FAQ: dealing with a death in France

Clair

The following relates to British nationals living in France (last updated 16 October 2014)

Be prepared

Dealing with a death in France

Sources of info

• 2 years later...

Added 15th Nov 2011

Following the sad death of a forum member I have copied their spouses comments on organising the funeral etc which may be of help to others. Some parts have not been posted as they are of a more personal nature.

We deposited the urn in the columbarium on Monday afternoon as it has to be done within days of cremation and as I mentioned previously; NO ashes may be kept on your property now via the law of 2008. Everything has moved very very fast, the inheritance stuff kicks in with a couple of days of death and the house was valued with other items of value and of course, we have to pay for this.The bank also got involved straight away and again more costs for legalities and everything is being changed into my name and I can still access money because we had OU not ET joint accounts - suggest if you have that, get it changed or everything will be frozen for a time.

I would say that the overall cost of the funeral and cremation and columbarium and associated fees will be around the €2000 mark (editors note - as of Nov 2011). We used the local artisan menuisier/Pompes Funèbres for a more family/intimate service and much cheaper than the flash outfit in the nearby town where we would have had to pay for several workers and body storage etc. You may keep a body in cold storage in the hospital for a maximum of 6 days only, it then has to be embalmed at a further cost of approx €300 and taken to a PF where you pay for storage until burial/cremation by the day.

The system here is so different to UK deaths and funerals, people should be aware of what they maybe getting into eventually and we even had to pay for the police to visit the hospital mortuary to put a wax seal on the coffin on the last day. Fifteen copies of the death certificate are supplied but do not give the cause, so if you repatriate to the UK, the paperwork will be horrendous and a UK autopsy will be required there.

Many thanks to Val for making this information available during obviously a very tragic time.