EU Commission Investigation of France

Keni

I wonder if anyone else has seen the report by a.n.other news reporting service for those who have migrated? It's about an EU Commission investigating France and how they are supposedly breaking EU Regulations in forcing those who wish to move to France from other EU countries to fund their own health care for a determined period?

Any thoughts on the powers that be about this?

Yes. I understand France is saying they don't care what the outcome is, the situation won't change. But if they are found to be in breach of regs. what can be done to them - anything?

Probably not.

Across the Union many directives are routinely disregarded and given this particular topics narrow, and frankly somewhat partisan, nature I doubt much pressue will be brought to bear.

Here's hoping though.

I wonder if it's only France where this issue exists ?

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

The rule was introduced following the discovery of abuse of the system by some British residents living in Dordogne, who under-declared their income, thereby obtaining access to the system at little or no cost.

The French government surmised that this abuse was more widespread, so brought the shutters down.

Blimey, someone should have a quiet word in their shell-like, the French government could save a fortune. They should know there are actually some French people in the Dordogne who also underdeclare their income ! I know you can't believe it but it's true. Now take all the suspected French dodgers out of the system and voila, no more deficit problem. [Www]

I understood that the problem was caused by the refusal of the British Govt to allow former government servants' pensions to be taxed in the host country instead of Youkay. At which refusal Mr Sarkozy stamped his rather big foot and said ok, no health benefits.

I understand that the story is true and that the EU Commission is investigating.  How much teeth this has is anybody's guess. 

What brought the change about, imo, was nothing more than a matter of interpretation.  The previous French government interpreted the statute to encompass paying into the state scheme as complying (this my local lefty MEP) , this one says it must be private insurance.  The thing about it is that private schemes discriminate against those with pre-existing health problems whereas the state scheme does not.  I believe that the rule has been applied in a similar way elsewhere but in countries where private schemes are more widespread amongst the native populations and are therefore a) cheaper and b) allow more latitude for those with health problems. This effective discrimination is, from what I can gather, what the Commission is looking into (as several individuals who had cases to make before the rules were changed for existing residents had pointed out to them a couple of years ago).

To add to Chris's post, I just heard of (yet another) UK person living permanently in France who didn't want to fill in tax forms, join the health service/pay health insurance etc etc who has spent a week in hospital following a stroke all paid for with their EHIC.

It's no wonder the UK is in trouble!