french casualty department

La Vette

My UK surgery would not let me see a Doctor for 2 weeks after again showing her the letter the receptionist said it was not deemed a priority, I asked her if she knew what Malaria was and she didn't.

Yep, like I say, a 'free' system is a very noble aspiration, but there has to be sacrifices, like expediancy, customer service, pleasant receptionists etc.  [:)]  AND let's not forget that the NHS is a government dept. and having worked (as a contractor) in the gov. and at the risk of much abuse, me thinks an efficient public service (Servant) is a rare thing.

I had a similar experience a few years ago in Oz. My four y.o. daughter spilled a scalding coffee down her front (my fault BTW) which peeled of a chunk of skin about the size as the palm of your hand. Luckily we were in a cafe nest to a surf life saving club and they had a first aid person who helped us, then told us to go to the local private hospital's A&E. Something I had never heard of. They were fantastic. One doctor and two nurses in the room most of the time. They arranged an appointment with a plastic surgeon the following week at an hospital near where we were staying with family. They were great and wrote letters for the UK doctors etc. The scars tool about three years to heal, so it was quite serious. Like yourself J.R. it never cost a penny and we had the insurance etc and I was more that happy to provide the details, bet they didn't want them. When we got back to the UK, the first appointment with a plastic surgeon was about four months, which luckily coincided with the followup recommended before we left Oz.

On a lighter note, when we got to the A&E, I stopped the car to allow my wife to take my daughter in first while I parked the car. As we had been focusing on my older daughter, we didn't notice our 2 y.o. covering herself in ketchup from her hotdog.  A few minutes later I ran in to main entrance and asked a cleaner to point me in the direction of A&E. She looked at the sleeping toddler absolutely covered in ketchup and gasped in horror. She ran all the way to A&E with me, telling me everything would be ok and I was far too embarassed to contradict her [Www]

Oh yeah, my one experience with the French health system was a dream...better stay on topic.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My UK surgery would not let me see a Doctor for 2 weeks after again showing her the letter the receptionist said it was not deemed a priority, I asked her if she knew what Malaria was and she didn't.

I finally went directly to the hospital and got the blood testing resumed, they could not discuss the results with me but instead sent them to my surgery, every time I went there I was told "computer says no!!!) you don't need to keep bothering us we will contact you if there is any concern.

Don't even get me started about doctors receptionists in the UK. I'd sack the lot of them. The doctors surgery my son now uses,there are 4 doctors and about 6 receptionists. Waste of money, absolute waste of time the lot of them, as the french say most of them pet plus haut que leur cul, arrogance and as has been said mixed in with ignorance too and they are as a general rule dire. A little organistation and people doing a tadge more for themselves and what a great savings for proper medical stuff could be done. Maybe they could have an extra nurse or two at the surgery or another doctor, now wouldn't that be good.

See I can have a whinge about the UK. [:)] Because I know it isn't perfect their either.

ps my cousin recently started work as a receptionist, I've told her exactly what I have said here. She tells me that it is essential work and they are very busy. If it was essential then I would have been seeing receptionists in France for the last quarter of a century, and I told her that too.

When I go to a private hospital in the UK there is one receptionist in a large department. In an NHS hospital (the one that has taken out 1/3 of the lightbulbs to save money) there are 2. Mostly they talk to each other, or the large numbers of staff wandering about.

Last week I was in X-Ray and there were 3 patients and about 12 staff. Other staff kept coming in for a chat - one had a large leprechaun hat from a  party the previous evening, and she was showing it to everyone and they were trying it on. She gave everyone who hadn't been at the party a rundown of the fun, and some of the people who had been to the party joined in. Nurses appeared at regular intervals carrying folders.

I had a 9:00am appointment, but the first patient wasn't seen until 9:15 and I was seen at 9:30. There were no emergencies...

Our doctor here in France does not have a receptionist, if we need him we go in the afternoon and sit in the waiting room that is usually full of little old ladies, we all remember who came in last when the doctor pops his head round the door for the next patient. He lets me struggle to describe my ailment in my not very good French, then speaks to me in English, I carry on in French...we both understand each other.

The last time I was there I had a virus causing extreme dizziness and a dear old lady who was in front of me told me to go in on her turn beacuse I looked very ill[:D] I have this idea that receptionists have a very difficult job to do sometimes, fending off malingerers and beligerent folk and sometimes I guess that we may just catch them on a very bad day.

In our surgery back in the UK they had a notice saying that a patient is only allowed to consult the doctor with one ailment at a time, which I found quite funny. I spent a lot of time in that surgery waiting room as I had to have a weekly blood test for a period of one year, in the corner was a toy box for the children, remarkable how they played when meant to be ill? mind you I was always ill on Fridays as a schoolboy! One week someone put razor blades in the toy box (there were some sick minds where we lived) luckily no children were injured. our doctor was one of the nicest most gentle men I have ever met and he was nearly driven to a nervous breakdown by his workload and government interference in the running of his surgery. We were very fortunate to live in his catchment area.

bset regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

will this bring about the end of this thread only just lately my posts seem to have that effect! I must be really boring. (not a question)

There is usually only one actual receptionist at our doctors, but someone to deal with other enquiries too, plus a secretary and then various nurses, health visitors and doctors in and out of the office.

I usually play the 'I need help, whats the best way to get it' ?  card............usually works, but then I only make a fuss if I am desperate.

One aspect of the French 'casualty department' system that needs to be mentioned is the service provided by the Pompiers.  Last summer I was stung by a wasp and went into total anaphalactic shock.  The last thing I remembered was collapsing in my kitchen, in my cottage, in the middle of nowhere.  I came round to find a doctor pulling a needle out of my arm.  4 Pompiers were also in attendance.  They eventually whisked me off to hospital with the greatest efficiency.  According to my partner it took them 7 minutes to get to me.  Bearing in mind that this was 6-30am they can only be praised for their promptness.  The doctor later told me that if they'd been 2 minutes later it would have been too late.  I am often grateful that I didn't have to depend on a 999 call to the UK ambulance service.

Just from personal experience can I please advise anyone who has had a bad reaction to any sort of sting in the past to ensure that they don't get stung again.  Apparently your body doesn't build up antibodies, it reacts more violently with each sting.  Believe me, I'm living proof - thankfully!

John, what were you doing annoying wasps at 6:30 in the morning? I usually wait until everyone is awake.

I had a similar experience when I was stung by a hornet - I cut my hand open on a power saw years ago and it hurt less - my reaction was naturally to take a swipe at it. Unfortunately I had a brand new handsaw in my 'shooing' hand and whilst I did kill the hornet, I thought I was going to bleed to death from the loss of blood, after I ripped open the 'stinging hand'. It was all very 'Some mothers do have 'em.

In the US, the emergency peeps are often the pompiers also. It seems a bit strange at first.

Glad to hear they they were so efficient for you.

Cheers

Old story - but when I fell downstairs (concussion, broken wrist, trauma all over, 2 black eyes) I was in no condition to think of the number, and Julie didn't know it - so I ended up untreated.

KEEP THAT EMERGENCY NUMBERS CARD NEXT TO THE PHONE!

Oooh. I feel better for that...

and Julie didn't know it - so I ended up untreated.

I have a feeling that my mrs would say she didn't know it either [:P]

Actually, it would be prudent to remember the European wide number. I think it is something like 222 or 221 etc. Like I say, it would be prudent to know it [Www]

on a friendly note -The last time I went to my Uk surgery i had to have another blood test - the medical insuranc guys were still trying to convince themselves i was alive - however i returned from that surgery with four nice plump partidges. Usually I leave with medicine or my daughters' epilepsy medication, it's not often ne gets given something from the receptionist ...

keni

Here in the UK, I moved house about a year ago.

Where I lived initially, I had a great relationship with the doctors and their staff.

At my new doctors surgery, a very miserable looking receptionist was quite rude to me and I pointed it out to her, asking why. She just glared and did not answer.

There seems to be about 6 receptionists at this new surgery, presumably working in rotation. Although I smile and make polite conversation, none of them respond other than in a very formal way. Obviously, as a result of having the audacity to speak to one of their colleagues for rudeness, I am now a marked man!

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

"Actually, it would be prudent to remember the European wide number. I think it is something like 222 or 221 etc. Like I say, it would be prudent to know it "

oglefakes

[8-)]

would that be 112 ?

[/quote]

That is the number (112) given in all French telephone books as being the international number. There is something about 222 that rings a bell (sorry) but I can't remember what it is.

Yep, 112 rings a bell, no pun...

Yeah, the 222's got me though.  Can someone please call it and let me know.

Speaking of emergency numbers - I may be the last person alive to discover this - they still work in mobile phones even when you take out the SIM card and give the phone to the kids to play with. Apparently.

BBC Website story - NHS staff 'would not be patients'

Nearly two thirds of health staff would not be happy to be a patient in their own NHS trust, a survey shows.

The Healthcare Commission poll of more than 128,000 workers also found just 45% felt patients were a top priority.

Patient groups said views on patient care were "deeply worrying" and caused by the financial pressures in the NHS.

Just 39% agreed they would be happy with the care provided in their own trust, with 27% disagreeing and 33% neither agreeing or disagreeing - slightly worse than last year.

And 45% said patients were a top priority - down from 50% 12 months ago - with the rest either undecided or believing they were not a top priority.

I must say that I have noticed little or no difference in the attitude of receptionists and the ambience of waiting areas between the British public and private sectors or the French system. Although receptionists and appointment systems are often regarded as an unnecessary luxury by French GPs. All waiting rooms seem to share the same uncomfortable chairs, out of date copies of the sort of magazine you would never buy yourself, and the resident looney who harangues the staff and other patients.

[quote user="Will"]

I must say that I have noticed little or no difference in the attitude of receptionists and the ambience of waiting areas between the British public and private sectors or the French system. Although receptionists and appointment systems are often regarded as an unnecessary luxury by French GPs. All waiting rooms seem to share the same uncomfortable chairs, out of date copies of the sort of magazine you would never buy yourself, and the resident looney who harangues the staff and other patients.

[/quote]

Will, we are having a good time taking the pi ss out of the NHS, so don't bring in facts or realities to ruin it [:D]

I must say that my mum manages to private (different system to the NHS) GP's surgery which is quite busy - they see about 1400 - 1500 patients a week with four receptionists- and everytime I go in there, which is only about once every two or three years, so most the staff don't know me, but they are always very polite. The reason? the old girl sacks them if they treat the patients badly. Thats the way the (partner) doctors want it. To be fair, she sacked an (employee) doctor once for the same reason after a patients parents complained. He told a teenage girl she had cancer and she would probably die. More or less in those words and no compassion. When he was asked why, he said "I'm not a social worker" or some such. As he was in his 60's the couldn't see it as inexperience etc.

Oh, they also have new magazines every month. About 30 of them as one of the staff has a fuel card (and a new car every 24 months) as part of a  divorce settlement and she buys tons of stuff at the garage in addition to fuel, including all the magazines she donates to the practice. BTW I don't usually entertain vindictiveness, but it involved him having TWO families on the go at the same time [blink] and a huge salary and extensive travel which is how he managed to get away with it for about four years. I digress.

Without starting a France v U.K. - "who has the better service" topic, I have to say that our local NHS Doctors have just moved to a new, purpose built surgery complex; waiting room has interesting artwork on the walls, comfy, suitable seating, an area with toys for small children and a good selection of the latest, interesting magazines in folders. (The downside is you don't usually have long enough to wait  to be able have a good read![:)])

Local Pharmacist has a shop as part of this complex this is open 08.00 - 23.00 Mon. - Sat. and 10.00 to 20.00 on a Sunday. There's a local dental pratice who now have a surgery upstairs and all sorts of other medical related facilities, physio and screening facilities. Repeat prescriptions can be requested online and the few times I have had dealings with the receptionists and Doctors I have not had a problem. So it's not all as bad as some would believe.[:)]