Cholesterol Level Test

Deimos

Another thread made me think - I have never had a Cholesterol test in my life and have absolutely no ide what sort of level I might be at.  I'm sure I remember several years ago in the UK one of the chemists advertised doing these tests - go in, have it done and get the results there and then.

Where does one get them done in France ?  Don't really want to bother my doctor and have not got anything else I need to see him for (until next year anyway).  Also, I've no reason to assume I have any problem but with some things you only get to know its a problem when you are being taken to hospital - hence thinking maybe a check might be a plan

Ian

Hi. Although the walk-in tests give you a quick result you really need a test done at the Laboratoires after fasting from 9.00pm the previous night.

Can I recommend the Full Blood Test - Hematologie / Biochimie du Sang that your Doctor can refer you for, it includes

Hemogramme

Plaquettes

Vitesse de Sedimentation

Aspect du Serum

Immunologie

Prostate Cancer

This gives accurate results for just about everything including good and bad cholesterol.

According to our family doctor in the UK this is the far better than he's ever seen. He was well impressed !

Joshua[:)]

Make an appointment to see your doctor, and tell him you'd like a blood test (bilan de sang) .  He will then take a blood pressure reading, and write a prescription for a nurse to come and visit you to take some blood.  This will then be tested for cholesterol, blood sugar, salt levels, and all manner of other things.  You will then get a report of all the results of  the tests.

It's a good MOT for your general health level, and not expensive.

http://besttreatments.bmj.com/btuk/conditions/29580.html

This explains a bit about the test - if you need one - why etc.  I agree with the above replies  - if you are going to have a blood test for the cholesterol I expect your doctor will more than likely want to check a few other measurements at the same time.

A couple of people mentioned prostate screening it depends on your age - for the PSA ( prostate specific antigen) I believe in France it is routinely carried out from the  age 50.

However there is so much controversy surrounding this test nowadays and a wealth of literature !! might well need another thread!

I had never been to the doctor hardly since living here, but I recently went to ours and asked for a "prise de sang pour un bilan complet".  This was done by a nurse, early in the morning, without having swallowed anything before (à jeun), and the doctor had the results that evening.

I had a couple of things I wouldn't have otherwise known about including cholesterol, the bad one!  So it's a good idea to get a check up.

Not so very long ago, both OH and I had been asked to have routine blood tests by our GP.

For some reason (can't remember why) we decided just to get OH's done, so arrived at the lab and I handed over the prescription.  Hysterics behind the counter: it was my prescription, which specified a prostate check!!

Oh, and whilst on the subject, I always love it when I hear people refer to it as "prostrate ............"

Many thanks and interesting.  I think I will wait until Jan or Feb (after my E106 has run out and I've already into Private Insurance).  I need a medical then anyway (a complete non-event and normally the doc does not even take my blood pressure, just walking in un-assisted is a pass) - ask him to do everything else at the same time.

Ian

Ian - why not take advantage of your E106 and do it NOW? It really is easy, routine, quick and painless - French doctors are always very keen to do "un bilan" which always involves a cholesterol test - in a fasting state so that you get an accurate reading of your total cholesterol, and itemised so you know your level of HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (bad) and Triglycerides (also bad). My doctor seemed surprised that it is not something which is done routinely in the UK. Just like the prostate test.

And for women, mammographies, and cervical smears. And for both men and women now, a test to detect blood in faeces, i.e. possible early signs of colon cancer. All routine.

[quote user="5-element"]

Ian -  French doctors are always very keen to do "un bilan" which always involves a cholesterol test - in a fasting state so that you get an accurate reading of your total cholesterol, and itemised so you know your level of HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (bad) and Triglycerides (also bad). My doctor seemed surprised that it is not something which is done routinely in the UK. Just like the prostate test.

[/quote]

Ian, these tests are routinely done in the UK if you are of a certain age or have other ailments. I have them done every 12months for the last 10years at surgeries both in London and Essex.

Baz

[quote user="5-element"]

Ian - why not take advantage of your E106 and do it NOW? It really is easy

[/quote]

Main reason is that, with only just over a month left until Private Health cover, if they should find anything then I would have to declare it as a pre-existing condition and it would not be covered by the Private Insurance.  I've not yet sorted out insurance for early Jan but worst case they find e.g. something hight on PGA and need further tests then probably by the time the tests can be carried out I will no longer be covered by CPAM and because the need for the tests was identified before the insurance started it wont be covered by that so it would be a case of keep my fingers crossed and do nothing or pay for all related treatment myself.

Tests might cost a little but finding something now could be bankrupting.

Ian

Ian

That is quite understandable but one of the crazy things about this whole health care nightmare is that there will be people who will put off visiting their doctor with certain signs and symptoms for this very reason. Even in the UK where this isn't a concern, some  people still wait for far too long, hoping that "the cough will go away" the lump will go " "I'll be fine in a week or two" etc etc.In a perverse way what is happening here now  almost ligitimizes their waiting!

You say "tests cost little but finding something could be bankrupting"  but finding something could be life saving too!! 

Rocks and hard places spring to mind.

I had been thinking exactly the same thing Nickel, that people might put off tests until after they had found private health insurance. It really is a terrible situation if it affects not only those already diagnosed with illnesses, but also those who really should already be diagnosed, but are putting off possible diagnosis until next year.

I also disagree with the French "inactif" changes and agree that delaying tests is not great.  However, in my case I am fit, healthy, have no reason to have them done other than "strikes me as a good idea" (i.e. no suspicions, blood pressure in lower half of the good range, no indications about anything), plus its only a few weeks delay.

However, as you say, to delay visiting your doctor when you have reasons for suspecting problems is definitely bad.  But, being realistic, whatever it is you might have will probably be excluded from your Private Insurance anyway (most things are excluded unless they are really cheap to threat).  Thus, if you suspect problems I'd visit straight away.

Ian

Hope nobody saw the latest Michael Moore film 'Sicko'.

The latest whizzo idea from the US medical insurance establishment is to disqualify people who present with recently diagnosed conditions, shortly after the insurance is taken out.  The view there now, apparently US wide, is that as the condition existed prior to taking out the insurance but was merely undiagnosed, so they will not pay out on the claim as it was, technically, a pre-existing condition.

Hopefully this extremely sharp practice will not permeate into France but as many insurance companies are global in operation, people need to be careful which company they sign up with and this sort of thing requires careful checking before parting with the premiums.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this thread.

It got me to go and get a blood test and my cholesterol level is higher than it should be. I had no idea and honestly thought that my food intake was pretty healthy. (apart from the bacon sandwiches which I love.............alas no more)[:(]

As said previously there are no symtoms. My BP is 130 over 70 which I'm told is excellent.

You also feel good when you're prostate (psa) levels are within the normal range.

I am now on a new regime and a pill a day. Fortunately, I do like porridge............[:D]

So, thanks to all on this subject.

Gary.

One of the interesting things which came up whilst investigating the insurance industry for the site, is that many policies we looked at did not provide cover for anything but accident treatments for the first three months.  Another great ruse for avoiding paying up for things which might continue long term.

[quote user="woolybanana"]A friend went to one French doctor for his med tests etc and another, new, doctor when it came to filling out the application forms for Health Insurance. This is of course not hyper-legal[6] but I am sure it has been done before. I would not recommend it of course.[/quote]

I understand that French doctors rules on medical confidentiality are very strict. A friend whose husband died could not get his doctor to certify the cause of death to an insurance company as it would breech the rules, the most the doctor would write was that it was from natural causes.

Since most medical insurance in France up to now has been for top ups, where preexistant illnesses aren't taken into account,  the problem probably hasn't arisen.????

[quote user="Bugbear"]

It got me to go and get a blood test and my cholesterol level is higher than it should be. I had no idea and honestly thought that my food intake was pretty healthy. (apart from the bacon sandwiches which I love.............alas no more)[:(]

[/quote]

hehe, welcome to the club bugbear! Might I suggest buying a second bike, but one with pedals? Great for burning off that excess cholesterol. [;-)]

[quote user="Helen"]

Since most medical insurance in France up to now has been for top ups, where preexistant illnesses aren't taken into account,  the problem probably hasn't arisen.????

[/quote]

It has for Life Insurance,  and Doctors are under a certain pressure.

My advice to everyone is go get a cholesterol test, it is THE SILENT KILLER! Some people have high cholesterol via their diet but with others if they never ate or drank they would still create too much cholesterol and it does KILL! My husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol in the UK before we moved to France but the doctor just shrugged and said it was his life style and diet and never gave him any medication. Two years after being here he had a heart attack and the French doctors found his cholesterol levels were through the roof and it is only medication which keeps it down, it is not his diet but just a genetic thing and once he told his brother etc they all found they had high cholesterol too. Thank god we were in France when it happened but anyway we cannot emphasise enough the blood test, it is well worth it. I can eat cheese, chocolate, drink wine etc and my level is fine but my husband cannot not. Tryglycerides is the other baddie which needs checking too.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/triglycerides/glance.html