Contact lenses by internet

Clair

Do you know or have you used Shopping4net?

Their contact lenses prices are quite low when compared with other European internet suppliers

I don't have a current prescription and don't want to wait 3 months for an appointment... I had my sight tested a few monhs ago as part of a medical, so no problems there...

My sight is just fine with the lenses I use, but I am getting low on supplies and I would be interested in placing an order with them...

Thank you in advance for any info you can offer on this Swedish company...

What about 'Specsavers' ?

My daughter has hers delivered to her address at Uni. She gets a 3months supply with the cleaning solution at the time. She's done so for at least 4 years and has had no problems... Perhaps because she had an appointment and prescription there in the first place.....

I was very surprised to learn, a couple of weeks ago, that in France contact lenses are not allowed for sale over the internet. They have to be purchased from the optician at his surgery.

I would never personally buy lenses from the USA, or any other foreign country, having had no end of trouble (when in Britain admittedly) with extra duty charges, non-delivery of paid-for items etc. Particularly when I found that I could get the same product, at a price within a few pence for a 3-month supply, from a high-street optician in France.

I have also read stories of inferior pirated goods being offered by cheap suppliers, and my eyes are too precious to me to take that risk.

So now I use Specsavers, get the check ups done (no charge and quick service) and pick up the lenses when in Britain. I suppose those who travel fewer times than I do might not be able to do that, but it works for me.

Thank you very much for all your comments.

As pointed out above, you cannot get lenses without a prescription in France. As an appointment would take at least 3 months, that's out, and to be honest, I don't need to see an optician anyway...

I do not travel to the UK, so no Specsavers option either.

Thank you for the lensway and visiondirect links, but I prefer to pay in Euros as my French bank charges for non-Euros purchases...

For general information, these are the ones I've compared with (exact same lense used for comparison):

• postoptics: I've used them in the past and I have had absolutely no problem, but they don't do Euros
  • lenscatcher: more expensive than the Swedish site
  • 123optic: as above

I have spoken to the Swedish supplier and they sound ... sound!

Order now placed, we'll see...

[quote user="Will "]

I would never personally buy lenses from the USA, or any other foreign country, having had no end of trouble (when in Britain admittedly) with extra duty charges, non-delivery of paid-for items etc. Particularly when I found that I could get the same product, at a price within a few pence for a 3-month supply, from a high-street optician in France.

I have also read stories of inferior pirated goods being offered by cheap suppliers, and my eyes are too precious to me to take that risk.

So now I use Specsavers, get the check ups done (no charge and quick service) and pick up the lenses when in Britain. I suppose those who travel fewer times than I do might not be able to do that, but it works for me.

[/quote]

Yes Will, I had the same problem when I had lenses delivered to the UK. Had to go to the post office to pick up and pay a huge amount of duty. Here in France, however, they just arrive with postie and I've never had to pay anything.  I buy monthly lenses for me and Focus Dailies for our son, both of which are the  genuine article and a fraction of the cost  at Vision Express in the UK. Delivery time is usually about 10-14 days after the order is placed.

Focus Dailies are currently $36.95 for a 90 pack from visiondirect.com. I usualy buy six months supply at a time to keep postage costs to a  minimum.  Even after postage it works out to around 25€ (or£17) per month.  From memory, the UK opticians charge something like £30-£35 for the same thing.

I use visiondirect as well, and have never had any problems with customs or shipping.  Without them, I'd be forced to wear my glasses all the time, because I can't afford French contacts (I have gas permeable lenses).  The cheapest French quote I got was about 350€, while I paid 75€ total (shipping included) with visiondirect.  

Hi

Here in France I have just started using the progressive lens   contact lenses,  so no need to get my oh reading glasses out in a restaurant now!   Check your mutuelle as mine pays out up to 285 euros per year for contact lenses which just about covers the monthly costs.   You just need tomake sure everytime you leave the eye doctors you get another appt for a year ahead!!

Lollie 44 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...