Husband working in UK, Wife and Kids living in France - Healthcare?

Goodlife

My wife and 3 kids will be moving to France soon while I stay and work in the UK for 12 more months (lots of weekend commuting!).  I'm moving out in 2008 to work within the French subsid of my current employer.

My wife has never worked, so has no Tax or NI contributions to her name in the last 3 years which I believe means she is not eligible to an E106, but since I'm working (and paying tax & NI) in the UK might they be eligible to continue to use their EHIC?  Would an EHIC be sufficient for them to use the French Medical system to it's full extent?

Or is there something else entirely we need to apply for?

Thanks for any advice.

A quick update having just phoned the EHIC enquiries line.  They said the moment my wife becomes a resident of France her UK EHIC expires and she'll need to apply to the French authorities for any Medical coverage.  As she's not going to be paying tax or NI-equiv in France, will she be granted any Medical cover or allowed to use the French Medical system?  Would the children (all under 10) be covered?  What would we need to register for?

There's a nice English speaking lady at the CPAM in LM who will help you.  I'm sure it's worth a visit, they are all very helpful there.  You need a letter from the Centre for non residents to say that she has no UK entitlement before she begins the process of getting registered in France.  I needed proof of income (based on my French tax return) so I'm afraid I don't know how this will work for her.

If you are still working and paying tax and NI in Britain, you should be able to get a E form to cover your family in France. Most likely an E109, though some people seem to get E106.

There is an English speaking CPAM help line, run by CPAM de la Manche in St-Lô (50) but will give advice for any part of France. 0820 904 212

I was in this position for a year some twelv e years ago now and it was definately an E109 you  require but it does have a limited lifespan. The E106 seems only for those who come completely to France and do not continue to pay their NI etc in the UK or are working there.

[quote user="Val_2"]I was in this position for a year some twelv e years ago now and it was definately an E109 you  require but it does have a limited lifespan. The E106 seems only for those who come completely to France and do not continue to pay their NI etc in the UK or are working there.[/quote]Thanks very much for the info.  We'll look into the E109.

I would suggest, though, you don't do anything in haste.  We arrived in France definately in 2005, registered with CPAM, then husband was advised to train in the UK rather than France and come back to work in three years.  CPAM sent us a bill for more than I earnt last year, basing it on what we had both earnt in 2004.  As my husband had to move to the UK in Feb 2006, they suggested we pay 1/3 of the annual bill, and suggested that next time he moves here permanently we use the EHIC(from the UK) for a year, or at least six months.  We have it in writing from CPAM!  We are based in France, but with my husband studying in the UK we spend more time there.

I would suggest talking with your husbands firm to see what health insurance they offer when he does move to France.  It may make your next move easier. 

By the way, we call the lady from the CPAM a "dragon", but she is now a nice dragon, as she was the one who has helped us not pay all the bill!

M