How to get Veicle insurance if you are a Foreigner

Mander

Hi all..

My husband and I will be house sitting just near Chatellerault next March to November. We are planning on buying a Car in Paris (just a little diesel) and we can't find any information on how to obtain insurance while we are there.

Anyone know if they will give insurance to a couple of canadians temporarily letting there? And if so...how?

If you intend buying a car, then you will first need to register it in your name, and for this, you'll need to provide proof of a French address. 

There are specific provisions for people who are 'living with friends' - you need to provide a letter from the homeowner certifying 'on honour' that you are living in their house and you need to provide official proof that you live there, eg, tax advice, social security card, family allowance, ANPE registration, etc.

I suspect that in your case, the latter requirement will be difficult to meet.

To insure the car, you need to produce the registration document (carte grise)...

Just to add that you can transfer NCB from other countries.

You need a certificate from your foreign insurer stating NCB in years (not %). AS French NCB can go over 10 yrs before reaching the maximum, you need as many years as possible.

Peter