Multiple Prescription

Jon 1

Unless they know the patient and his condition, most doctors will at first give a prescription for 1 or 2 months. This ensures the patient gets the medical follow-up the doctor needs to continue prescribing.

After that "get-to-know-you" period, the doctor will usually agree to write a renewable prescription for 3 or 6 months.

However, the pharmacists are usually not allowed to give more that 1 month worth of medication at a time.

(the CPAM/CRAM/CNAM apparently do not want more than 1 month worth of medication in private hands as they have to pay for it ultimately and if the patient dies, the money paid into the patient's account is lost to them, or so my pharmacist told me!)

My doctor insists that I see him every month for my prescriptions. This has been OK up till now but he was on holiday last week so I have been unable to get an appointment until next week and have no medication left.

I will have to remember to ask him what his holiday plans are every time I visit him in future!

cheminot

[quote user="cheminot"]My doctor insists that I see him every month for my prescriptions. This

has been OK up till now but he was on holiday last week so I have been

unable to get an appointment until next week and have no medication

left. I will have to remember to ask him what his holiday plans are every time I visit him in future!

[/quote]

You should be able to make an appointment with his locum who should have all your details at the surgery.

In the event of your doctor being unavailable for whatever reason you are allowed to temporarily see another doctor.

This may be his locum or another doctor. Think of when people are away from their home e g on holiday, and need to see a doctor.

Not taking my medication wouldn't be life threatening but if I were to miss several days it could take some weeks to get back into balance.

Unless you need a physical check up every month I would be asking why he won't prescribe for a longer period.

With regard to Pharmacists only dispensing one month at a time, whilst this is normally true they also can be flexible. As an example we were away for six weeks last winter so our Pharmacist dispensed two months prescription in one go for me.