High Blood Pressure

TLE

Hi

Can anyone tell me what sort of costs we would be looking at

for high blood pressure medication? We are relocating to dept 87 next spring

and my Husband has been told he needs to go onto daily medication for high

blood pressure (haven’t got it yet so don’t know which drugs). We hadn’t

figured this type of medication cost or how this may affect our health insurance

premiums into our budget….

Thanks

That's not a question that can be answered until you actually have a prescription. There are many different types of drug used to treat hypertension, which vary in cost from a couple of euros per month for a simple beta blocker up to 50€ or more for some other medications (e.g. ACE inhibitor). Because of the various side effects, doctors often prefer to prescribe a small dose of each of three or four different drugs (e.g. beta blocker, ACE inhibitor (and related drugs), diuretic, calcium channel blocker, vasoldilators). French doctors are particularly well known for never prescribing one medication when several are available. Costs can be reduced by using generics, rather than brand names, but not all drugs have a low-cost equivalent. From my own experience of taking such medication in France, you could be talking of around 60-70€ per month, maybe more, possibly less.

But your health, and avoiding strokes, is not an area for penny-pinching. 

Edit - Clair posted while I was looking up my records. It seems we are talking about similar figures, which I suppose is encouraging. My costs were likewise covered through paying into the French system as a worker in France.

If you are in the health system,with perhaps E121, and your Mutuelle, I can't follow that you are paying so much for medication?  I seem to get the majority of any costs,Doctor/Hospital/Pills etc reimbursed. Even after 5 years here I do admit that the system,with it's many versions, remains a total mystery. Perhaps I have just been lucky?

Regards.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Same for me as I have an E121, it was the price on the box that I quoted.[/quote]

can you clarify a point for me? I have only just qualified for my E121. Do you not pay for your medication? I have previously been reimbursed by CPAM and the remainder by our mutelle. What will happen from now on?

[quote user="daisymay"]

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Same for me as I have an E121, it was the price on the box that I quoted.[/quote]

can you clarify a point for me? I have only just qualified for my E121. Do you not pay for your medication? I have previously been reimbursed by CPAM and the remainder by our mutelle. What will happen from now on?

[/quote]

Under the E121 you'll have the same reimbursements by your CPAM/mutuelle as you did before.  The only difference is you'll be exempt from paying your contributions.

Tony's a bit more septic than the rest of us, so his CPAM covers everything.....[;-)]