healhcare

gerry

Hi this has most probably been talked about before so apologies in advance,but can anyone point me to a site or thread that will tell us the best way to obtain healthcare in france ,what is available and how much etc thanks Gerry

What nationality are you? If European, do you have any 'E' forms? Are you intending to work in France? Do you have an income? Do you have children? Are you married? What is your state of health, any permanent conditions? These may seem rather personal questions, but we need to know the answers in order to point you in the right direction.

This might give you some background: www.expathealthdirect.co.uk

Hi married couple .English,will work in France if poss,we have a small retirement income for my wife and savings,no children,my health good ,wife suffers from rheumatism but manageble ok otherwise ,not investigated e forms yet help most appreciated Gerry

If either or both of you receive state retirement pension, then get E121, otherwise apply for E106 from DWP, Newcastle. E106, depending on recent NI contribution record, can give up to two years (maybe even a little more) access to French health system funded from Britain. If you start work, then E106 is superseded and you pay contributions yourself. E121 gives permanent free entitlement. Note that you are entitled to same as any French resident, i.e. refunds of 70%, 65% or 35% on what you pay for medical treatment. So you can take out 'top up' insurance to cover the rest. If no E106 or similar then you pay 8% of income above a certain amount (just under 8000€ pa) as contributions. If very low income you may not have to pay anything. For permanent conditions you may (not will) get 100% coverage for that condition only.

That's the basics in a few words, the link in the post above will tell you more. It can get very complicated, we are only scratching the surface here.