Compulsory retirement age

Senga

Hi  everyone

Can anyone tell me if you have to pay contributions to CPAM after your E106 has ended, if your compulsory retirement age in the UK was 55.  I had to retire at 55 and if I had still be in the UK would not have had to make anymore contributions.( Fully paid up for a UK state pension, if I last it that long!) I want to know really if french worker who have a lower compulsory retirement age have to pay. Don't mind paying if that's the way it is, just want to avoid having to ask  these question in french at the CPAM office.

Thanks

Everyone resident in France has to contribute towards coverture maladie universelle (CMU) regardless of age/retirement status, except under certain conditions eg, they are on a low income, are disabled, or are in prison - or have their cover funded by another EU state, as in the case of the E106.  

So, when your E106 expires you will have to start paying for CMU yourself until you begin to receive your UK old age pension, at which time you will be issued with a Form E121 exonerating you from paying any future French contributions.

Surely your compulsory retirement at 55 in the UK refers to your retirement from a specific job, rather than retirement from employment in general? You're still below retirement age, ie. the age at which you're eligible for your state retirement pension, so aren't you in the same situation as someone who's taken early retirement? (Except for getting your occupational pension, of course. ) I think you're muddling up the two concepts of retirement age.

(By the way, how can you have logged up 44 years' contributions at the age of 55?  Were you sent up chimneys as a lad?)[:)]

[quote user="KathyC"]

(By the way, how can you have logged up 44 years' contributions at the age of 55?  Were you sent up chimneys as a lad?)[:)]

[/quote]

There's a White Paper out proposing that 30 years NI will suffice to qualify for a full state pension.

Could be early retirement through ill health. 

You suspect correctly. We have spoken on a few occasions about our past histories. For all I may feel I have achieved, I look around at my friends and marvel at some of their life styles and their wonderful achievements, not just for themselves but the huge amount of joy they have given others.........but one dear friend last month, when we  were back home (oh yes, for sure, home is England) said he had often envied me through our lives.....bluddy hell, this chap played for his country and a TOP club...one can imagine how I and others sharing a chat and a pint thought, "Is he bonkers or what" !!

The intellects amongst our bunch often have me groping to keep up (no, not that kind !) but whereas I moved to a different type of work style that my education was meant to lead to, many stayed within their "educational area" rather like you Dick and of course naturally the standard of learning went along a pace. I guess my further learning has been reading as much as possible and the old fav....life itself, including groping to keep abreast......[;-)]

Just thought I would put my toe in the water also , the way I understand it is , for instance I am going to take up residence in France in Mid january , so my E 106 will cover me in the health system for two years ( as I will only be 60 years old and retired early) and I will have to provide a top up insurance for this two years if I want an almost 100 percent repayment of my medical expenses.

After the two years I will have to pay a percentage of my un earned income  ( I think 11 percent) towards the Health system as well as providing myself with a top up insurance. All this happens irrespective of whether I am an early retiree , retired thro ill health etc etc as I understand it , it is compulsory whatever the circumstances ( aprat from a few special cases).I understand that un earned income in  the main is interest off investments , bank accounts etc but excludes Capitol ( apart from the interest portion of it)

Once I am 65 I believe it gets a bit easier ( not sure how much easier )

Is this a reasonable synopsis of the system ???

billy10

You're almost there, just a few details need correcting.

Your E106 means you won't have to pay contributions towards the state healthcare system but you'll need to purchase a top-up insurance to cover the shortfall in state reimbursements.

When your E106 expires, you'll have to re-register and pay your own state healthcare contributions - calculated on 8% of your revenu fiscal de reference (taxable income less allowances). As you say, you'll still need your top-up insurance.

Note that taxable income includes salaries, pensions, as well as unearned income such as bank interest and dividends.  It does not include capital unless you're worth more than 750,000 euros in which case you'll be liable to wealth tax as well.

Once you (or your wife) reach UK state retirement age and start to receive a UK old age pension, you qualify for an E121 which exonerates both of you from state healthcare contributions for life.  So, if you married a younger woman, you might not have to wait until you're 65!

Oh, and yes...you'll still need your top-up  [;-)]

Hi all,

This is a supplementary question to Sunday Driver's last post  about health cover.  My husband is Profession Liberale here in France -( we have been here for 13 years) and I started to receive the UK old age state pension last year.  At the moment we pay cotisations to a caisse R.S.I.( specifically for Profession Liberale) and my question is,  are we covered under the E121 that I have, or do we need to continue to pay to this caisse?  It would be wonderful not to have to pay these charges!

Regards,

Thanks Sunday Driver,

Wish I did qualify for wealth tax !!! All in its not so bad for the high standard of treatment that is available , I think its the old parody of " you only get out what you put in " which I am quite happy to do

Regards

Billy10  soon to be billy dix