Having a stroke after sixty

kelly

My husband has had a stroke and is now disabled and in a wheelchair, we have lived here for over ten years and are in the french health system.  Because he is sixty-three there seems to be a cut of point of being under sixty for a lot of the benefits we could claim for such as AAH.  Although the hospital and the assistant social are very helpful, I would like to hear from anybody who could give me any advice on any help I could get for when he comes home.   I have put a claim in for APA which, I think, has been excepted.   It has been a steep learning curve for me and I would be greatful to hear from anybody who is, or has gone through something similar.

Sorry to hear about your husband's stroke, Kelly. I can imagine the future must seem very daunting . My mother had a stroke which partially paralysed her and  she needed nursing care. But that was in UK. Thank God we are not in the same position here so I can't share experiences or advice on finance etc. If no-one else replies get in touch as I do know a man whose wife was wheelchair bound and he should be able to answer your questions. I hope you have some good friends to support you. Pat.

Thanks for your reply. Thankfully we do have some very good friends that have helped me out when I have needed them.  The problem is that we seem to be the first people we know that have met this kind of problem.  The fact that because we are totally in the french system.  Anyway, Thanks again, I will let you know how we go on. Kelly