Hospitals in/ near Dinan and what would a Diabetic do in France?

polly

[8-)]  Shortly my family and i will be moving to Dinan![:-))] One member of my family is Diabetic. I ma sorry if i am quite open with medical problems but i cant help becoming stuck or confused about wat will happen. Do they have "clinics" for younger patients please help!:)

I have just registered a diabetic English freind who has just made the move over here from the UK with my GP.  He was prescribed with his usual drugs (in one case a different name but the equivelant).  She (the doctor) is now making arrangements for him to have blood tests etc, so she can get a feel for his case and take over his treatment here.  No problems at all, a very smoothe transition.  As SD says, this is not an uncommon condition, sadly.

I have diabetes and was taken into hospital as an emergency-nothing to do with diabetes-I told the doctor in A&E what medication I was on and they supplied and continued the medication while I was a patient and carried out regular bloodtests(even during the night-with a torch).Excellent service.

Do register with a doctor asap as he will have to apply for you (or yours) to get a certificate to say you are 100% free from charges and this could take a couple of months to come through.  Also, when this comes through dont forget to get your card mettez a jour (updated) this can be done in the pharmacy or CPAM office.  You are then entitled to free:- annual eye test and cardiology check, regular blood and urine tests, a monthly prescription to see a chiropodist, medication relating to the diabetes and your doctors fee refunded when you see him in relation to the diabetes.  Unlike the UK you will have to pay towards any other medications unless they directly affect your diabetes.

My doctor has been wonderful so I wish you all the best for a good result. 

My husband has type 2 and we moved over when he was 30, he's had excellent care and was prescribed a *new wonder* drug nearly 2 years ago which has only just been allowed to be prescribed foc in the uk and before had to be paid for via a private prescription.  I find the care of him to be excellent, if he would just listen to the doc's advice !!!