X ray advice ASAP, PLEASE!

mint

OH fell today and has 2 very painful knees.

He's getting on somewhat (in age, that is) and he had Xrays last year for an injured knee after being referred to the Xray people via our GP.

We could, of course, ring the GP tomorrow and pop along to see her and ask her for a referral.  On the other hand, it will be Friday and that would probably mean at least Monday before the Xrays could be performed.

Is there a shortcut to getting his knees Xrayed?  For example, could we ring the Xray people direct?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

BTW, I do understand that perhaps it's not that urgent to get Xrays done.  After all, if there is, say, a small crack of some sort, no treatment would be necessary.  On the other hand, I don't want to be accused of callousness!

If your o/h has a history of knee trouble then I cannot imagine that your gp wouldn't be willing to speed up the process for you.  But I agree with Dog (the first bit) - go straight to hospital if you're worried.  My o/h fell over several years ago and complained that his knee was sore.  After a few hours he was in agony and we nipped him into casualty eventually.  His kneecap was shattered into loads of little bits (described by the doc' as "marbled").  I wouldn't take the chance and wait, if I were you.

Edit : Others may know for sure but I'd be surprised if you could get your refund from the state or your insurance coy. if you went direct to the radiographer/logist.

Thank you, Dog and Coops.

At the moment, he's OK as long as he's sitting down.  We'll wait till the morning and, if he's not better by then or the swelling's gone up, I'll whip him along to the hospital.

Many thanks for responding so promptly. That's what I find so difficult in France; you know, not quite knowing what to do for the best.

Definitely go along to your local emergence/clinic/hospital.  We have had to do this three times in the last 7 years for an accident prone teenage son, each time was seen immediately, x rayed, patched/stiched/plastered up, prescription for whatever was needed and home in a very short space of time - great attention and at all times of day and night.  Please don't hang around, go first thing and you will be seen to no problems. Good luck and quick recovery.

Hi, everybody, thanks for all the fantastic advice and kind thoughts.

Here's what happened:  took OH to the local hospital.

Went to the A & E department; shown to a parking space right by the front door that is normally reserved for ambulances.  Porter was there with a wheelchair, though OH insisted on hobbling in himself.

Receptionist took particulars, Carte Vitale and Mutuelle info.

Next thing, OH taken to a room and put on a trolley-bed.  Doctor came, sent him to X-rays.  When X-rays came back, doctor came to look at them.  Said he'd broken his knee-cap.

I've got to go back to the hospital to pick up the X-rays on Monday.  Then he has to be re X-rayed in 10 days' time.

In the meantime, he has to have painkillers for a week, wear a splint (provided and put on by the hospital nurse) and use crutches for a month.

And, guess what crutches are called (yes, Coops, you know, don't you?) cannes anglaises!  I laughed my head off.  Went to the pharmacy for his precription and I expect that all will have settled down in a coupla days.

Meanwhile, besides my usual chief-cook-and-bottle-washer duties, I now have to bring in the firewood and top up the paraffin in the petrole à poêles and walk the dog.

Should be as thin as a rake by the end of the month.  Not only that, supposed to be in England to look after OH's grandchildren for 3 weeks whilst they're between nannies and housekeepers, etc.  Now CANNOT go!  Shame, what!!!!!!!!!!!![;-)]

"Not only that, supposed to be in England to look after OH's

grandchildren for 3 weeks whilst they're between nannies and

housekeepers, etc.  Now CANNOT go!  Shame, what!!!!!!!!!!!!Wink [;-)]"

Which is the lesser of the two evils?

Thanks for reporting back. Do hope your OH makes a good recovery and that it is not too painful for him............... or for you.

Bon courage

Good to hear you got things sorted - but it sounds painful.

I am lucky in have a couple quacks in the family to phone but they always tell me off for ignoring things and battling on.

Sometimes you get more sense out of their nursey wifelets though.

If in doubt go to hospital.

[quote user="JSA Aude"]Good luck, quick recovery and lots of patience!!!!![/quote]

Thanks, guys for all your kind messages. 

JSA, do you mean me or the OH  to have "lots of patience"?

I'm not so good with people who are "laid up" etc but I guess I'll have have to buckle down to it! 

You clearly have a good understanding of the situation, JSA.

And no, I haven't yet told him to "hop it", honest!

Frenchie, no the wait wasn't too long at all.  There were about 3 doctors in what is a small department buzzing around I'm not sure how many patients.

There was no undue hanging about and we weren't told off like we might have been in the UK for using the emergency services instead of our own GP.

Don't hesitate again, having spent up to 12 hours in an A and E in Surrey mid rugby match, given up, only to be told on our return the next day son had to go to the East Grinstead Facial Unit for surgery/Guinea Pig Hospital did we realise just how lucky we are here. Good luck and happy long dog walking. x-