Finally have an offer on my house

I accepted an offer on my house last Friday, but haven't received the Compromis de Vent yet. Agent says he will send it by email to me. I know there was a holiday and everything on Monday, but I'm surprised it's taking this long to get the paperwork to me. Is it usual to take this long? I've emailed the agent to find out.

When I received offers on my properties in Australia, the contracts were sent very quickly to secure the deal. Agent would even work into the evening to get the paperwork sorted.

With the way the market is at present, I'm amazed that this hasn't happened in this case too. Is it normal to wait this long?

I agreed to sell some land to someone on 6 March and I've had no joy with a compromis de vente yet, despite chasing up the notaire on 26 March and giving them a copy of the file that was created when I bought it - which was prepared by them too so they should already have it all!

Finally discovered the hold up. Seems the notaire was slowing things down by not providing the previous sales paperwork and reports for some reason. He's done so now, after I had scanned and emailed everything I had to him yesterday.

Still, at least they'll save me some money, as they are using the asbestos and lead reports that had been done 5 years ago, so all I need to fork out for is the new electrical report and sanitation. Bit nervous about the electrics, we only had downstairs re done, the upstairs hasn't been touched in god knows how long. But it always worked fine for us...

I don't know why the reports were holding up the Compromis, as when we bought the house it was set up subject to us being happy with the reports. Perhaps that has changed now.

So all being well, I should see a Compromis some time next week. Watch this space.

If the guy reckong he has got you over a barrel and can screw you for a few thousand extra euros off the price, then he will do so, Richard. After all, he may want the house for rental purposes and would wanna get the cheapest deal possible. Besides, you are Johnny Foreigner, living in the land of the Free these days who just wants to get the house off your back and perhaps the guy thinks you should actually pay him to take it off your hands. Well, just being extreme really, but the point is made?

If there are faults and they try to bring me down, at least I'll have an idea of how much it would cost. When we rewired the downstairs, it was only a couple of thousand euros, so the upstairs would be a similar amount. I'd probably give them a grand off in that case.

But we'll wait and see. I will take Idun's attitude to begin with and take it from there.

We agreed a price on ours about 3 weeks ago and have not yet signed the compromis. We had all the surveys etc done prior to putting it on the market so the time seems to have been taken up with getting all the documentation off the previous notaire, the purchaser perusing the survey reports and the notaire (new one) drawing up power of attorney as we wont be there to sign either deed, apppointing a fiscal rep etc., etc, etc, so in your case you can probably expect it to go on for a while longer, especially if your purchaser is not a cash buyer. And above all remember THIS IS FRANCE where the bureaucrats reign supreme!!

There is absolutely no reason why a straightforward French property sale cannot be completed in six to eight weeks maximum. Provided the agent or notaire has a copy of the title deeds and the diagnostics have been completed, a compromis de vente can be completed by either of them the same day, as can a power of attorney (procuration) - both are largely standard documents. The seven day cooling-off period is only extended if the buyer is seeking finance from a bank or mortgage provider, but the vendor would be aware of that.

I am currently selling/buying and my usual notaire and the agents have copies of all the documentation already and know of the situation, and the moment I have an acceptable offer they are ready to proceed. Also for my finalising the purchase of the new property, as one transaction is dependent on the other, and must proceed simultaneously. I did this a few years when moving into my present home and managed to do so with just a one week gap between the two transactions.

You can do a lot of work in advance by having all the documentation ready and copied to the relevant parties.

P-D de R.

My sale was concluded in around two weeks back in 2004, perhaps the diagnostics were done before it was released to the notaire by the liquidator.

I gave a deposit to the notaire, made out a power of attorney to a French friend and promptly dissapeared on my travels with my backpack, it may actually have been 3 weeks, all I can recall is that when I returned to South Africa from Mozambique and could get to a phone I learnt that I was a proprietaire.

And I wasnt even looking for a property at that time! My friend made me stop en route to somewhere so he could view it for someone else, I was due to leave for my ferry within the hour, when I heard the price and saw the potential and learnt that the couple werent interested as it was too much work I snapped it up, total planning, research and decision time, - less than a millisecond, talk about the puppy dog sales technique!!

The rest of the reports were completed Monday, which amazed me for them to get someone out with a days notice.

Thankfully, they used all the reports they could from when I purchased the properties in 2005, so the rest didn't cost me too much.

Anyway, the purchasers are apparently signing the compromis this afternoon, so I guess once I receive that, then it's an unconditional contract?

I'll have to organize power of attorney as well for the act de vente, I'd forgotten about that, I don't think me or the ex will make the trip to France from our respective countries just to sign it in person (me in the US, her in Australia)!

All parties need to sign the compromis and then copies of all paperwork need to be sent recorded delivery to the purchasers if you are not all signing together, and then the 7 day cooling off period starts. If there are no conditional clauses, then the sale must continue or the buyers forfeit their deposit. you could also chase them through the french courts to force them to buy, but I'm sure you wouldn't want that expense.

This is going to be a long 7 day cooling off period.

I'm pretty confident it will all be fine, after all, it's been 3 weeks already and they haven't changed their mind yet and that's before the compromis is signed.

So once it's signed, and the 7 day cooling off has been completed, then it takes 3 months to sell, or is that taking this part into the equation? I need the money by September.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]So once it's signed, and the 7 day cooling off has been completed, then it takes 3 months to sell, or is that taking this part into the equation? [/quote]

Our schedule : we all signed the compromis on 26 January, a Thursday, the 7 day cooling off period started the day after OH and I rec'd our copies of the compromis the following Monday. We all gathered to sign the Acte Authentique on Thursday 5 April.

Sue

Thanks Sue, that's a big help.

Sprogster, I am already feeling the noose loosen around my neck. It has been very stressful. If renting laws were more rational, I would probably have rented it out and waited to sell at a later date, but with it off my back at least allows me as you rightly say, to move forward.

By the way, did I mention we're getting married on 25th August? Nice simple wedding with close friends and family in the back yard.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]

So once it's signed, and the 7 day cooling off has been completed, then it takes 3 months to sell, or is that taking this part into the equation? I need the money by September.

[/quote]

There is no legislation that says it takes 3 months.

You should have a tentative date in your compromis, but that's what it is - not set in stone by any means. You don't say if your buyers need a loan, in which case things will take considerably longer, but if all is straight forward and your ex doesn't hang on to the paperwork for too long in Oz, then a September completion should be eminently achievable. Do let the notaire know asap that both you and your ex need power of attorney paperwork. This is sometimes not sent out until the acte is nearly ready to be signed and could hold things up as both of you are a long way away.

You posted while I was writing mine - congrats on the upcoming wedding.