Cover by partner's E106

valleyboy

I am now resident in France with an E106 lasting till Jan 10.

My wife will join me next Jan, with her own E106 which will last till Jan 11.

Will I be covered by my wife's E106 from Jan 10 (when my own expires) until Jan 11?

DWP advice suggests this may be possible, if I ask the French authorities to be included on my wife's E106, but has anyone had experience which indicates that this "permission" is in fact given.              

Hi!

Basically you will be covered till January 2011,under the condition that you are not liable to a different system.

Qualité d'ayant droit 

La qualité d'ayant droit permet de bénéficier des

prestations de sécurité sociale non à titre personnel, mais du fait de

liens particuliers avec un assuré social, sous réserve de résider en

France de façon stable et régulière. 

En matière de couverture santé, la qualité d'ayant

droit ouvre droit au remboursement des soins maladie et maternité

(prestations en nature de l'assurance maladie - maternité). 

Cette qualité ne peut pas être reconnue à une personne qui peut relever d'un régime obligatoire, en qualité d'assuré. 

You need to proceed with the registration of your wife, and you as "ayant droit."

Yours,

giantpanda

[quote user="giantpanda"]Basically you will be covered till January 2011,under the condition that you are not liable to a different system.[/quote]Not necessarily.

An E106 normally runs for 2 years and between Dec and Jan. I have not seen it officially written anywhere but it is claimed that it can last for up to 2.5 years which suggests that if it is issued before the middle of the year then possibly it is backdated to the previous January or, if in the latter half, forward dated to the following year. Depending on precisely when the E106 was issued then you could be coming up to the end of the first year or the beginning of it.

Normally if you come over as a couple an E106 held by either should cover the other. You may be able to piggyback onto your OH's E106 when she arrives but because you have had your own, and I presume therefore afilliation to CPAM, I fear you could find that this throws your local CPAM office into complete and utter confusion [:'(]

Where is your wife now and if not in France why is she on her own E106 anyway ?

I'm assuming you mean her's lasts until Jan 2010 BTW, otherwise why would you be worrying about one day [blink]

Ernie

Her E 106 will last until January 2011 because she is starting it later (and hasn't got it yet I presume because she is still in the UK).  

When she gets her E106 they can go to his CPAM and get  piggybacked onto his wife's 106 which will give them both cover until Januray 2011 when they will have to get PHI or if OAPs an E form.

As much as one would like to hope that all would go as simply as you say we all know that CPAM's (and most other French institutions of course) have an inbred ability to turn the most basic and simple tasks into Olympic worthy obstacle courses.

We can but live in hope [:D]

• 4 months later...
I have two friends who are partners of some ten years but not married. He has an E121, only just qualified. She has an E106 which will expire at the end of January. She will qualify for her own E121 in June. Does anybody know if CPAM would allow her to piggy back off her partners E121 in the meantime?

From reading other posts, I understand that it is up to CPAM to say whether a spouse or partner is covered by an E106, but for the E121 you need to request that your dependents are specified on the E121 when you apply. I am sure someone will correct me if I have got it wrong.

Yes, Tinabee, you are pretty much correct.  Although CPAMs have the ultimate sanction on "ayant droit", they will not even begin to consider this without the appropriate documentaion from the UK.  When you think about it, this is logical as what the E form does is to confirm that the UK  will be paying for the healthcare - and the cash is what counts!  You can only piggy-back onto an E106 which covers "those dependent upon and living with" the holder.  You can only piggy back onto an E121 if a dependent's form has been issued by Newcastle.

If a spouse/civil parnter has built up his/her own entitlement to an E form, then they are obliged to use this until it runs out, after which time they can piggy back onto a partner if they are entitled to do so.

Does it not hinge on the formality of the partnership ?

If they are just living together without a recognised UK civil union or a French pacte civil de solidarité then in effect they have no relationship to each other at all in which case she will not be able to piggy back onto his E121

[quote user="ErnieY"]Does it not hinge on the formality of the partnership ?

If they are just living together without a recognised UK civil union or a French pacte civil de solidarité then in effect they have no relationship to each other at all in which case she will not be able to piggy back onto his E121

[/quote]

It must do Ernie, although if not anyone single and  in need could form a 'partnership' taking it as far as is required to get the 'droit', could replace speed dating that!