Glasses

Joshua

Hi,

This is new territory for me.

I tried to book an eye test in what I thought was France's equivalent to Spec-savers and the guy looked at me like I had two heads ( Which I don't )

How do you go about getting an eye test and then glasses.

What can expect to pay and what does the top up insurance normally cover

Thanks Joshua

You cannot usually have your eyes tested at a shop that sells glasses.  You have to go to an opthalmologist (ask around or look on phone book.)  This will usually cost you around 40 euros, some reimbursed by CPAM, and the rest by your Mutuelle if you have the right sort.  Then you take their prescription to the glasses shop.  The cost of glasses is generally high here and there are many threads dealing with it.

Hope this helps

Chrissie (81)

We had to wait 7 months for opthalmologist eye test.Last time went to local ,opital eye dept,saw the man in 2 weeks!Glasses quote in France for varifocal glasse 250euros per lense plus frame!!!On line uk,5day service 200£including the sun lense bit! Maude

It's great that most Uk opticians offer free or low cost eye tests, but I assume that they rely on sales of specs in order to subsidise the cost of the eye test. I have never previously thought of this as a possible conflict of interests until I came to France.

Recently I had my eyes tested by a chain of (UK) opticians I had not been to previously, and I was a bit concerned that more time and attention was given to the sale (they called it selection) of specs after the eye test, than to the eye test itself!

I therefore arranged for a second eye test with another (UK) chain, and was interested to discover that the two prescriptions differed, the latter being the same as my existing specs which I had bought two years previously.

It may be the case that opthalmology is not an exact science and that one optician's prescription may differ from another's quite genuinely, but I did wonder if there is pressure on opticians to find that your eyesight has "changed", necessitating new specs.

It begs the question as to whether the French system is better, in that the opthalmologists who carry out eye tests are independent of the opticians who sell the specs, albeit at a greater overall cost.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on this?

When last in UK 2 years ago ,my wife also needed new glasses.Found the delivery a problem in the 3 weeks of our visit from every optician visited.Only a branch of a national chain could supply.These were very good but certainly not cheap,yet they also had the cheek to charge me £2.50 for a replacement nose rubber for mine.Since had them supplied and fitted in France and UK for free,even as a non customer.Also found a descrepancy with prescriptions between the hospital opthalmologist and an "independant".Incidently my wife also contracted an eye infection immediately after the hospital examination in France!Could it have been the eye puffer?You pays your money and still have problems,so apart from costs of glasses,you takes your chance. Not impressed,here or there!! Maude

The SECU reimburse very little and it is a percentage depending on the type of lenses you need. I have just bought a cheap second pair and the reimbursement for frames and lenses from the secu was 12 euros in total. My basic mutuelle reimbursed 82.50 and I paid the balance of 12.50.

This was for the cheapest going as they are literally a spare pair for close work.

A top tip is to find out which opticians your mutuelle works with and go there for them You get a discount and the mutuelle willpay their portion direct to the shop, so you don't have to lay out as much.

[quote user="Ladoix"]. A top tip is to find out which opticians your mutuelle works with and go there for them You get a discount and the mutuelle willpay their portion direct to the shop, so you don't have to lay out as much.[/quote]Quite right.  My top-up (not a Mutuelle)  has deals with both a French high street chain and an internet site - both of which give good value.

• 1 month later...

Four years ago, I waited six months for an eye test with an Opthalmologist as I was due for my two year check up. When I explained this to the Opthalmologist / Surgeon, he told me in perfect English, that he had worked in the UK at various hospitals and this practice by Opticians was completely unnecessary for the majority of people.

After my own eye test he told me to return in two years time as my sight was still in good condition. So four years between eye tests for me is acceptable considering being in my  late (Very) 50s.

This year I returned for another eye test when it was discovered that I was in the early stages of having a Cataract develop in my right eye, immediately I was booked in to have the operation done within the following week. Everything is now back to normality as far as sight is concerned. However the cost of replacement glasses is on a par with the UK prices, my prescription was for Varia-focal + (photochromatic) lenses + frames 360€, and I get a second pair of sun glasses for an extra 1€.

Daft I know considering that I have the photochromatics in my first pair.

• 1 month later...
Hi Joshua

I paid 28 euros to see an 'ophtalmo' in January (I had to wait 6 months!).

I got 19.60 euros back from the social security and 8.40 euros from my Mutuelle.

Look in the yellow pages under Ophtalmologiste

here

The price of the glasses depends on the frame you choose (some designer ones can be expensive!) and the lenses and also what type of Mutuelle you have. I have a basic cover as I only change my glasses every 5 years!

Before getting your glasses ask for a 'devis' and shop around. Take the 'devis' to your insurance company and they will tell you how much they will pay back.

Rachel