Help - Cough Medicine which works

minnie

Please please can someone recommend a good cough medicine. My throat is raw from coughing at night, following a head cold. Were I in UK I'd be taking something like Benylin with a sedative effect to help sleep. Aside from laryngitis in the day time very little problem but once my head hits the pillow it gets really sore. I'd rather just go to the chemist and ask for something effective than bother the Doctor!

[quote user="JeanS"]Got to the chemist - I bought one for my mum, which worked better than what she had been prescribed by her UK doctor - however can't remember the name[/quote]

That's not a lot of help, why bother posting!

We buy Acetylcysteine powders (orange drink) which gets rid of phlegm and Hexa spray for "Mal de gorge" which soothes a sore throat.

Thanks. Just got back from the chemist (before seeing replies - I was that desperate). She gave Mucomyst orange sachets for loosening the cough & getting rid of phlegm and Vick vaporub for rubbing or inhaling, together with paracetemol. 9 euros lighter, but worth it if it works!

I know it's boiling hot but have you tried steam inhalations?  Bowl of hot water with perhaps some Frair's Balsam (if you have it) or some Vick or some menthol crystals or just plain if you have nothing suitable, towel over the head, breathe in the steam.

Should loosen the phlegm and soothe the throat (at the same time, opens the pores of the face and cleanses the complexion [:D]).

But be careful and don't scald yourself!

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Sweets, I've just started with the Vic inhaler stuff, so hopefully with the powders as well I'll see some results soon - especially as we have visitors next week. I'd hate their holiday spoiled by my ill-health. I don't usually have these problems and normally throw off a cold in a couple of days. I do think lack of sleep for whatever reason is awful, and I know many people on this Forum suffer from this.

Thanks everyone for your advice - I'm cured again. I would say that one particular remedy helped the sore throat bit enormously and that was a small glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar gargled at regular intervals.

• 3 weeks later...

Pulmo-Baily Cough Syrup.

It’s an old remedy from, I believe Derbyshire, it’s the only thing that’s ever worked for me and I have tried all the so called best to no effect.

There is a site on the Google search engine that states, “If you’re brave enough try Pulmo-Bailly.

1. tea-spoon in a hot toddy and retire to bed, wake up the following morning and the cold has gone.