Be careful with Paracetamol

Iceni

John has just bought me 2 packets of 8 tablets each. I was just about to take 2  when I realised that they were 1 g and not 500 gms. The two boxes taken as 2 every 4 hours could well have been fatal. I am not being silly over this as they are also flavoured with grapefruit amd are not at all bitter.

I have an elderly aunt who throws all the packaging away on her pills, finds the writing too small (I had to get my map glass out to read this box and I wear specs). She puts them in her box for the days and then does not know what they are. As they are palatable they would not put off children or elderly ladies.

They are so similar in the green boxes to all the other things like antihistamine that I keep these now in their own cupboard.

They have also recently done this with my stomach tablets (script only) and I have to remember half a tablet a day.

The reduce the contents as they are so dangerous then double the tablet dose - asking for trouble.

Her not him.

Di

Sorry for the confusion, I put it down to the other tablets I am taking. I cannot cope with these 'modern' weights and measures - unless of  course I am cooking something special using a French receipe and then it all goes wrong.

No doubt 'him not her' will tell me off but he is so shattered waiting for this heat to break that I could probably get away with using his Puter - oh I am!

By the way, it is almost impossible to get paracetamol without codiene and I only use those at night if I cannot sleep due to pain - they are prescribed for me but you can buy them - careful, they are addictive as I found out when I stopped taking them at one point.

illiterate and inumerate her not HIM!

Codine in paracetamol, really? We like Efferalgan 1gm, they disolve in water so are easy to take. There is no mention of codine on the pack.

Lots of the pills and potions here are now double strength. Our son, here on holiday, got an inhaler off our doctor and almost took an overdose. Only a single puff required! 

By the way, it is almost impossible to get paracetamol without codeine

It's very easy to buy paracetamol without codeine - ask in any pharmacy.

If you ask for paracétamol générique  you will be given the unbranded paracetamol which is much cheaper. You can specify 500mg or 1000mg and effervescente if you prefer to take them dissolved in water.

Bernice

[quote user="Iceni"]

John has just bought me 2 packets of 8 tablets each. I was just about to take 2  when I realised that they were 1 g and not 500 gms. The two boxes taken as 2 every 4 hours could well have been fatal. [/quote]

I guess you answered your own question!

You really should read the label before you take any medication !!!

JFYI they are sold in packets of 8 for a very good reason? it is less than required for an overdose.

If you buy the well known Doliprane, either in 500 mg or 1000 mg, there is no codeine in it.

But a Doliprane with codeine exists, it is Doliprane codéiné .

I unfortunately take stronger pain killers  ( Topalgic or  Propofan , at worst Morphine [blink] )  because I suffer from a slipped disk .

Last year, my sister was here on holiday and she had a terrible headache, I told her " Ok take  1 topalgic ", but she thought I had said two...

She was sick all day..

Taught me a lesson.

[+o(]

As a FYI a relative did something similar with Ibuprofen .A friend bought her some from Boots and she didn't realise they were 400mg not the 200mg you can buy anywhere .She ended up in hospital after taking several double doses [although this might not have been related].After her discharge I went to care for her and she asked for some tablets Im a nurse and automatically check medication strength I gave her just one explaining why, by the look of horror on her face I knew what had happened

[quote user="NormanH"]To see the effects of painkillers just look at Michael Jackson .
Just tough it out.
[/quote]

If they ever do a top ten for the biggest load of crap written on this forum that has got to be number 1.

[quote user="Jay"]

[quote user="NormanH"]To see the effects of painkillers just look at Michael Jackson .
Just tough it out.
[/quote]

If they ever do a top ten for the biggest load of crap written on this forum that has got to be number 1.

[/quote]

I dont see any of the British media which by all accounts has been full of nothing but MJ, so I may have missed something but didnt he die from abuse or overdose of painkillers?

Or perhaps you thought that Norman was referring to moonwalking! I know that I thought I was hallucinating when I first saw it.

[quote user="tj"]

I guess you answered your own question! You really should read the label before you take any medication !!! JFYI they are sold in packets of 8 for a very good reason? it is less than required for an overdose.

[/quote]

But how many packets am I allowed to buy at the same time ? Will the 2 packets I bought her be enough or should I buy more today to be sure ?

John

Before I had my hip replacement I used to take paracetamol every 4 hours, with one dose of ibuprofen (which gave me indigestion.) This went on for the 4 or 5 months waiting.

I got quite paranoid about going in to ask for them so rotated between 4 different pharmacies. It was wonderful not to need them any more.