OSTEOPATH NEEDED!

Lautrec

Could anyone inform me if they know of an osteopath within striking distance of Ruffec? We have been to one at Niort, but it is a round journey 0f 200 kms from where we live and we are hoping that there might be one a little nearer. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Lautrec

There is one in the centre of Ruffec, in the small square/car park near the Post Office. Dr Soubeyran, 2 pl Aristide Briand 16700 RUFFEC. 05 45 31 08 06
An appointment costs about 50€, comprising the standard charge for a GP consultation plus the osteopath treatment and takes 20-25 minutes first visit.

I'd check with your own GP first that osteopathy is appropriate for your condition; not all GPs are in favour of it!

Good luck

Sid

The doctor referred to above in Ruffec is a GP, but not our regular GP, who is also a qualified osteopath.

I don't know why any other consultation would be cheaper. Ruffec is much closer to Nanteuil en Valle than Niort, a saving of about 70km each way by my reckoning.

I assume, but can't confirm, that further visits would be charged simply for the manipulation treatment. You don't HAVE to go to your own doctor for treatment, although I personally think it would be advisable to consult him/her first.

In any case, my wife had her costs refunded via CPAM and mutuelle, and also the costs of X-rays, which the doctor also required her to have. A phone call to the receptionist will confirm that the fees are refundable.

There is a radiologist in Ruffec too, just a painful (in her case) couple of hundred metres walk away, on the old N10 road leaving the town going north, near the Renault dealer.

Sid

Hello Ron,

"if you have a specific problem you should go to your doctor who will give you a prescription for a course of treatment at a physiotherapist/osteopath, much cheaper than 50€ a session and covered by your CPAM and mutuelle."

What you are saying here is somewhat misleading and I am sure you mean well. There is no CPAM cover for osteopaths even if referred by your GP . However, some "top up" providers will offer complementary medicines including osteopathy in their package of benefits. There is CPAM cover for physiotherapy. Because the status of osteopaths in France has, until very recently, been a grey area some practitioners have been calling themselves 'kine-osteopaths". However a law was passed in March whereby osteopaths will be much more strictly regulated and demanding criteria will be applied to those wishing to be registered in this profession.

Regards

Owen

[email protected]

Thank you all for your comments and info. We know of the doctor in Ruffec and my wife has has been to him, but she found him a little too tough for her! and the treatment was not covered by the CPAM. The Osteopath in Niort is first class; in fact he is English  born, but it is rather a long journey to get there and back!.

We are now going to try a recommended French Physio, also in Ruffec, who who we understand is very good and will not cost a arm and a leg, as it will be covered by the CPAM and back-up Mutuelle.

I am afraid that when we resided in the UK years ago, we took Osteopath and Chiropractors for granted, but now in France in our twilight years, our aches and pains do need expert treatment quite regularly!

But thanks for your assistance, it is very appreciated1

Hi Owen

It was the 50€ I was trying to help avoid, What I meant was for Lautrec to the GP and get a prescription for a physio through the "normal channels" covered by refunds etc rather than go down the osteopath route directly.  I am having a course of Kine now and it not that far removed from what I had from an osteopath  in the UK so as you say its a grey area.