top up insurance.

holliebabes

Get a few quotes from both national groups (Groupama seem to be at the same time one of the biggest and often the cheapest) and local ones (most if not all départements have mutuelles that operate locally).

Watch out for "stages" (the delay period, usually in the range 3-6 months, between when you start to pay and when you will be covered).

It isn't cheap but it is more-or-less essential. I looked at "self-insurance" (i.e. no mutuelle, raid savings if necessary) which was a possible for us (having sufficient capital) but didn't like the idea of perhaps (however unlikely) having to shell out €20,000-30,000 or more for a serious operation with fairly lengthy hospital stay (there are many operations which can involve costs of €1,500-2000 per day; intensive care is even more).

How realistic are those costs? I'm not entirely certain. Research was incredibly difficult (almost as though these numbers are state secrets) but I did eventually get hold of someone in the département's main hospital who gave me a few indicative numbers.

You probably need to budget approx. €500-1000 per person per year, depending on age (if you are very young it may be quite a lot less).

I agree with the people who have said that it's a good thing to have some top-up insurance, but don't assume that there's only one option.  The company I use (Mutuelle de Poitiers) offers four different levels of cover with different premiums, and I assume that most of the companies do something similar.

I agree that some form of top-up insurance is vital.

You can chose the level you want for each individual family member - for example me and the OH have 200% for dental work, but the kids only have basic as one is 4 and the other is still being treasted in the UK as she has orthodontal work ongoing

It costs us 83€ a month for 4 of us, which we've already seen back so far as I've had absolutely loads of dental work :(