Charges with long term rental

Jaylo

Hi all, I rented an apartment from last Jan to last Sept. After I had left I had a bill for the bins at the old place which I was expecting but now I have been sent a bill for 220e for the Tax d  Habitation This or the bins is not mentioned in the contract. Also it was one house that had been converted into two tiny appartments and it seems a lot to have to pay I would be grate ful for any advice

Jaylo

[quote user="Jaylo"]

Hi all, I rented an apartment from last Jan to last Sept. After I had left I had a bill for the bins at the old place which I was expecting but now I have been sent a bill for 220e for the Tax d  Habitation This or the bins is not mentioned in the contract. Also it was one house that had been converted into two tiny appartments and it seems a lot to have to pay I would be grate ful for any advice  [/quote]

You don't say where you were living when you rented - which could make a lot of difference - but my OH and I rent a 3 bedroomed house in the Morbihan and our taxe d'hab was 599 euros for last year; so 220 seems reasonable to me for approximately 1/2 a house. And neither the taxe d'hab nor the taxe d'ordures ménagères is mentioned in our contract.

Sue 

Hi spg, from what I have been reading since my post I think it is right. I am in Narbonne area. It was a bit unexpected, but Im learning as I go along here so thats another lesson learned and Ill make sure I budget it for it this year

thanks for the reply

Jaylo

[quote user="Panda"]

Hi

In my part of the Vienne the dustbin charge is separate to the tax fonciere and goes to the tenant not the owner.

Panda

[/quote]

"Cette taxe porte sur toutes les propriétés assujetties à la taxe

foncière sur les propriétés bâties ou temporairement exemptées de

celle-ci.

Si le bien soumis à la taxe est loué, le propriétaire peut en récupérer le montant dans les charges locatives."

So the owner can get it back from a tenant as part of the charges, but it is charged to the owner as part of the taxe foncière, not the taxe d'habitation.

Normally it is the owner who pays the foncière.

Direction générale des Impôts – Instruction fiscale 6 F-2-06 n° 128 du

31 Juillet 2006 – taxe d’enlèvement des ordures ménagères – Mesures

diverses

When i left the property I left in Sept but continued to pay the rent until Oct to cover the three months notice i had to give which i gave in july. When i went in Oct to collect the bond that i gave initially they had deducted over 100e which they say was to cover the cost of the bins

[quote user="Jaylo"]When i left the property I left in Sept but continued to pay the rent until Oct to cover the three months notice i had to give which i gave in july. When i went in Oct to collect the bond that i gave initially they had deducted over 100e which they say was to cover the cost of the bins[/quote]

Over 100 euros sounds a tad on the high side to me but is possibly about rightish, it depends on how high Narbonne charges are for rubbish collection. Our charge for the whole year was 138e.

Sue

[quote user="groslard"][quote user="Panda"]

Hi

In my part of the Vienne the dustbin charge is separate to the tax fonciere and goes to the tenant not the owner.

Panda

[/quote]

"Cette taxe porte sur toutes les propriétés assujetties à la taxe foncière sur les propriétés bâties ou temporairement exemptées de celle-ci.
Si le bien soumis à la taxe est loué, le propriétaire peut en récupérer le montant dans les charges locatives."

So the owner can get it back from a tenant as part of the charges, but it is charged to the owner as part of the taxe foncière, not the taxe d'habitation.
Normally it is the owner who pays the foncière.

Direction générale des Impôts – Instruction fiscale 6 F-2-06 n° 128 du 31 Juillet 2006 – taxe d’enlèvement des ordures ménagères – Mesures diverses
[/quote]

Seems I must repeat, in some areas the service of rubbish collection is billed directly by the company collecting to the household, in my case I have 4 appartments and all 4 go to the tenants directly.  I do not reclaim these charges, they are billed to the tenant.  I pay the tax fonciere (obviously) but the two were separated back in 2005.

They may be billed separately, even directly to the tenant, but the responsibility for paying them is the owner's.

So if your tenants don't pay it comes back to you, because even if they were separated from the taxe foncière, they form part of it, not part of the taxe d'habitation.

Jeez...., listen carefully, in my town the charges are not linked to either the fonciere or the habitation tax, why is that so hard to understand? 

There is a company totally independant that collects the rubbish and who ever uses the service pays, when my flats are empty no one pays because no one uses the service, when they are occupied the tenant pays.