claiming back health costs from securite sociale after treatment abroad

doris day

If it was emergency treatment then if you used an NHS dentist then it would cost the same as for an English person if you used your EHIC.  Otherwise, afaik,  you can't go to another country for treatment and get any of it paid for by France without prior agreement.

Edit : Neither the UK nor France, it seems to me, wants to pay up for dental treatment except of the most routine kind. 

Well the article in Connections suggests otherwise - but it does say you need prior agreement.  I was wondering if anyone had had experience of this.  I would only expect the securite sociale and my mutuale to contribute the same as they would be prepared to do here.  The simple fact is that dental work in the UK is cheaper than in France even with a private dentist - or at least my dentist compared with a dentist I found in the UK. 

Thanks

[quote user="doris day"]Well the article in Connections suggests otherwise - but it does say you need prior agreement.  I was wondering if anyone had had experience of this.  I would only expect the securite sociale and my mutuale to contribute the same as they would be prepared to do here.  The simple fact is that dental work in the UK is cheaper than in France even with a private dentist - or at least my dentist compared with a dentist I found in the UK. 
Thanks
[/quote]

Over the years several people have posted to the contrary, perhaps you should look for a new French dentist ?

There are other things to consider too, for instance the NHS normally only pay for acryllic crowns and bridges (sometimes gold) where as porcelain or porcelain and/or  gold may be the private preference. The same with dentures, there are different qualities...check you are comparing like with like....

Well, I am going to see another French dentist for a second opinion but the dentist I saw in the UK was private and the treatment he suggested was far less intrusive and about a third of the price I have been quoted by my French dentist.  I'm just struggling to make a good decision regarding quite a difficult and life changing proceedure which is not at all cosmetic - that is if you don't count having front teeth as cosmetic!

thanks for you help

Doris

Surely in any case CPAM would only agree to pay for treatment that cannot be offered in France at all, not just because a dentist in the UK  would do something cheaper. 

In any case one would have to travel to the UK so that cost needs to be factored in.

Mrs H (thankfully with pretty good teeth)

The reason I posted this in the first place was that an article in Connections for this month states very clearly you can claim for treatment. (tho not in all cases)  I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this - that's all.   Has anyone else read the article???

Surely the first thing to do is find another French dentist and tell him that you want to preserve as many of your teeth as possible, and ask for a partial denture if thats the course he recommends .......you know you could come back to the UK and the next dentist you see advise the same course as your French dentist.......or find out from your existing French dentist why he recommends the course of action he has......

Dentures aren't something you can just have fitted and forget, they could need adjustment , sometimes several times over a period of weeks when you first get them, also if you go for a partial set and then lose other teeth you may be without them while additions are made (if its an emergency) If you can deal with someone local to you my feeling is that it would be to your benefit.

[quote user="doris day"] I was just wondering if anyone had experience of this - that's all.   [/quote]

I remember a few years ago before we moved to France, that an entreprising boat owner on the Ilse of Wight was transporting people across the channel to France for dental treatment.  Cannot remember if they were able to reclaim costs from the UK.