Lifelong prescriptions

French Frank

My better half currently gets her "for life" prescription free of charge here in the UK (she carries a card for this).

Will she still be able to get this on a E106 free of charge?

I have to pay in the Uk for my ongoing prescription, can anyone advise on the procedure if I need to carry on asking for my prescription.

Thanks

There is no 'free for life' card in France, so you will both have to visit your medecin traitant for regular check-ups and repeat prescriptions.

Your E106 entitles you to the state 'assurance maladie' which covers around 65% of the cost of medicines.  You have the option of taking out a 'mutuelle' top-up policy to cover the shortfall.

Certain serious/long term medical conditions are classed as an 'affection de longue durée' and are covered 100% by the state.  Your medecin traitant will advise you whether either of you qualify.

To save me searching for your previous postings, what contingency arrangements have you made for when your E106 expires and you lose your state cover?

Just to add to SD's reply, the normal way that French doctors and pharmacies deal with continuing prescriptions is that the doctor will give you a three month prescription. The pharmacist will issue one month at a time, stamping and returning the prescription to you after dispensing each month's supply of medication. When the prescription has expired, you re-visit the doctor to get a new one.

As I said, this is the normal method, there are bound to be numerous exceptions and variations.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]The exact life of an E106 depends on when you move. They always expire in the first week of January.[/quote]Whilst that is a factor it's not quite the whole story. The DWP will look at your NI record over the past 2 full UK

tax years, plus the current year, and if you have paid sufficient you might get a maximum of 2.5 years but as Albert says, it will always expire in January.

The title is a bit confusing - even in the UK life-long prescriptions do not exist - as your GP should regularly check that your prescription is up-to-date and regularly monitored with whatever condition you have. But you can get a card which gives you free prescriptions for life is you suffer from certain conditions like diabetes, thyroid disorders, etc.

Or even when you need regular medication under the NHS (two or more items per month) you can purchase a pre-payment card which exempts you from prescription charges and thus represents a useful saving, at £104 per year as opposed to £7.20 per prescription.

There is no equivalent in France - that is taken care of by your top-up insurance.