Health care whilst outside of the EU

westland

I urgently need to visit my daughter in Australia and will be booking my flights via the internet.  I would be grateful if anyone who has made a similar journey whilst living in France could inform me if they took out any health insurance, or have had any experience of needing treatment whilst outside of the EU.  I have searched the websites of some of the main "top up" insurance companies but there doesn't seem to be any mention of such policies. Thanks.

Don't know whether Australia and USA are treated the same way, but when we went on holiday last year to USA, we were told were were covered medically by our Credit Agricole-CB card, because we had paid for the flights using this card. I would be interested if anyone knew different as we are thinking of going back soon... Sorry - I am not trying to pinch this thread, but I think I was told by Credit Agricole we were covered world wide medically with the CB card, so surely Down Under would also come under this banner

[quote user="Nell"]Don't know whether Australia and USA are treated the same way, but when we went on holiday last year to USA, we were told were were covered medically by our Credit Agricole-CB card, because we had paid for the flights using this card. I would be interested if anyone knew different as we are thinking of going back soon... Sorry - I am not trying to pinch this thread, but I think I was told by Credit Agricole we were covered world wide medically with the CB card, so surely Down Under would also come under this banner[/quote]

CA does offer some form of cover with their MasterCard and Gold MasterCard.

You must read the small print to find out what cover is given in terms of hospital cost and repatriation costs.

Hi there.  We're off to New Zealand in a couple of months to visit our daughter.  She actually works in the medical and travel claims industry in NZ.  When I originally spoke to her re reciprocal agreements she said we would need to take out travel insurance.  We got a very reasonable quote (which we accepted) from this company www.globelink.uk.com

I do feel that though banks do give some travel protection as an inducement to taking out certain accounts/cards, how comprehensive this protection is remains uncertain to me.

[quote user="minnie"]

I do feel that though banks do give some travel protection as an inducement to taking out certain accounts/cards, how comprehensive this protection is remains uncertain to me.

[/quote]

I just feel I need to respond to this statement. At no time was this used as an inducement to taking CA as a bank. I did not even know we would be covered medically until I asked if they did travel insurance, at which stage the told me I was already covered. Maybe I walk round with rose tinted specs on, but I don't think that French Banks are the like the Sharks we are used to in the UK [:)]

I don't doubt what you say but I'm a "belt and braces" type of person and would rather be sure of full cover when I'm the other side of the world.  As my daughter lives in NZ we go there every other year. 

In any case I don't have the "gold" or whatever CB is required to benefit from that CA insurance.