Under the RADAR with a perpetual E106

French Frank

Can I open this debate to you all?

My neighbour in France claims that he is not in the French Health system despite living there for two years. He claims that he can get all the treatment he needs with his e106 and will renew it when it expires.

Personally i don't think this can be done, can it?!

If this is the case, what benefit is there to becoming domiciled?

I would say that your neighbour is talking out of his behind.

He may have what is now called an A1(E106), formerly known as the 'worker's E106', that is issued to people living and working overseas but still paying NI contributions in UK. This can be renewed annually, but only for a limited number of times. He is more likely to have the S1(E106) which is issued for a finite period, nominally two years, it can be a little more but can also be rather less, depending on his NI contribution record over the three years preceding its issue. This cannot be renewed, other than by returning to UK employment and paying NI contributions for at least three years.

In either case the E106 is a gateway into the French social security system - you get a French social security number and receive the same benefits as any other French resident. You cannot have an E106 and be outside the French health system.

[quote user="French Frank"]

My neighbour in France claims that he is not in the French Health system despite living there for two years. He claims that he can get all the treatment he needs with his e106 and will renew it when it expires.

[/quote]

No idea sounds like advice from "woofy-banana". I always thought domicile was a term used in taxation and not really relevant to resident health cover.

The EHIC is issued to anyone who is resident in the UK and whose healthcare is covered by the NHS or to anyone resident in France and registered for French state health insurance where the insurance costs are met by the UK courtesy of an E-form.

He would appear to meet neither of those conditions, so he is not entitled to a UK EHIC. 

It is a condition for legal residence in France to have health insurance cover, so he's an illegal immigrant as well.............[;-)]

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="French Frank"]

[/quote]

No idea sounds like advice from "woofy-banana". I always thought domicile was a term used in taxation and not really relevant to resident health cover.

[/quote]

Oi, watch it you or you will find yourself slipping in a banana skin one dark nite!!![6]