EHIC am I the first ?

krusty

I was hoping it would just arrive without a request.

Would you advise requesting a form for a dependent.

Or perhaps just send off the main one with a request for the other form.?

The form for a dependent that you have received is it specific for you with your names already printed?I am wondering if they are freely available in a UK post office,what do u think?MBK

The form I received had my name and number hand written , but they are a special form not the same as UK post office ones.

Strangely the "MED" number they have given me is two digits lower than my wifes ?

I think they will get round to sending them out , but you have to realise this is for Brits all over Europe ......so lots of us. [:D]

Ours arrived two weeks ago, unsolicited, although we did know about the changes beforehand.  My only gripe is why oh why did the UK authorities in their all-powerful wisdom, send two separate envelopes to a married couple living at the same address.  Twice the paper and twice the postage!

Anyone think of a reason why they can't put both forms in the one envelope?

[quote user="David_Janet"]

Ours arrived two weeks ago, unsolicited, although we did know about the changes beforehand.  My only gripe is why oh why did the UK authorities in their all-powerful wisdom, send two separate envelopes to a married couple living at the same address.  Twice the paper and twice the postage!

Anyone think of a reason why they can't put both forms in the one envelope?[/quote]

So who was dependant on who in your case ?

Anyone think of a reason why they can't put both forms in the one envelope?

Yes, I think its a question of law that you are informed separatley.

A while ago friend discovered that her OH had re mortgaged the house without her permission, both forms had been in one envelope and he had simply forged her sig. Some time after that I remember there being a change which meant partners had to be informed separatley

Of course I could be way off beam...

Thanks for replying David and Janet , in this thread I was just trying to give good news to other "dependants" like me who had been left out of the initial postings from the UK.

Hopefully all will get their application forms soon.

Hubby got his EHIC yesterday, after applying for it from the first tranche of letters which came earlier this year.

I'm not his dependent, as I have my own E121, and had mine already via the E106 which was dated long into the future so I had no need to change it when I transferred to the E121, so cannot help regarding "dependent's" form, but just to say it is obvious they are being sent out already.

Mrs Benjamin's EHIC arrived today (primary E121 holder) together with the standard letter which is sent to UK residents.

The Important Information sheet sent with it has as it's second sentence reading "The EHIC card does not provide entitlement to NHS services" which totally negates the reason for giving it to non-resident Brits!

I give up. Will the last person leaving turn off the lights?  [8-)]

Following on from Benjamin's posting,I wondered why the UK had decided to take all this upon themselves. The only reason I can think of is to employ lots of unemployed,more perks for the higher desk bound and a slower rate of receiving any monies due.Or perhaps other E.U. member states don't trust the UK to pay up?

I've never had, and unlikely to ever have an EHIC, but it seems like a brilliant idea to me.

Couple of points. Automated printing and folding machines mean there will be zero human input, saves millions for us each year, saving a few cents on postage putting 2/3/4/5/whatever items in the same envelope requires people, and that requires money. Also UK NHS has the best payment record of any national health service in Europe when we analysis our HealthCare Division. In France the individual hospitals pay. For the record we have a substantial number of hospitals who have never ever paid us for the drugs, or diagnostic machines. Healthcare is political, so normal business practice doesn't apply, therefore they don't go on stop. One of my German colleagues, noted in a rare moment of humour, that without the NHS France would be all dead. He meant the people! Not seen the 2009 figures but with the CMU deficient now into 10s of billions, I bet there's even more not paid. Sad in a way.

Benjamin:  The sentence saying that it cannot be used for the NHS in Uk runs exactly counter to the email I had from the office that are sending out the forms and cards.  I put their answer in an earlier post re this subject.

They categorically told me that if I am taken ill in the UK whilst on holiday I use the UK EHIC card  !!!  I have printed out their reply and will keep it with my new card when I get it.  We hope the cards will arrive soon as we are away on holiday over the end of April, so into the new regime.

"They" don't seem to be able to see the confusion that could arise.

Mrs H

"Thank you for your email regarding the European Health Insurance Card
(EHIC).

The EHIC card covers you while travelling to and staying in European
Countries.

As the EHIC is UK issued it does not entitle you to UK NHS
treatment,but as you are a UK pensioner and a UK passport holder,this
will entitle you to UK NHS treatment."

Now it all makes sense!!!!! Confused [8-)]

[quote user="David_Janet"]

"Thank you for your email regarding the European Health Insurance Card

(EHIC).

The EHIC card covers you while travelling to and staying in European

Countries.

As the EHIC is UK issued it does not entitle you to UK NHS

treatment,but as you are a UK pensioner and a UK passport holder,this

will entitle you to UK NHS treatment."

Now it all makes sense!!!!!

[/quote]

I'm glad it does for you because it certainly doesn't cover me and, I suspect, other dependents of E121 holders.

The qualifying phrase from the email you have been sent is UK pensioner and a UK passport holder.

I unfortunately do not receive a UK pension of any sort.

The gist of the email is probably correct but the sloppiness of what comes out of that department is unforgivable.

Because we travel on the 23rd April and our French EHC expires on the 21st April. ( have sent off for UK main one but awaiting application for dependant) and not feeling confident that the UK cards will have arrived I thought I would apply for the French one as it expires in April they can only say No! following another post from last year to try and get access to the site it says error ,can anyone confirm please I am looking in the right place to apply on line, Thank you, I am going to vos service en ligne then was hoping to find the bit for carte european.

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/plan-du-site.php

Thank you Sunday Driver.

I have spoken with the UK office EHC this morning. They could not understand why I as dependant had not already received my application form, they were kindness itself and checked all data, no problem, she said it was as well that I had phoned and will send another application pronto.Should we have not received the cards before we travel at the end of April I must phone the UK office and they will amend records to say we are covered so that if we end up at docs or hospital record will show it is in hand.She said this was being repeated to others in the same position. If I was awaiting an application and had not received for dependant I would certainly get on the phone now. MBK

• 2 weeks later...

Well the CEAM cards arrived today (valid till March 2011 ?).

But my UK EHIC cards have not arrived yet .

Has anyone else had problems ordering the CEAM on-line ? They send you a code via the post and it only lets you have 3 goes at entering it. We ended up with 4 of these codes through the post before we received one that worked ......all is well now though.[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
We got our new UK cards last week.  When I emailed and queried the fact that it says on the letter sent with them (not exact words but..) "Not valid for NHS services" and "if you move abroad to live or work please return it to us" I received an email back to say, basically," take no notice of that - the rules have changed but we have not updated the paperwork".  Really... have they not heard of word processers".

I have printed off a copy of the email just in case we are taken poorly in the UK and need, say, a GP rather than emergency treatment.

Mrs H

Krusty, can you enlighten me. My understanding has always been that you have EITHER an EHIC card (if you are in the UK health system) OR a CEAM card (if you are resident in France and, therefore, in the French health system). Have the rules changed in some way so that it is possible to have both?