cost of emergency admission to hospital

rufford

My english neighbour was admitted to hospital (as an emergency) with heart problems and is now very worried about the cost.  He is a pensioner  and has a carte vitale but no top up insurance.  I understand that there is a daily cost for hospital stays (16 euros?)  but can anyone give me further information so that he has some idea and is not worrying out of proportion.  He has had x-rays, blood tests and is on a drip;  is each treatment costed and then he will have to pay 30% of each?  Thanks in advance for your help.

As a general rule, in-patient hospital treatment is covered at 80%, pre hospitalisation consultations at 70% and post operative consultations at 60%.  The shortfall (ticket moderator) plus the daily standard "boarding" fees, plus any extras like single room, TV, phone etc, are charged to the patient and normally covered by their top-up insurance.

If he does not have a top-up insurance and his resources are such that he cannot afford to pay himself, then there are two options open to him: - apply to his CPAM for a CMU complimentaire (essentially if his income is below a certain level, they pay for his top-up costs) or apply to his CPAM for the costs to be met under their action sanitaire et social.

Finally, if the treatment is classified as concerning an affection de longue durée (heart problems usually are), then the treatment fees are met in full, but the daily charges/extras remain chargeable to him.