Thyroxine - free or not free in France?

debseal

Is anyone else taking thyroxine every day and, if so, do you have to pay for it in France or are you exempt from charges as in UK?

I see that some drugs are free for diabetics or people living with HIV or certain heart conditions but can't find anything on a non-functioning thyroid.

You should not have to pay for any medicines in France. Adequate health assurance is obligatory for any French resident. This may be through the CMU (contributed to according to your income - those on low income can get it free) or, for those who are not eligible to join for any reason, through private schemes. These will offer you 65% for most medication (35% for some, mostly regarded as non-essential). The remainder can be covered by a complementaire assurance, which most people seem to have, and again there is a non-contributory scheme for those on very low income.

Also, if you suffer from a permanent and serious condition - affection de longue duree - you can be eligible for 100% cover for treatments etc for that condition (though not for others). There is a list of illnesses which are likely to attract such cover (http://www.cpam92.fr/assure/pratique/ald/ald30maladies.htm), but it is not automatic. Your 100% cover have to be recommended by your doctor, and agreed by your primary assurance provider (CPAM for most people). Similarly, conditions that are not listed can be recommended and agreed in certain cases. So just because somebody gets a certain drug with no charge, it does not follow that others will. Different departmental CPAMs may not be consistent in the way the 'list' is applied, either.

If you think you are paying too much make sure you are properly registered with a primary health caisse, and then see your medicin traitant. Your doctor may be prescribing branded drugs rather than generics, which even if you are paying just the 35% non-refunded portion, can work out costly.

Having looked at the link provided for the 100% cover for treatments on the list, I ran the list through an online translator, which I am afraid didn't really translate very much into coherent English, and as my French is very poor at the moment, could somebody please tell me if medication for osteoarthritis (i.e. pain killers and glucosamine), would come under the 100% category.

Osteoarthritis is not on the 100% list and glucosamine is considered a "supplement" and not a drug so no reimbursement. I used to buy it from the UK until I realised I was no better with it than without it! Painkillers are usually reimbursed at 65%.

Glucosamine is usually regarded here as a supplement or even as a complimentary therapy, like homoeopathy and isn't covered usually by the 100% and even some top-up insurances don't cover it even if you get it on prescription tho generalists do prescribe it.

I take it and buy it from a company in the Channel Islands (cheapest prices usually) or wait until I'm back in the UK and buy it from Holland and Barrets when they have their sales on, best value around. 

I take levothyrox (thyroxine) every day, and have done for the last 15 years.  As you say, in the UK all my prescriptions were free. Unfortunately here in France I pay towards the levothyrox like all other prescribed drugs, but it's less than 2 euros per month.

I don't have complimentary insurance, so that's the net amount.

Hope this helps,

Aly

You have to pay!Albeit 2 euros or so per month.The only "hassle" is the lack or repeat prescriptions which means a visit to the doc. every 2 months and about 3 blood tests a year .Our doc. says it is illegal to prescribe drugs for more than 2 months.Our friend 2 miles away-different doc. gets her thyroxine tablets prescribed for 4 months-but this is France!  The doctors visit for the prescription and also the blood tests do have to be paid for-even though we get the percentage reimbursment.    Maude

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

Glucosamine is usually regarded here as a supplement or even as a complimentary therapy, like homoeopathy and isn't covered usually by the 100% and even some top-up insurances don't cover it even if you get it on prescription tho generalists do prescribe it.

I take it and buy it from a company in the Channel Islands (cheapest prices usually) or wait until I'm back in the UK and buy it from Holland and Barrets when they have their sales on, best value around. 

[/quote]

I used to by both Glucosamine/Chrondroitin and MSM from the same suppliers when I was in the UK to treat an arthritic knee [to young for a replacement!]

Following a visit to an orthopaedic man in France, I now am prescribed 'Chrondrosulf' - 3/day which I have been taking for three months and I'm experiencing much, much less pain than over the previous 5 years. Good old French healthcare! My complementaire covers the cost.

Peter