young mum and 2 children moving to France

Charallais

[quote user="Traci"]

The work i'm doing here is varied, painting - interior & exterior, curtain making and soft furnishings, garden designing, upholstery, decking, I already said earlier its sporadic and I use most of these funds in taking my ex back to court for his non- payments, and just trying to survive here.  I currently don't have any medical provision for either of us, so i just pay the amount due and hope that nothing serious happens to either of us, and want to get this aspect sorted out as well.........................and as for being tarred with my brush!.........well you should try eating bread for 3 weeks and telling a child there's nothing else as mummy can't afford it.  I'm doing the best i can for now and remaining positive.

[/quote]

Although I'm naturally sorry for your situation, presumably it was your choice to come to live in France rather than remain in the UK where you have family. Unfortunately you do yourself no favours by admitting that you're also working illegally as well. Given all the skills you seem to have and the fact that you have a property whose value you could realise were you to return, I would have thought that you could have made a decent living in the UK if you so wished.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traci, I won't pretend to understand you. Due the times you have posted I assume that you have a phone, an ordi and internet access.

How broke have you got to be to have these things? I just know that we didn't have a phone at all for the first two years we were here.

It is true that in the UK you cannot always get financial help, if a person has what the government considers to be means. Owning a property in France was probably something that they considered as means.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

Traci, I won't pretend to understand you. Due the times you have posted I assume that you have a phone, an ordi and internet access.

How broke have you got to be to have these things? I just know that we didn't have a phone at all for the first two years we were here.

It is true that in the UK you cannot always get financial help, if a person has what the government considers to be means. Owning a property in France was probably something that they considered as means.

[/quote]

Traci's original post says "several properties".

I have just been reading through this and feel very saddened by some of the remarks. Surely the welfare and happiness of the children concerned is paramount. These mothers want to do what is right for their children. I have been there; a single parent for 25 years. My children didn't need or have many material posessions; nor sometimes much food. But they had love. I am a grannny as well now. I know if my family are ever in a position where they need me I am there for them. It's Mothering Sunday tomorrow in the UK, so a very special greeting to Tracy and Charallais, and Daughter. There but by the Grace of  God go any of us. Go for it girls, keep those children happy and smiling; and do whatever you have to. There are too many people in this world who would just love to have a mother around...............

Bon courage; Molly

Mooky, whilst I respect the good will of your sentiments, are you also in favour of people in the UK claiming benefits or working illegally? Having children to provide for cannot be an excuse for every sort of behaviour or you'll open the floodgates.

Charallais posted what amounted to a cry for help in her OP. Please can we stick to the point and make sure that any further posts to this thread answer the original question which seems to have been forgotten.

If anyone would like to start another thread about the legality or morality of a single unspported mother bringing her children to France they are, of course, at liberty to do so.

Hoddy

Getting back to the original request for how to get health cover without an E106.

I was in a similar situation having travelled before coming here and not having paid NI in the previous year (according to their calender 2 years) I was told that I might (but they could not confirm) get just a few months of cover. When I asked why could I not use my E111 (in the example of an accident) they said it was not appropriate.

Well I have always thought that,that word (appropriate) was a cop out for people not wanting to say the real truth, anyway I applied on-line for the new EHIC card, it has been working for me,  I even have now a French social security number and repayments direct into my French account, it is also valid for 5 years.

It may just be the temporary lifeline that your daughter is looking for, it may not be "appropriate" for her (or me) but it is for the individuals conscience to decide whether to use it or for how long in circumstances when there is no other solution.

An  EHIC issued by the UK is no longer valid as soon as you become resident in another country. If you look at the site it says that in the conditions.

So IF someone decides, off their own bat, that they can circumvent the rules because someone said that word approprate, then more fool them if they get done for fraud, and end up with debts because they have to repay the health system.

The EHIC is a good thing, it won't be if abused and the rules change.

I suspect Charallais, that if you say you will take responsibility for your daughter and grand daughters, then them handing in a letter refusing an E106 might be enough to get them into the french health service. That doesn't mean to say that they could claim much else in France and they really would be your responsibility. They have entitlement in the UK. 

Why don't you read all this and the links and phone some of these numbers yourself. I would if it were my family. I would be making a song and dance and not posting on here about it or moaning about the people on here.

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violence-survivors-handbook.asp?section=0001000100080001

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-violence-survivors-handbook.asp?section=000100010008000100320005

My sister told me off last night as she said I was using the wrong terminology because I keep saying Family allowance, its either child benefit or family tax credit

Found this : http://www.google.lnk.quickstartuk.com/uk_service/Info_pack_short.asp?infoInd=43&gclid=CKq1rvGb_ooCFQXclAodSVSdGQ

(I'm not suggesting you pay anyone for info - you should be able to sort this out yourself)

and http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/cb-key.htm

Could your daughter be entitled to this while she is in the UK (as she is working some hours): http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/TaxCredits/DG_10010458

I can assure everyoe we are taking expert advice on what we are doing to get our daughter and grandchildren here and have found that, as often happens, it depends on who you talk to.

People have said that as she gets child benefit already for the children paid into her bank account she would still get it paid. But (there always is!) to do that she would have to be in receipt of job seeker's allowance, guardians allowance, state pension, widow's/bereavement benefit, industrial injury disablement benefit or Incapacity Benefit. As my husband and I receive IB we could claim on her behalf.

The French CPAM are asking for National Insurance numbers, my daughter has got one but of course the children don't have one but the French authorities could contact the International Child Benefit section for the reference number allocated when the children first get Child Benefit are which becomes their NI number when they get to 15.

For those who feel she can stay in the Uk I can assure there is no chance of that. I have mentioned that she is entitled to the property as the council provided it for the children and the person who has custody, my daughter. Her husband refuses to move out. To go through the legal system will take ages and already she is having to stay in the flat because she has no where else to go and we all know how long these processes take; so she just wants to leave as soon as possible, just as he wants her to be gone as soon as possible.

Some people don't think these ideas through saying she can do this lor that but forget the nitty gritty like where would she stay while the council go through their proceedures.

We have a home here for her and the children she obviously wants her family around her: it is just her family is in France. 

>>People have said that as she gets child benefit already for the children paid into her bank account she would still get it paid. But (there always is!) to do that she would have to be in receipt of job seeker's allowance, guardians allowance, state pension, widow's/bereavement benefit, industrial injury disablement benefit or Incapacity Benefit. As my husband and I receive IB we could claim on her behalf.<<

The reason I think she may still get it is because her husband (for the time being) is remaining in the UK. What about tax credit - can she claim that ? Even if only for the time she remains in the UK.

I really am sympathetic to your and her plight, but how she can be treated as a dependant of either you or your husbands when it looks as if she is over 21 and married just defeats me ? Will you have to prove she is your daughter ?

From what I have read here it looks as if the refusal to grant a E106 may get her in the French system which is naturally your main concern - the very best of luck with it, I hope it works out well.

I was told by the Child Support Agency that if I moved out of the UK they could not chase my ex-wife for the maintenance she owes for her son. Please check this care fully Charallais as I would not want your daughter to miss out.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

An  EHIC issued by the UK is no longer valid as soon as you become resident in another country. If you look at the site it says that in the conditions.

So IF someone decides, off their own bat, that they can circumvent the rules because someone said that word approprate, then more fool them if they get done for fraud, and end up with debts because they have to repay the health system.

The EHIC is a good thing, it won't be if abused and the rules change.

[/quote]

I thought that I was somewhat putting my head above the parapet when offering the suggestion to the poster, it was intended as a possible short term way to reduce her anxiety.

TU I do understand your viewpoint and can appreciate the assumptions that you have made but whilst not wanting to discuss my situation on this forum (but please feel free to ask me anything by PM) I want to offer the following in my defence.

I am not (at this time) actually deemed as resident in France, I have discussed my situation at length with Newcastle after carefully reading the booklets that they sent me. This was following an accident when I walked through a plate glass window at Intermarche but was frightened to go to hospital in case they went overboard and I might end up with a huge bill, I was also a little concussed and irrational.

I have not actually used my EHIC because of the following:

I had to call out SAMU after a paralysing back injury (I live alone) and thereafter received daily injections from an infirmiere, at the end of the treatment I took all my feuille de soin's together with my then paper E111 to the local social security office.

As I had a French address and bank account this info was taken for the reimbursement to be made direct (I received about 70%). Some while later I had some other Dental treatment and went again with the feuille de soin to the same office, I told them that my E111 had expired and I now had an EHIC with a different number, the lady explained that she did not need it as I was now on the system, had a social security number and should use that from now on.

Since then I have recieved reimbursement twice for another Dentist bill and for orthodontic insoles after my doctor hiking companion diagnosed me as having "Pieds Valguse" and referred me officially to my other surgeon friend.

The social security office have even asked me to just drop the signed forms into their letter box and they will forward them to CMU (or whoever) on my behalf.

I honestly don't believe that I have been abusing or circumventing any system (UK or French), or have committed fraud.

It's probably worth pointing out that the EHIC replaced several E forms, such as the E128, as well as the E111, so an EHIC has a rather wider scope than the old E111 and it's not necessarily a question of abuse of the system.

I have been in France under the E128 and had a social security number, and top up insurance, and could reclaim medical costs through CPAM (though I didn't have a carte vitale). So anybody doing the same now could well be living in France with an EHIC, quite legally.

Yes TU, I think you are quite right in what you say about the EHIC issued by one country ceasing to be valid as soon as you become resident in another. Though there are anomalies for E106 holders, for example. The E128 doesn't exist any more, people use the EHIC instead, I just mentioned it to prove that you can be living in France, and have a SS number, and be using the EHIC quite legitimately, so it doesn't necessarily mean that anybody here more or less full time under the EHIC is abusing the system (not quite sure where that came from). I should probably have kept quiet because I have only confused things further - the EHIC is temporary, like the forms it replaced, so although it extends to more than just visitors, it is definitely not applicable to residents.

Charallais, have you phoned Newcastle about child benefit? Their number is 0044191 2135000.

If you read my earlier postings you will see I hve spoken to the INTERNATIONAL CHILD BENEFIT SECTION their number is 00 44 191 225 1000. There is no other way she can get Child Benefit from the UK due to the provisos I have laid out UNLESS we claim on her behalf because WE get IB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I think she may still get it is because her husband (for the time being) is remaining in the UK. What about tax credit - can she claim that ? Even if only for the time she remains in the UK.

I really am sympathetic to your and her plight, but how she can be treated as a dependant of either you or your husbands when it looks as if she is over 21 and married just defeats me ? Will you have to prove she is your daughter ?

From what I have read here it looks as if the refusal to grant a E106 may get her in the French system which is naturally your main concern - the very best of luck with it, I hope it works out well.

Her husband will remain in the UK, I have said that before, he wants HER to move to France he has NO INTENTION of coming here unless he does so to visit the children. They do not get any benefits and are the UK likely to give it to her if she is still in the same property as her husband? No, of course not. They may be living sperate lives but they are still a 'family' in the eyes of the benefit system until one or other of them leaves and as he refuses she has to.

Both my husband and I pay tax in France and in UK due to double taxation agreement. IB is taxable as is our 'public sector' pensions (not state pension).

I have spoken to the International Child Benefits Section, the Pension Service and Medical Benefits because they need to provide the necessary paperwork for her to leave Uk and have meetings with the CAF, Centre Social and CPAM here in France. ALL the advice I have received has come from these sources. But staying in UK is not the answer, some of you who are posting should try putting yourselves in other peoples' situations and think how you would cope when faced with such obstacles. The council will not rehouse her and if she moved to another area she would have made herself purpursly homeless, no one else can home her amongst family and friends, so as I can see you would rather a 26 year old was on the streets with a 5 and 3 year old I feel ashamed of you.

As for her coming on the back of our E121 not a E106 this is the advice of the Medical Benefits any problems with that please phone 00 44 191  218 1999.

Charallais,

Yet another to give you advice! Your daughter can't get child benefit in the UK if she comes to live in France but she can claim and receive it in France. She needs to notify Newcastle of the date she is leaving England and they will supply a letter in French which needs to be given to CAF when she applies. You can download the application form from the CAF website (caf.fr) there you will also find the child benefit rates. This is not scrounging but simple european entitlement. I don't know how good your French is but the form is not that complicated, if you are struggling with it then the local CAF office will help you. Ours are very helpful but I'm sure there are awkward ones.

She will also be able to register with the anpe as looking for work. In order to do this she will probably need to register with assedic who are the unemployment benefit people even though she won't receive it. If she registers with the anpe she may be able to get help with french lessons which will help her to get employment and also help with retraining all of which will help her to get a job.