Top up insurance

hester

I know that there is at least one other poster on this forum who has an E106 that runs out in January as we do. 

I have started to read the small print of our mutuelle top-up and it is going to be difficult to make a decision whether to go ahead with the annual renewal in January.  My concern is that not only may we have to find funds for private health care but we might also have to continue to pay our top up as there seems to be a clause that states that we must give at least one month's notice and even possibly pay the full year's premium.

I think that this is also something that we must be looking into. Hester.

The indications from the French Health Ministry are that if you are currently resident in France and registered for healthcare (either through an E106 or on a contributory basis) then you will continue to enjoy the same entitlement.  The position will be made clear well before your E106 expires.

In the unlikely event that the government decides not to support exisiting residents, then your mutuelle cancellation will be allowed on a 'force majeur' basis.

Many thanks Sunday Driver, we will let the mutuelle run and see what happens in January.  Just wish that we'd gone for a top-up that offers full private cover also, just in case as we will have lost the two and a half years "loyalty". Hester.

Depending upon what happens, and on how many are affected, it may well be that some French mutuelles may offer a full service.  Certainly AGF were prepared to talk to me (I have not taken this any further until the outcome becomes clear) and others may be also. I also got an indication from Credit Agricole Britline, that their insurers (Pacifica) will be looking into providing full cover policies.

Before we send off our deposit for new french house we need to be sure that we can get private medical cover to cover an existing medical condition of type 2 diabeties and regular prescriptions drugs.  We had intended to go with essential health limited but their 'Gateway' plan will not cover it - has anyone any suggestions for me please?

Many thanks.

There are moves afoot to design policies for those like you : see this thread

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1017162/ShowPost.aspx

the copy of the e-mail which I received from Kurt Fuller is the pertinent one.  I have heard nothing further re this except that negotiations are in hand between various insurers, brokers and agents, and progress is being made.  Sadly, we may not have firm enough news for you in time but I will keep you posted.  If you are likely to be interested, please e-mail Kurt, because the more people who are interested in these schemes, the better they are going to be.  You can pm me if you wish, as for commercial reasons vis a vis Archant and this site, I cannot really discuss this too much on open forum, as I am sure you understand.

HOWEVER, PLEASE NOTE, I HAVE NO FINANCIAL INTEREST IN THIS WHATSOEVER.

Thanks for that.  I have emailed Kurt and he tells me they intend to set up a scheme to cover pre existing conditions within next few months.  In the meantime we will have to go with Insurance and pay for our monthly medication.  Recently bought a replacement insulin pen in France, really easy to get through the parmacy although it did cost us 80 euros.  If anyone out there has an idea of medication costs it would be a great help.

Hi, any information would be useful.  Other regular medications like dispersable asprin can be bought over the counter in UK -and I would have thought they would be readily available in France, the same for Statins although insulin is only available on prescription, as is Metformin.

Thanks in advance for any info - I'm sure it will help others too.

p.s. we are determined to go ahead with our move (within next few weeks) and although this health stuff is an inconvenience it is nothing that can't be resolved with a little leg work! Hope others feel the same way - life has to be better in France!!

[quote user="writersblock"]

Hi, any information would be useful.  Other regular medications like dispersable asprin can be bought over the counter in UK -and I would have thought they would be readily available in France, the same for Statins although insulin is only available on prescription, as is Metformin.

[/quote]

Novorapid pens x5 €43.27, Lantus pens x 5 €67.49. needles  x100 € 15.63 Simvastin x28 €27.25(ordnance only)  I can't find the price on my  BS testing strips but from memory 50 are about €22, ketosix about €16. Lancets about €15 a box.

I don't know about metformin but from things mentioned on a diabetes forum I use its very cheap in the US as its generic so probably the same here. I would imagine that some of the older types of insulin are cheaper.