Important - changes to E forms

Will

I think that the 'self employed E106' that your DWP person is talking about is that issued to people who, for whatever reason, continue to pay tax and NI in UK, and live and work elsewhere - commonly referred to as the 'workers E106'. This is renewed on an annual basis. The 'normal' E106 which most people have is issued to those moving to another EU country, not working, but have paid sufficient NI contributions to qualify for a continuing period of health cover from UK. Eligibility is determined by your NI contributions record (and to a lesser extent the time of year when you apply). Self-employed NI contributions do not give rise to the same level of benefits as those from salaried employment, so it is rare for self-employed people to get a 'normal' E106 for more than 12-18 months.

Note that the E106 above is now known as S1 (which may be followed by E106 in parentheses). Confusing situations like this should be resolved by the new EU systems, but as always, attempts to remove confusion in one respect give rise to difficulties elsewhere.

That FAQ is quite old now, though the first post (the one from the person who claimed to have worked for Contributions Agency and HMRC) is pretty much as I understand things. The final poster doesn't say on which basis his E106 was issued, but as he refers to being on the final year of a five year term, I would strongly suspect that this is the 'workers' E106.

I hope somebody who knows what they are talking about comes along soon - I have never personally held an E106, E109 or E121 , though I have had E101 forms, which are very similar to the 'workers' E106.

'Oldgit' - just to clarify things, are you currently working and paying UK NI, or are you 'inactive'?

This FAQ page about the EHIC gives a selection of numbers to call or addresses for correspondence, as well as a link to an internet contact form.

As Will says, without knowing which type of E106 you mean, it's hard to say.  My own experience (and that of others in the same position) was that my E106 only lasted 18 months max as I was self employed.  30 months for employees.  But that is the "normal", ie more common on here,  E106 for those who give up work.  The kind of E106 which, for example, ANOther has, is renewable annually afaik, just as Will says, but ANO will know for sure.  If this is the kind of E106 you have then I'd suggest he might be able to help?  He'll know for sure where his EHIC comes from, I would have thought.

It's the first I have ever heard that the self employed get better treatment because that was not what happened to me (happily I then piggy-backed onto my o/h's.)  But as has been said, things change.

The E106 which is awarded to those given up work and moving abroad is quite a rare "gift" from the UK government and certainly in the past was not something which was given to say, Irish citizens, for example.  Whether the new rules have changed any of this, I don't know.  Again, I suggest you contact Solvit, as the EU Commission site suggests, if you continue to reach a dead end in this regard.

If you have no E form and no cover from France or the UK because you are early retired, then of course you must ensure that your private health care covers you for travel abroad - be it in Europe or elsewhere.

As far as the EHIC goes I think the basic point is 'If you are ordinarily resident within the United Kingdom then you will be entitled to a UK issued EHIC' my

understanding of which is that, unless you working in France, be it self employed or working for a French employer, the UK are responsible for issuing your

EHIC,   regardless of your UK employment status.

The part of the line on the ehic.org site which sys 'The EHIC is however not valid for persons who are moving abroad to live' is out of date and does not reflect the current position which changed on May 1st.

Regarding the workers E106, it is issued by HMRC not DWP and is renewable on it's anniversary for at least for 5 years but I have yet to conclusively learn what happens after that. However it's around that time that I'm planning to retire from work by which I'll also have my 5 years in so either way it shouldn't really make much difference. My understanding though is that I should still be entitled to a normal E106 which will neatly carry me to my E121.

That's the plan anyhow !

Thanks, that makes it simpler. Then your EHIC will definitely be issued by the UK authorities (and as a 'workers' E106 it is potentially valid up to five years).

There is an enquiries number in the links I gave above. If they still say they cannot issue an EHIC to you then must point out that the E106 holder is UK resident for tax and NI purposes, and be persistent until you get somebody on the other end of the phone who has a better knowledge of the system.