what would we have to pay?

Rivington

I know this is an old question, but I need clarification if possible. My OH and I will move permanently to France in Apr/May 2009 when we will both be 60. As things stand now, I will then be entitled to an E121 and OH will be able to benefit from it too. What I'm not too clear about is what exactly we will then have to pay in terms of top up insurance or anything else come to that. Are there any concessions for people entitled to a state pension or who have chronic conditions? my husband is type 2 diabetic.

I know this sounds as though I haven't done any research, but I actually have! it's just the more I read, the more confused I get!  [8-)]

Carole

Hi,

If you have an E121 and regsiter it with the French Authorities, CPAM, you will be entitled to the normal state reimbursements for Healthcare eg approx 70% of hospital costs, 70% for dental check ups and 60-70% for prescriptions. However, you are responsible for the remaining 30% or so, which for hospital treatment can be high The state doesn't give anything towards the cost of a hospital room. To cover all these costs, you take out a top up policy a Complementaireof which there are many options. Price depends on your age and level of cover you choose.

Re Diabetes; your doctor can apply to have treatment for specific diseases covered as an affection de longue duree. In effect, thsi means that teh state covers all your costs- except the daily charge levied by hospitals for food etc called forfait hospitalier- again your top up would cover this. The one advantage about longue duree cover is that you can claim fuel costs when you go to appointments etc.

You will not pay any cotisations to CPAM as with an E121 you are paid for by the UK government.

You will pay taxes called CRDS,CSG and Prel social on unearned foreign income eg interest.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

thanks so much rothrugby it all seems a lot clearer now![:D]

I think the problem has been that there are so many different situations that people find themselves in, that it's really difficult sorting the wood from the trees!

I think our situation is relatively simple - (at the moment) we await with interest any further developments on the healthcare front ! We only envisage a problem if spouses are stopped from sharing an E121 when only one of you is of state pension age - my husband will then have to get an E106 for two years and then take out private insurance for the remaining 3 yrs until he is 65. This would not be a major catastrophe and much more preferable to his working in  a very stressful job till he reaches 65! [:'(]

Carole

[quote user="rothrugby"]

. The one advantage about longue duree cover is that you can claim fuel costs when you go to appointments etc.

[/quote]

I didn't know that, but if I retain my health care after all this I'd feel guilty about claiming!

[quote user="Helen"][quote user="rothrugby"]

. The one advantage about longue duree cover is that you can claim fuel costs when you go to appointments etc.

[/quote]

I didn't know that, but if I retain my health care after all this I'd feel guilty about claiming!

[/quote]

New one on me too.  Can you provide any more details, Rothrugby?