Important - changes to E forms

Will

It seems to have gone unnoticed on this and other forums that there were major changes to the E forms on 1 May 2010 (part of the same changes to the European reciprocal healthcare agreements that saw alterations to the issue of the EHIC).

E106, E121, E109 etc are now only valid in the non-EU states of the EEA, e.g. Switzerland, Norway, Iceland.

For EU member states, E106, E109 and E121 have all been replaced by a single form, the S1, and E101 and E102 have been replaced by the A1.

The EHIC remains unchanged (apart from the changes to the issuing state that have been well covered here).

Present arrangements remain unchanged for existing E106, E121 etc forms, and, according to the NHS, the new forms give exactly the same level of entitlements as the old forms they replace.

Those currently in France would appear to be unaffected, but new arrivals will need to ensure they have the current and correct forms.

The question that strikes me is how will the French authorities distinguish between S1 holders who would previously have had an E121, and thus been entitled to continuing health cover, and those who would have previously had an E106, who would only get about 30 months maximum? Presumably the S1 forms will have different lengths of validity?

Well spotted, Will!

Sadly, it is now really difficult for me to get the FHI website altered which is annoying when these things happen.   I'll try to see if I can find out what the forms look like - as you say, one presumes that they are adjusted to suit each set of criteria but wihout seeing them it's hard to tell.

Thanks for that.[:)]

As I understand it, previously holders of an E121 because of Incapacity Benefit received 100% health cover, wheras OAP E121s and E106s only gave up to 70% health cover.

I wonder how the new form will diferentiate between the levels of cover (or will everyone be covered only to 70%)?

[quote user="Pommier"]As I understand it, previously holders of an E121 because of Incapacity Benefit received 100% health cover, wheras OAP E121s and E106s only gave up to 70% health cover. I wonder how the new form will diferentiate between the levels of cover (or will everyone be covered only to 70%)?[/quote]

Sorry Pommier and Jimmy, it's not true that people on IB with an E121 get 100%.  That depends on whether the French authorities, ie your GP, signs off on your medical condition being bad enough to qualify for 100% and for CPAM to agree with it.

Jimmy, it's not free at all, whether 70% or 100%, it's paid for by the UK government.  And if you have top up insurance, apart from the odd euro for the state and GP and the 50 cents on medication, by and large we pay the same as the French do up front and should get it back from CPAM and your top up deal.

[quote user="Jimmy"]Or will everyone be covered 100%, the way it should be[/quote]It would be very interesting to hear why you consider that immigrants should receive a higher level of reimbursement than the indiginous population ?

Just to clarify the status of IB recipients with regard to their E121s.

The E121 contains a section detailing the basis of the pension provided, eg old age, invalidity.  If the responsible institution (UK) certifies that the pension is based on invalidity, then the holder is entitled to 100% - the same as a beneficiary of a French pension d'invalidité covering loss of employment through ill health.

The GP signing off a medical condition and CPAM agreeing with it is actually the procedure for authorising a specific affection de longue durée.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

then the holder is entitled to 100% - the same as a beneficiary of a French pension d'invalidité covering loss of employment through ill health.

[/quote]

There are one or two minor exceptions to this rule. The ones I've found out so far are the daily hospital charge for "board" (€17 ish) and prescriptions with blue or orange labels  which only re-imburse at 35%.

• 4 weeks later...
Not that I am aware of and why should they ?

Nor do they receive free healthcare, an IB recipient may be entitled to an E121(S1) which simply entitles them to join the French health system on exactly the same 70% / 30% basis as anyone else.

100% reimbursement may be granted for certain chronic conditions but it has to be applied for through your French doctor.

It depends what you mean by "partner".

If the person receiving the long term incapacity benefit is married then that person also gains entry to the French healthcare system without the need to qualify under the five year rule, by way of being the "dependant" of the person receiving IB. Only Newcastle can answer the question for you as to whether or not the partner is treated as a dependant.

The only "free" healthcare is if your E121 states the reason for it's issue as "incapacity" where most (but not all) costs are covered for the person named on the E121, but not the dependant or if your French doctor agrees and the local healthcare regime accepts their recommendation for certain long term conditions.

[quote user="AnOther"]Not that I am aware of and why should they ?

[/quote]

I trust you are aware of it now then. [I]

Clearly as you have to ask "why should they ?" means you and your wife have the excellent fortune to be in good general health. [:)]

[quote user="AnOther"]

It's bad enough that the E106 and E121 are both now called S1

[/quote]

And apparently there is an S1(E106) - the form formerly issued to those in early retirement etc - and an A1(E106) - the former 'worker's E106'. As so often happens, Brussels has set out to reduce the number of forms and variations and has ended up with more.

As Benjamin has said the 'partner' does not receive 'free' health care and I repeat why should they ?

As I read it on balance his reply tends to support mine not contradict it.

Sorry but I don't understand your 'clearly' point at all [8-)]

Thanks everyone for your replies.  By partner, I meant husband/wife. 

Just to be clear, although they will both get automatic entry into the French Health System under IB (ie the 5 year rule is waived), will they still have to pay CPAM 8% of earnings after allowances?

[quote user="AnOther"]As Benjamin has said the 'partner' does not receive 'free' health care and I repeat why should they ?

As I read it on balance his reply tends to support mine not contradict it.

Sorry but I don't understand your 'clearly' point at all [8-)]

[/quote]

I guessed that maybe Loirette meant spouse, and your reply did not explore this possibility, Benjamin's did however.

This question was posted to try to get an answer for someone with health problems, and an answer that was indeed correct if the word "partner" is taken literally, had no one else  replied, may have made the poster think that they were not entitled to something which they are.

OK, not free healthcover, but a pretty good part of it.

The part of your reply which said "and why should they" made me think that you believed that for some reason that the partner/spouse/husband/wife should not also be entitled to any cover. I was at a loss to think why this may be?

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have a link to the EU directive that brought in the changes to E forms and responsibility for EHIC issuance? We are in the process of trying to renew our EHIC's (currently e106 holders)and are going round in circles with HMRC who tell us to apply online. When we go online to do so, we have to declare we are resident in the UK which we are not!!

[quote user="oldgit72"]

....and are going round in circles with HMRC who tell us to apply online.

[/quote]

Not surprised, given that HMRC have nothing to do with EHICs.....[;-)]

Check out the procedure here:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/Applyingandrenewing.aspx

As you'll see, as a resident abroad, you need to phone.  Number's on the link.

Ah if only it was as` easy as that!!

Tried the NHS, "e106 self employed working in uk" "Not us heres the number for DWP they will help you". Not us say DWP , speak to HMRC. HMRC sorry not us you need to go back to DWP. What I am trying to geet hold of is the EU decree number to quote to somebody in order that they can 'speak to their supervisor'. my brain hurts.

No mention of E106 holders on the NHS site, only e109/e121. I just need to know where e106 holders get an ehic from. From what I have read, since May 1st 2010, the country financing your health cover are responsible for providing you EHIC. As in our case that is the UK (at the moment) then they should provide our EHIC, but who in the UK? We'll have another go tomorrow and I'll post on what if anything transpires.

Just to be clear, you phoned this number?

Overseas Healthcare Team on 0191 218 1999.

The European Commission suggests you use Solvit in cases where a card is refused you:

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=563&langId=en

(Contact link on the right of the page).  I've looked at the new legislation but it is about 100 pages and finding the relevant bit is beyond my - non legal- brain, but I will Google further if Solvit and the overseas helpline can't help you.

Thanks Coops. Yes we did phone that number but as soon as we explained 'self employed E106' they seemed not to know how to deal with our enquiry. The problem seems to be that EHIC and E106 expiry dates do not coincide and we want to travel to another EU country after current EHIC expiry (before E106 expiry). DWP have now advised to apply for E106 extension early so that EHIC can be applied for to run in conjunction with E106 (if we get an extension). We have had our E106 for 2 years already(initial year + extension applied for and given) but I have heard of self employed E106 holders getting 5 years if 'working exclusively in the UK' and applied for annually. Presumably there is some EU ruling on this? or is it open to interpretation by individual governments? If the latter then with the current climate in the UK, then I am not that confident of E106/EHIC renewal. If the former then we may not have a problem with our healthcover.