Will you have the HINI Vaccination?

NormanH

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in the Vendee and my wife has immune system problems in that she takes a very special drug for RA. She saw the Doctor last Friday and my wife thought that he said that both it was not yet available in our area and that indeed she would be written to directly with further details?

Is this correct please?

[quote user="dragonrouge"]We live in the Vendee and my wife has immune system problems in that she takes a very special drug for RA. She saw the Doctor last Friday and my wife thought that he said that both it was not yet available in our area and that indeed she would be written to directly with further details? Is this correct please?[/quote]

I believe that you will receive an invitation (bonne de vaccination?) to attend a vaccination centre, not necessarily your doctor,  direct from the health authorities. It's then up to you whether to have it or not. I think those most at risk will be invited first, but how they're going to work that one out I don't know.

FairyNuff

[quote user="FairyNuff"]

I think those most at risk will be invited first, but how they're going to work that one out I don't know.

[/quote]

Easy, don't give to anyone, wait and see who dies then they will know which groups to give it to next time.

John

"I think those most at risk will be invited first, but how they're going to work that one out I don't know"   Maybe it is done on age. I received an invite from the CPAM for free seasonal flu vaccination for the first time this year and I turned OAP last April. Not taking it up as already have Yersin vaccine every few weeks...................................................JR

• 1 month later...

Well I have had my first part a few days ago and will have my second on the 10th Dec but thats not really the reason I reactivated this thread.

You should take this very seriously especially if you live down south. I saw my doctor today who is also a friend. He diagnosed three people in Quillan today and tells me that brings the number up to just over thirty in the last week. The Perpignan rugby team had to cancel its match last weekend as it has players who have contracted this flu but its not the only rugby club to have this problem. If you have received a letter about getting this vaccination then I strongly suggest you have it especially if you have asthma or a dodgy ticker.

The only side effects I experienced is that it felt like somebody had punched me in the arm for a few days (no bruising though). I don't know if I will suffer any after the second jab (hope not). Of course the side effects (or lack of them) do differ from one person to the other.

Yup, had mine last week.  Wasn't going to have it but then I remember I shall be off on an aeroplane and going skiing in January and was frightened into having it.

Thought I'd had the virus already in the summer but didn't want to take any chances, what with being asthmatic.

Anyway, sore arm but nothing like feeling so bad as after the ordinary flu jab last month.

Don't know whether I shall need Jab Number 2:  I think they said they'd let me know if I need it.

If you want to know the performance of submitting myself to the jab, just let me know and I'll give you all the gory details.  I considered writing a full blow-by-blow account on here but decided against it as I don't want to put anyone off the jab.

This is a really difficult one for me.  I have a 17 year old daughter with learning difficulties, who has been in and out of hospital this year.  She dare not get the flu but can't afford to have side effects either.  Most of our family had the flu back in the summer in France when, by a fluke, she was in the UK so she is unlikely to get it from us.

I was going to telephone my (French) doctor for advice tomorrow when I chanced upon this thread.  What mixed opinions.  It's awful having to decide for yourself what to do, let alone for a dependant.

If you are perfectly healthy and have no medical conditions you won't be 'summoned' for a jab. Basically if you have had a letter then you are at risk so go get it done. If you have not had a letter then you won't be getting one unless you do a specific type of job, well not in the immediate future anyway.

For normal healthy people it seems that it will just be like any other nasty flu.

If you want to know more then you can read THIS which is from the NHS and in English.

The thing is I was quite shocked when my doctor told me this today as I do read the daily newspaper for my region and there is not much in it, unless somebody dies or to tell you where the vaccination centres are. I asked him why this is and he said it because they don't want to cause a panic.

Anyway Norman it's up to Chris it's his right to refuse (assuming he is eligible) just as my wife has. The only thing I could say to my wife is (because like me she got a letter) that I just hope she does not get it and to think of the grief (and possible outcome) if she does but at the end of the day its her choice.

[quote user="Cathy"]This is a really difficult one for me.  I have a 17 year old daughter with learning difficulties, who has been in and out of hospital this year.  She dare not get the flu but can't afford to have side effects either.  Most of our family had the flu back in the summer in France when, by a fluke, she was in the UK so she is unlikely to get it from us.

I was going to telephone my (French) doctor for advice tomorrow when I chanced upon this thread.  What mixed opinions.  It's awful having to decide for yourself what to do, let alone for a dependant.

[/quote]

Has she had a letter?

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Cathy"]This is a really difficult one for me.  I have a 17 year old daughter with learning difficulties, who has been in and out of hospital this year.  She dare not get the flu but can't afford to have side effects either.  Most of our family had the flu back in the summer in France when, by a fluke, she was in the UK so she is unlikely to get it from us.

[/quote]  Has she had a letter? [/quote]

She is only just in the French health system.

It's been interesting to see how the H1N1 vaccination is advertised in UK and in France. I've seen full page adverts by the government in the newspapers, but that's all, apart from the odd mention on news/current affairs programmes on radio and TV. During our 10-day visit to France the info panel giving news of events in the town held a message about it, constantly alternating with more general info.

Then all the way from the south up to the tunnel we saw autoroute info panels about it; from a distance we were expecting news of traffic jams, but it was usually telling us about H1N1. Actually, the autoroutes were empty on both Sunday and Monday, unusual even for this time of year.

I have been invited to have both jabs, the ordinary flu jab and the H1N1.  Had the first one then a few days later went back to the UK for a week, then back home with the worse case of flu I've had for years,  Laid up for a week and it still hasn't totally gone away almost a month later.

I've decided not to have the H1N1 jab - I have so many other needle things and after the last jab, can't face any more side effects when I've just had my annual echograph which has shown up another internal problem caused by my blood condition which needs dealing with.

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]  Has she had a letter? [/quote]

She is only just in the French health system.
[/quote]

In that case Cathy I would read that link I gave (a couple of posts back) as the principle is the same both in the UK and France (what with it being an EU). If she falls in to any of the categories on that list or if there is a special case then contact your doctor here in France. If neither of the two are relevant than she won't be getting one anyway (well not in the foreseeable future). I am not sure if you can pay to have it, it wouldn't be too expensive, between 2.50 to 20 Euros depending what you read.

As to side effects it seems so far that those who have had it here (and much to my relief) have only suffered one side effect, that of feeling like you have been punched on the arm for a few days.

Hope that helps, good luck.

[quote user="Quillan"]. If you have not had a letter then you won't be getting one unless you do a specific type of job, well not in the immediate future [/quote]

Are you sure that this is the case nationwide? My husband has very severe emphysema and isn't considered high risk because he's over 65 but we did assume that he'd be able to have the vaccination eventually and possibly also myself as his carer (and main bringer in of infection!)

I am posting the link below to a BBC blog called 'Fergus on Flu', which is quite informative. Interestingly, only 17% of those catching Swine Flu are over the age of 64, which is the reverse of the normal seasonal flu pattern. Most serious illness is in younger adults and not everyone who gets Swine Flu seriously and requires hospitalisation had previous underlying health conditions.

In Jersey ninety per cent of all school age children from Nursery through secondary schools have been vacinated, without any reporeted ill effects and this seems to have stopped the spread of Swine Flu in its tracks. Now the vaccine is being given free to anyone who wants it and the Jersey health authorities expect around fifty per cent of the islands population to be vacinated by Christmas.

Although the incidence of Swine Flu in the UK seems to be moderating at the moment, apparently the concern is for the New Year when schools go back, bearing in mind January and February tend to be the worst months for flu like illness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/ferguswalsh/