blood test needed

Rivington

I have not yet joined the French health service as we have only been here 2 months and things have been quite hectic healthwise since then. I have taken out full temporary health insurance until my problems are resolved - I am still in the care of a consultant in the uk and for the time being don't want to change to a french one at the moment, although that is my intention eventually. My immediate problem is that I need to get a blood test done and haven't done this before in france. Do I go to the local doctor (who does know me) and ask for one, or do I find a lab and go directly there as someone has suggested? I have the necessary forms from my doctor in uk who does know that I will be getting it done in France.

[quote user="Rivington"]Do I go to the local doctor (who does know me) and ask for one, or do I find a lab and go directly there as someone has suggested? I have the necessary forms from my doctor in uk who does know that I will be getting it done in France.[/quote]

Well, either would work.

With the former, you've got the business of having to see your GP and then go to the lab, but no particular problem.

With the latter, they should be fine with whatever your UK doc has given you (unless some of the nomenclature isn't translatable - some are, some aren't).

I'd take option 1: after all, presumably somebody medical, rather than just you, has to take some action (even if it's no action) on the results?  You may as well involve your French GP right from the start.  You're over here now. 

In my experience the doctor will give you an "ordonnance" prescription which states what tests are to be done. You then take this to the "infirmiere" (like a district nurse) who will take the blood and send it off to the lab. The lab will return the test results to your local pharmacy for you to collect 48 hours later.

The GP costs about 20 odd euros (can't remember the exact amount) and the laboratoire is between 100 and 200 euros, depending on what tests are needed.  The results are very quick.  You get a certificate with the results on, of which you can keep a copy.

[quote user="moonraker"]You can also go directly to the Lab without bypassing the district nurse.[/quote]

Assuming that this poster is suggesting bypassing the nurse, what would that achieve?.   What would the lab be analyzing if its not been written in French for them to know?  Why do people suggest "ways round" what is a perfectly straightforward system?

Although  different places work differently, "normal" route seems to be is GP ( who might take the blood( but if not  > prescription > call nurse > nurse takes blood as per prescription > nurse sends off blood > test results come back to you next day or soon after in the post.  You pay GP and Nurse at time of appointment and invoice from lab, which without French healthcare cover could be very expensive.

One further point if the OP lives in France how can she still have a UK consultant.  If I were her I would go back to the UK and get this sorted out after her "holiday" in France.

My 'normal' route:

Visit doctor.  Blood pressure/lung check followed by a ten minute chat about the world and it's ills.  Obtain ordnance.

Visit lab.  Chat up the nice receptionist.  Have blood taken.  Scrounge lollipop for not being a baby.

Test results arrive by post the next morning.

Carte vitale and mutuelle covers everything.  No cash changes hands.

We did have a nurse come and administer some injections following our car accident.  Her 'needlework' was so rough we called her The Darts Player......[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

No cash changes hands.

[/quote]

Pretty much the same for us although we do have to pay the doctor (subsequently reimbursed) and, if we want, we can collect the results from the lab after 4.00 pm the same day.

Glad I'm not the only one to "bypass" the nurse! I don't do it for economic reasons, just because it's not worth calling a nurse out when the Lab is just up the road. The doctor writes the prescription for the lab, not the nurse.

Bypassing wasn't quite the right word in my first post!

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

My 'normal' route:

Visit doctor.  Blood pressure/lung check followed by a ten minute chat about the world and it's ills.  Obtain ordnance.

Visit lab.  Chat up the nice receptionist.  Have blood taken.  Scrounge lollipop for not being a baby.

Carte vitale and mutuelle covers everything.  No cash changes hands.

We did have a nurse come and administer some injections following our car accident.  Her 'needlework' was so rough we called her The Darts Player......[;-)][/quote]

That's the way it works where I live as well; sans lollipop!

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

[quote user="moonraker"]You can also go directly to the Lab without bypassing the district nurse.[/quote]

Assuming that this poster is suggesting bypassing the nurse, what would that achieve?.   What would the lab be analyzing if its not been written in French for them to know?  Why do people suggest "ways round" what is a perfectly straightforward system?

Although  different places work differently, "normal" route seems to be is GP ( who might take the blood( but if not  > prescription > call nurse > nurse takes blood as per prescription > nurse sends off blood > test results come back to you next day or soon after in the post.  You pay GP and Nurse at time of appointment and invoice from lab, which without French healthcare cover could be very expensive.

One further point if the OP lives in France how can she still have a UK consultant.  If I were her I would go back to the UK and get this sorted out after her "holiday" in France.

[/quote]

Hi,

Re "bypassing "the "district nurse"--in 16 yrs our doctor has never suggested using an "infirmiere" , he gives us an ordonnance, and we take it to the laboratory in our town (there will be one in any reasonably sized town--ours has only about 1500 inhabitants) they take the blood and do the analysis and we pick up the results and pay their invoice(ticket moderateur).    

We use the doc/nurse route and the nurse takes care of the lab' bit.  But then the nearest laboratory is 20ks away and the nurse just 2.  I don't pay for the lab' as that is taken care of by CV and my top-up.  These things do vary according to your location and circumstances. Go to your doc' for the ordanance then do what works best for you, o/p.

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know how I got on.

No need for appointment. Went down to laboratoire yesterday morning. Took a ticket, put CV in machine, number called, details taken by receptionist (gave her CV and mutuelle card). She gave us a form for collecting results. Waited a few minutes and then called in for test.

We were in and out in about half an hour. There were about 5 other people being processed before me.

It was super effecient and I was very impressed.

Off to UK in about half an hour and will be without pc/email/internet until my return.[:)]

Just as an extra point on this subject:  Should the blood always be taken in the morning (sans petit dejeuner as it were)?  My parents have an ordonnance for blood tests and we have told them they should go first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as this is what I was told a year ago by our local lab.  Dad says they have never done that before, although he admits they may have always gone in the morning so lab may be assuming no breakfast.

It will be difficult for them if this is the case as my mother is unwell and does not get up very early.  Nurse route no easier as her "surgery" is 8.30 to 9.15 am.

Mrs H

Depends what the test is for.  Some tests need you to have fasted, for others it doesn't matter.  We always used to joke (used to work in the path lab) that you could tell when it was Friday as lots of the blood samples were congealed with fat - from the Friday fish and chips!