Medical Laboratories

colinstone

Welcome to the forum colinstone.

I agree with Gardian that they are privately owned normally but they are associated, if that's the right expression, to the health system.

If you are in the health system then all charges by them are dealt in the same way as, for instance, refunds from seeing your doctor would be. It might help if we knew where you are coming from with the question.

I think that there is often a misunderstanding about 'public' and 'private' among recently-arrived British people in France.

Private establishments (Clinics, Labs etc) have been set up with private finance and need to make a profit, but most of their services are paid for by the CPAM and Mutuelles.

They are not a separate system paid for by insurance or out of the patient's pocket as with private health care in Britain.

So the analysis done by a private lab is reimbursed, as Benjamin says, by the system (with a part at your charge if you have no Mutuelle or are not on 100% cover for an ALD)

On the other hand as pointed out recently on another thread, there are an increasing number of Doctors in private Clinics who demand an extra payment over what is normally reimbursed.

• 2 weeks later...
I am retiring shortly and plan to spend most of my time in Europe travelling in a dutch barge, which is already in France.  I will retain a property in UK, probably let, and remain a UK taxpayer.  Unfortunately the docs have discovered a chronic blood condition which requires simple but regular treatment.  An asprin a day, which is easy and a monthly/bimonthly blood test to monitor which is pretty easy and a lab in Douai charges €15.  The more difficult part is blood letting a unit of blood every 2/3 months.  It should be possible to do on the EHIC, just as kidney dialysis.  My first attempt to achieve it was a shambles and I ended up at the American Hospital in Paris where they took €280, which Newcastle did refund after I pointed out the saga I had with the public hospital in Douai.  Newcastle will probably take a dim view if I continue to do that/go private!!  If I was a drug addict, I could probably do it myself!!

Fortunately better minds than NormanH agreed a reciprocal deal between counties for the EHIC. My O/H worked with 4 members of staff from France who have not paid in to the NHS yet get reciprocal cover so it works all ways.

Personally "Nobody invited you here" comments are not warrented on this forum.[:@]

What do you mean by 'paid into the NHS'?

It is funded from general taxes, unlike the system in France where you do pay into a specific 'régime', which later pays your costs.

In other words French people 'working' (your word) in the UK, and paying taxes taken at source by the employer are already paying into the NHS

Give over Norman - he's only having a periodic blood test in order to monitor a pre-existing condition whilst away.  Hardly a 'health tourist'.

I got the distinct impression that he'd be happy to fund the cost out of his own pocket, provided at reasonable cost.  But if his properly entitled EHIC gives him some refund of those charges from the UK, then all well & good.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Give over Norman - he's only having a periodic blood test in order to monitor a pre-existing condition whilst away.  Hardly a 'health tourist'.

I got the distinct impression that he'd be happy to fund the cost out of his own pocket, provided at reasonable cost.  But if his properly entitled EHIC gives him some refund of those charges from the UK, then all well & good.

[/quote]

I agree. Just because one has an ongoing medical problem that needs to monitored should not mean that one cannot go on a foreign holiday. IMO this would not be described as a 'health tourist'.

In his defence I think Norman was having a "bad hair day" as often  he gives excellent and constructive advice.[:)]

A post has been deleted from this thread.

Forum users may not post messages which : Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.