Carte Vital

User no longer member.

Still waiting for our Carte Vital to arrive (since February) hence we have had to pay for doctor etc.  We filled in all of our feuille de soins-medecin and sent them off to be re-inbursed.  Have just noticed on our bank statement that we have a couple of small payments paid into our account about 10% of what we have paid out.

As we are new at this my questions are:  what should we expect to get back?  We have a top up insurance which should cover all extra's but haven't actually used it yet - will we get a form from the CPAM office that we have to take into Mutuelle De Potiers?

We have tried to chase up our Carte Vital but get the usual shrug of the shoulders and told that it will arrive sometime (I can live with that if I can get this sorted out!).

Nine months seems a long time to wait for the CV. Mine took about 4 months, but I expect that it varies from office to office, region to region, season to season and you have to factor out the August holidays! [Www].

L'Assurance Maladie puts payments straight into my account within five days of receipt of FdS.  Sometimes several small payments go through for the same treatment. It is very confusing until some weeks later, when I receive a letter with the details of what was paid against each treatment.  The (% of the) amount refunded depends on the treatment so it's impossible to say  whether 10% is correct. You can find out more about the % covered for different treatments & conditions, here on the Ameli website.

The first time I used top-up insurance, I needed to chase the providor. Something hadn't been set up quite correctly for automatic payments. Take in the Assurance Maladie statement when you receive it.  Now, I get refunds from both l'Assurance Maladie and top-up insurer within five days. Hope that helps a bit.

This is not in answer to your question but just a heads up on mutuelle... Are you sure that you are covered for 100% of all medical care (it's not impossible, just very expensive). For example, with my top-up, there is a maximum fee per consultant appointment, but some consultants charge in excess of this so I pay the difference if I choose to visit these doctors.  Similarly there is a max. for dental work.  This figure is easy to exceed if, for example, you have prosthetic work. Your provider probably gave you a table showing the maximum payments for each category.  You might have much more comprehensive insurance than I do, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

[quote user="writersblock"]Still waiting for our Carte Vital to arrive (since February) hence we have had to pay for doctor etc.

The possession of a carte vitale does not mean that you don't pay at the doctors, normally you have to pay  22€ for each visit which is reimbursed minus a couple of euros by CPAM 13 or 14€ and your mutuelle the rest.

We filled in all of our feuille de soins-medecin and sent them off to be re-imbursed.  Have just noticed on our bank statement that we have a couple of small payments paid into our account about 10% of what we have paid out.

I think you need to check what you are getting and paying for.  With an attestation ( a carte vitale is only an identifier and means of payment) you should be receiving typically 65% of payments back from CPAM unless you are receiving non reimbursable stuff of course, less deductions for the number of medicines that you have had, its like a bottle/box tax, if you have to pay for your medicines up front this will be deducted at source at the pharmacie

As we are new at this my questions are:  what should we expect to get back?  We have a top up insurance which should cover all extra's but haven't actually used it yet  -will we get a form from the CPAM office that we have to take into Mutuelle De Potiers?

Don't understand this statement.  When you set up a mutuelle you show them your attestation, you register your mutuelle with CPAM and they pass on your claims when the brown forms are processed, maybe you haven't done this yet, which is why you are getting nothing back? 

We have tried to chase up our Carte Vital but get the usual shrug of the shoulders and told that it will arrive sometime (I can live with that if I can get this sorted out!).

[/quote]

Could somebody explain how registering with CPAM works please. We took all our bits to our local office on Thursday, and the gentleman accepted them all without a problem, although we were not given a receipt, or any official documentation to say we had handed over our documents. Should we at that point have been handed an attestation, or will it be sent on at some point in the future? Once we receive the attestation, how do we then get a carte vitale after that?

Must admit I am a bit confused at the moment as to how things are supposed to work.

[quote user="Grecian"]

Could somebody explain how registering with CPAM works please. We took all our bits to our local office on Thursday, and the gentleman accepted them all without a problem, although we were not given a receipt, or any official documentation to say we had handed over our documents.

Should we at that point have been handed an attestation  No , or will it be sent on at some point in the future?  YES, once your documents have been checked. This is the important document, however, your cover starts on the day you submitted your documents.

Once we receive the attestation, how do we then get a carte vitale after that?

It would help to know what cover you are applying for, E form or CMU base.  However, a CV should follow but you might not get one, it depends on your cover if you are on an E106 you might not get one, some departments don't issue Carte Vitales to E106 holders, some do.  [/quote]

Thanks Les, we were handed two of the forms you mention when we visited the CPAM office the first time around.

What would happen if we register with a doctor, and then we find we do not like, or he or she is not very good, can we then move on and register with another doctor? Or are we stuck with the first one?

We have been waiting for our Carte Vitale's since October 2007...... We get the usual I will look into that for you upon asking where they are. We have a piece of paper saying that we are covered etc but it would be nice to have the cards. I did think I read somewhere that they have been having some problems doing the new ones with the photos on, But who knows...