Hope everyone has declared the rental on thier property

Pads

Does not  apply to me ....do not rent out....but ....I have had to explain that to the French Constabulary already as use of my place by my family members  seems to have caused one of my neighbours with nothing better to do..... put two and two together  and make five ...I suspect people are more likely to find jealous neighbours in France running to the authorities over whether they are paying tax or not.... I dont think they can imagine that we might let sombody use a house for a holiday and NOT  want to make money out of it ...

"Were out to get ya" would have been more accurate, the amnesty against prosecution ended in June 2007 and the article was dated July 2007, a timely warning[8-)]. 

Its not the reward pads, not even sure there is one, but its jealousy that motivates people being reported, why shouldn't the local people be jealous of foreigners with second homes when they struggle to keep a roof over their heads in many rural areas? 

A better check by the HMRC and the French of who is paying taxes would simply be a trawl through the French letting adverts and websites and their contact addresses.[I]

Ron ...They didnt bother to look and see if my house was advertised anywhere ....

The Police just turned up 3 of them.... and .I had to give them my details  my UK address and make  a statement to the fact that  " no person other than myself  was in posession of a set of the house keys ".....So if  I had given keys to sombody to " open the house up " for my visitors ...   I assume they would believe I had employed an  "Agent "  and therefore was " running a business " letting property for holidays ..Had I given out a set of keys to anybody in the village no doubt they would have been questioned as well .....I suspect I would have had a hell of a job if I had  "  an agent" ...to satisfy them I was not making money and avoiding taxes ...

You are quite right Ron ..jealousy  I understand shows of wealth  like Brits arriving in big cars on holiday  can press some peoples buttons when they are hard up....

I dont know if its the same in all regions , but we have been told by local french people that there are rewards for all kinds of dobbing in, tax, working on the black etc.... its well known in our village who these people are , as its not only the british but the french who they dobb in . We have been told not to answer the questions of these people because they arnt just being friendly they are trying to find out information on you.  Not that we are doing anything wrong , but if you dont know there is a a law to break you dont know your breaking it , do you ? 

Yes, there are lots about. My French friends have also pointed them out to me. One guy used to drive round in a big 4x4 looking over hedges and report any building or change activity which might not have been authorized. It is the French way of maintaining order, and one of their best exports I am told.

[:D] Ha ... Thats funny as when talking about this lady ( the one who informs on people ) our friend called her some thing I couldnt catch it was black some thing ... now I know.... crow .... There was I thinking I had learnt a new swear word  [;-)]

LOL be interesting to know what they think of our place - we have various family members who stay at our house (for free) and have 'home exchanged' it five times this year...  (Our neighbour changes bedlinen etc when we have family / home swappers staying.)