New Research links retrovirus to M.E.

ali-cat

Some important information for those directly affected or who have relatives suffering from M.E. or Fibromylagia. You didn't even have had to blink to have missed it!

Despite an estimated 17 million people affected worldwide this inexplicably didn't make it onto the UK broadcast news :

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/166838.php

Further as yet unpublished findings are even more supportive of a causal link and promise both a diagnostic test and treatment becoming available.  It now seems unlikely that the UK government can continue its disgraceful failure to fund proper medical research into this disease and to fob patients off with psychological therapies and perhaps now my French GP will now "believe in" this disease.

Mr Cat

Thanks for the link Mr Cat.  I was diagnosed with FMS which is often secondary to diseases which result in chronic long term pain (in my case EDS) but I wasn't aware that FMS was the same as ME?  Maybe primary FMS is the same as ME? I am prescribed low dose amitriptyline which I have found to be hugely beneficial in managing the fatigue and pain.  I have found mixed sympathy and understanding with regard to my FMS (though there is a massive lack of awareness of EDS - so I'm on a hiding to nothing from the outset!).  I think things are getting better with the advent of chronic pain clinics but there is a long way to go yet.  Doctors seem to need something they can see, quantify and measure and flounder when this is not possible.

Hi Scooby.

Fibromyalgia translates as muscle pain and ME/FMS used to be used synonymously until some medics decided to distinguish between those where pain was the primary symptom and those where other symptoms predominate. They then replaced ME with the meaningless CFS catch all.

My own view is that ME and FMS are just slightly different manifestations of the same underlying pathology and the positive XMRV findings in both 'groups' supports this.  For example I have muscle and joint pains but they are not my most debilitating symptoms and don't require painkillers plus I don't have the 'classic' FMS tender points so I'm labelled with ME.

Hopefully this represents a step towards a cure for these 'syndromes' regardless of the label.

Mr Cat