Shampoo???

Jonzjob

OK, some months back I mentioned that I have not washed my hair with shampoo, soap or anything else but water for the last 17 1/2 years... A few of the forumers (?) read what I had said and agreed to give the 'No Poo' regieme a go.

Question???   Are there any of the people who said they would try still 'Poo' free?

The glories of shampoo are that they contain a cocktail of wonderous chemicals that you would not touch with a very long pole if you knew what they were. My basic reason for using just water is that your hair contains wonderful natural oils and the use of shampoo strips these out of your hair and scalp. After s/pooing the scalp then works overtime to replace them, so you s/poo it again. If you don't do that your scalp gets greasy/oily. Cause it does, it is desperately trying to replace what you have washed out of it and keep it in good condition! So you pile on the s/poo again and you are back to square one...

If you were to bin the s/poo and just use warm water then for the first 3 or 4 weeks your scalp would carry on producing bucket loads of oils to keep up with the oil stripping routine. THEN it would realise that it doesn't need to do this any more and produce the amount that nature deemed that it should. For those 3 or 4 weeks it isn't a very pleasent time, head itches and hair looks greasy, BUT the pay back is that if you can suffer the time your scalp/hair is getting back on it's healthy feet again then your hair will have more body than any conditioner (chemical mix) will ever be able to give it and it will look a million €, plus it costs nowt!

Another question? Why use conditioner? To 'try' to put back, by chemical means, the natural oils that the s/poos have stripped out of your hair and scalp. The s/poo companies win both ways don't they???

Ok if you are in a job where you are dipping your head in oil, metaphorically speaking, every day then you may have to use soap, but if not then why not give it a crack. Even if you are in a dirty job you can cover your hair. I do a lot of wood turning, there is a lot of dust. I just put a cap on my head to keep the dust off, I also wear a dust mask if it is needed... Some say that I look better with it on [8-)], but I don't know what they mean?

Free the world of sham   poo that's wot I rekon.

Edit  :   http://www.newstarget.com/003210.html

http://www.chemicalsafeskincare.co.uk/ part way down for the s/poo.

There are lots more too.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

OK, some months back I mentioned that I have not washed my hair with shampoo, soap or anything else but water for the last 17 1/2 years... A few of the forumers (?) read what I had said and agreed to give the 'No Poo' regieme a go.

Question???   Are there any of the people who said they would try still 'Poo' free?[/quote]

Yes, here I am! [:D] How long is it now? It must have been just after we met at Twinks Gig?

I'd forgotten all about it. It's just a normal part of my life now.

It never fattened up, as I think you promised me it would, but then my hair never went through the 'bad phase' you described either.

This got quite a bit of publicity a few months back, and various magazines and daytime TV progs were getting people to do it and report back.

I accept that it could all have been a set-up, but the results weren't unanimously in favour of binning the shampoo.    Some women just ended up feeling miserable with permanently lank hair.

I know you're right about shampoo, it is a chemical cocktail, but I actually like the feel of newly washed and dried hair.   And yes, I blow-dry it too, AND put colour on it!    

The alternative is just too depressing.   Much more depressing than shampoo!  [:)] 

Hi RG, did they say how long they tried it before giving up?

My OH had to wait longer than me, but I think that is because she has long hair. It took her a lot of patience and over 4 weeks, but then it just came right. Mine was about 3 weeks. Not very nice at the time, but miles better now. With s/poo my hair used to take about 15 minutes to dry after just towling it dryish. Now it takes at least double that because the oil is still there and there is a lot more boddies, sorry body (no I don't use beer either!![B]) in it...

I wouldn't wash it in the Canal du Midi either otherwise everyone would call me ship head [6][;-)]!!! Well something like that anyway?

Somehow missed this, but yes John, I'm still poo free! That's since the beginning of November & all is fine. I did have a few bad hair days for the first few weeks, I even posted a photo on a particularly bad day!!![blink]

RH, I doubt if there would be much point if you regularly dye your hair, all those chemicals. Maybe henna would be OK. I don't actually dye my hair, cos I have natural highlights!!![;-)]

I know people who use henna, and I don't particularly like that look.  Whichever colour they use, it does have a tendency to go quite orangey.

And what about swimming in chlorine pools?   That's probably worse for your hair than shampoo.

I just don't think I'd last very long at this!  [:)]

I did it for about a month i think. I can't remember why i went back to the poo..........there was a reason i think?! Jayjay can you remember??? Could have been to dye it???  Yes it was getting to be OK near the end (essential oil and nettle rinses helped while it was very greasy...so did flour at one point!) And had loads of body, no product required. Maybe I'll have another go.........Although himself wasn't too impressed.........[Www]

I have used brown henna, it's not at all orangey!  And you do have to use it on shampooed hair, the oils stop it taking i believe.

Why can't you let it go natural Meg? A serious question (I know, not the norm for me?).

One of our very old friends in the U.K. used to dye (die) her hair black for ages. It looked awful with the roots showing within a few days. I dearly wanted to ask her why, but chickened out for years. Then, I don't know why, she let the dye  grow out and she now has a lovely head of silver grey hair that makes her look as she should. She looks years younger and years softer than she ever did when it was 'died' (not a spelling mastike). She has not looked back. Don't know about the s/poo, but at least it isnb't being STRANGLED to death by the dye. It really did look so harsh!

When she was using the die I never said a word about her hair, but when she stopped I told her how lovely it looked and how much better it suited her.

Nature knows far better how we look best, not some money grabbing chemical company!!

I have a full head and beard of grey hair. The grey on my head started when I was 21. That was the way that it was intended to be and to my recolection I have never tried to fight it, or wanted to... Why try?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Nature knows far better how we look best, not some money grabbing chemical company!! [/quote]

Well John, sometimes nature bestows people with a box shaped head and hair that grows like soggy rats tails. [;-)]

I think I got to 25 before I realised the solution to nearly all my hair problems was to cut it all off.[:D] 

Some women don't want or suit short hair though, and for some going grey at a young age is a big problem. Grey hair on men is generally regarded as being OK, and even cool/distinguished, but it's different for women - you must know that.  I know it and I haven't even got any grey yet.

I would never question any person about dying their hair...even if it was a bad job.

Try not to go all evangelistical on us.

Shampoo free just doesn't work out for some people, but at least people reading this thread who had never considered doing it (or even realised it is an option) may give it a try, now.

No Jonz, i just like to dye my hair!! Bit of a hobby, it's not that i have a problem with my really uninteresting mousy natural hair colour.............just like changing the colour/ length etc. Yes i agree about the money grabbers but i do it cause i want to, not because i am in anyway influenced by advertising, trends or fashion  ..........although sometimes it may help if i was............[Www]

[quote user="Meg and Mog and dog"]No Jonz, i just like to dye my hair!! Bit of a hobby, it's not that i have a problem with my really uninteresting mousy natural hair colour.............just like changing the colour/ length etc. Yes i agree about the money grabbers but i do it cause i want to, not because i am in anyway influence by advertising, trends or fashion  ..........although sometimes it may help if i was............[Www] [/quote]

I used to be the same, Meg - it was more of a hobby than anything else. I had dyed my hair since I was 16 - & only stopped about 2 years ago, when it started falling out in clumps & breaking every time I put a brush near it. 

Now it's starting to get back into some sort of decent condition - but it doesn't help when you hubby points out how grey you're getting!! [:@]  MEN!!

I think I started with 'Hint of a Tint - Copper' when I was 14..........when I was first married and a new mum there was a period of being au naturel  but when I got to 38 I started with low lights, then high lights and now blended  high lights AND a base colour - woe is me [:(] but I simply do not want to be salt and pepper.

I think it was Dame Margot Fontaine who said that it was only good manners to always look ones best ! We can but try [:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I think it was Dame Margot Fontaine who said that it was only good manners to always look ones best ! We can but try [:)]

[/quote]

I guess it's like shaving your legs.  Deep inside, I'm sure we all know it doesn't really make sense, but most of us still do it.   Why?   Why not!  

I think too that in the hierarchy of unpleasant things, shampoo is pretty low down.   I'd banish chocolate before shampoo.  

I am intrigued by this no shampoo business...

I have now read these and will give it a try.

matthew parris

andrew marr

I stopped dying my hair a few years ago, and although still a few years short of 50, I'm sporting a full grey mane... Actually, I had my first grey hair at the age of 11!

I have been wondering about the smell, but I will try the no-shampoo shower regime and will report back... [:D]

No smell Clair honest, but there are a few weeks of it feeling a bit uncomfortable and itchy. That is natural and your scalp trying to catch up with going natural again.. Stick it out and you will, almost certainly, not regret it. You notice that I said almost certainly, that is because it does not suit everyone, but if you have the same sort of 'grey mane' as mine then it will look lovely.

Just rince it every couple of days, or every day if you wish, and it will turn out lovely, you have my peut etra? [:D]

Thank you for posting those sites. They are a relevation and to think that our polititions and TV personalities are talking about it, well!! Very interesting. Perhapse there is a political party lurking in there, the STP Party? (Stop The Poo?)[I][B]

Spread the word Clair!!!

No shampoo has sullied my hair since last Sunday... I would normally wash it twice a week.

I ran a lot of water over it in the shower this morning and it has dried to loose glossy grey curls instead of its usual frizz (remember Michael Jackson's pictures in the 70's? that's my hair on a very bad hair day!)     No itch and no smell ... so far![:)]

Questions for no-shampoo addicts:

What happens when you go the hairdresser's?

Don't they automatically wash your hair?

Do you (can you?) just say :"no shampoo for me"?

I'll need a hair cut soon and I want to be prepared!

Well done Clair! [:)] Mine went through a real bad patch & I really had to resist temptation, but now no problems. As far as hairdressing goes, not too sure as I have my own personnal hairdresser.[:D] Maybe if you ask, they'd do a 'dry cut'. Say dry, but they tend to spray your hair with water to make it easier to cut. It's how I always had mine done in salons before, as I couldn't lean back over the basin.

I can vouch for the loveliness of JayJay's hair. I'm not, however, remotely tempted to try ditching shampoo. I don't dye my hair, I leave that to the elements (I like going blonder in summer, and the grey bits just look like highlights anyway). However, like the little girl in the Peanuts cartoon, "I have naturally curly hair" and I am NOT happy about it, and will NOT stop blow-drying, straightening and generally thwarting nature in every way possible. So, if I'm going to mistreat my hair after I've washed it, I may as well start before. I hate hairdressers (I'd rather go to the dentist) and think it stems from those childhood days of "Oh, you don't know how lucky you are to have curly hair, I pay a fortune to have a perm". Days when, as I recall only too vividly, I came home from the hairdresser on at least one occasion with my brolly up even though it wasn't raining, just to hide my haircut from view. The thought of "persevering" with dodgy hair for 4 hours, let alone 4 days, is anathema to me. Sorry Jonz..........[:$]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]"Oh, you don't know how lucky you are to have curly hair, I pay a fortune to have a perm".[/quote]

Whenever I go to have my hair cut, I'm asked if the curls are natural and I get that comment every time!!

I used to use the Body Shop anti-frizz but since I could not find it in France, I just had to let them have their way (the curls!)