what to do about Carte vitale

mooky

Just feeling a little stressed now by the moving back to UK .  I have a carte vitale, and top up.  Do I have to go to the CPAM and tell them I am going back to UK? I had a difficult conversation in my sante assurance office this am, neither of us could understand, each other pigeon french/english. I want to cancel my top up, but I am sure she was saying I have to go to CPAM first and get a certificate opr something. Thanks in anticipation; m

The AMELI WEBSITE is decidedly unhelpful as to the method of getting out of the system, as you'll see from the link.  But presumably you are paying CPAM something for your healthcare so you'll need to visit them and let them know you're terminating your residence here,or you'll continue to get bills!  When you do this, I should ask for a letter (a pro forma may indeed exist but I can't see reference to this on the page I found) to give to your insurance company confirming your departure date.  What do the t&c's of your policy say?  It may be easier to read them in the peace and quiet of your home than to try to discuss it face to face if you're having trouble understanding one another.[:)]

EDIT ; You certainly cannot have top-up if you are out of the CMU so the company is obliged to reimburse you but it makes sense that they may need proof.

We moved back in December 2008 after nearly 9 years. Being retired we made no contributions to CPAM so our situation may be different to yours.  We cancelled both our CPAM/Carte Vitale and top up insurance by registered letter, using a variation of a basic cancellation letter format obtained from a french website (can't remember which but there are quite a few available). CPAM acknowledged quickly and asked for return of our cartes vitales but it took a couple more reminders before the top up company cancelled and refunded the direct debit payments they hed continued to collect. They did not at any time ask for any form of certificate.

Although my French is good enough to get by on the phone I found it easier to compose a letter in slower time at home saying exactly what was happening and when.  This also worked well for the tax authorities, bank, insurances and all the utilities. 

No I don't pay any monies to CPAM, as I am a poor pensioner! I will try to find letter, and copy. I was told yesterday I have two weeks to completion so I don't want to spend hours at CPAM. I just want to go home.

I understand your feelings!  Links to cancellation letter samples are in Clair's post in this thread:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1626201/ShowPost.aspx

Here is what you want : http://www.mutuelleverte.com/LaMutuelleVerte/mutuelle/pdf/resiliation.pdf

Edit : do be sure to use regisered post as said above.  For safety some people say it is best to fold the letter and use it as its own envelope also, then nobody can say that the registered envelope was empty, if there's any question about the cancellation.

Best of luck with your move back and a reminder perhaps to others possibly considering it that getting disengaged from French bureaucracy (not just CPAM either) can be almost as fraught as getting engaged in the first place and as tempting as it might be to just up sticks and go it is an option which can potentially land you in all sorts of difficulties further down the road [blink]

I tend to agree with you Ernie which is why I, personally, always visit the CPAM in person if there's a query - I never trust them to acknowledge letters etc. But then no visit has lasted more than half an hour (including waiting time) so my office is obviously a bit more efficient than Mooky's.  I wouldn't want to spend hours in her situation either when there's such a lot to arrange (including working out how much space she has for all her stuff.[:)])

Anyone nwouls think I was helpless wouldn't they. It's times like this I wish my 'ex husband' wasn't my ex, or at least have someone to share it with. Blimey i'm feeling sorry for myself now. Plod on Mooky, soon be back in Gods own beautiful Country.