Tooth abscess

mint

Hello, fellow sufferers

Some information and reassurance sought.

I've had a very nasty tooth abscess for at least 8 weeks now.  Have been to the dentist, taken the antibiotics and the special mouthwash.

The little pimply thing through which the yucky stuff was discharging has now closed up.  However, I am still getting quite a lot of pain and tenderness near that area.  Is this normal and to be expected?

In the normal course of events, I'd ignore all this completely.  But friends on here will know that I am leaving with Gemonimo for Compostela in a few days' time.

I am nervous about setting off without checking this out as the last thing I want is to be unable to carry on walking because of toothache!

Not dramatic, not earth-shattering but toothache is not something to be dismissed lightly unless you are a stand-up commedian and can make a joke out of it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aarrgghhh Sweet - I am so sorry, If I were you I'd definitely visit the dentist again to check and ask her/his advice. Toothache can be so terrible and debilitating. Hope you can get it all sorted out before you go (when I had a problem, our dentist gave me a mouth wash called 'corseodyl- I was NOT amused). Bonne chance xx (please check your e-mail/merci).

Don't know, Teapot, and not enough days left now to order any over the net.

If it's still as bad as this by tomorrow, I'll try and track down a dentist.

Chances are it will eventually blow over but I am understandably in a state of suspended animation and fright![:'(]

SW17 - Please go to the dentist ASAP. Even if the tooth has to come out.

Sorry to sound alarmist, but the poison from a tooth abscess can spread to other organs and cause trouble.

I had one while visiting son in India, and apart from spoiling the visit, I blame it for other health problems on my return.

I'm sure you'll find a dentist working this week.

Pat.

Doctor or dentist, see one of them Sweet, as it's going to prey on your mind all the time. It does sounds as though the infection continues, and needs checking out. I would guess a dentist should be available now it's after 15th. When prescribed antibiotics I always take Yakult, plus probiotic capsules from the health food shop, as they do nasty things to me too. As you say, maybe too close to your start date now.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Hello, fellow sufferers

Some information and reassurance sought.

I've had a very nasty tooth abscess for at least 8 weeks now.  Have been to the dentist, taken the antibiotics and the special mouthwash.

The little pimply thing through which the yucky stuff was discharging has now closed up.  However, I am still getting quite a lot of pain and tenderness near that area.  Is this normal and to be expected?

[/quote]

Though out my life I have suffered numerous tooth abscesses and I know only too well the suffering you are going through. What concerns me is that you have had it for 8 weeks as the treatment received should have worked in no more than 8-10 days. You really should stop your suffering and have the tooth removed as I do not believe there is now any alternative.  I certainly would not go away without having it sorted, do not be alarmed if the tooth is removed as I am sure the dentist will show you the abscess and you will be pleased to get it out of your system. I hope you will be pain free quickly now.

Baz

Of course if the abcess is too bad then as was said above, removal may be the best option but it may be possible to save the tooth with root canal work.  I had this with a horrible abcess that made the side of my face seem like it was on fire sometimes.  You may have heard horror stories about root work but believe me, it really isn't bad at all (and I'm a baby at the dentist!) it just takes some time in the chair (about an hour in my case)

Afterwards, the relief was instant and complete!! Well maybe a couple of days to settle down but Oh boy, was it good.

Please get it sorted before you go away, it can be fixed and could well spoil an otherwise fantastic journey.

When I had a mouth ulcer I was in total agony. I went to the dentist and he lanced it which gave me instantaneous relief. i then had a course of antibiotics which sorted it out.

It certainly shouldn't go on for weeks.

Hope you get on OK and get it properly treated.

Ouch! Sweet 17 I empathise...  I'm taking the end of a course of antibiotics for the same reason.

If it hurts when you drink hot liquid, and sipping iced water is some relief, then it's definitely an infection.

You may be able to get the antibiotics you need from the pharmacist without seeing a doc or dentist... try something different to the ones you had before as they obviously didn't work for the particular infection. You must take the whole course (14 days, in my case).

And Teapot's suggestion of clove oil, huile essentielle de clous de girofle, can also be bought in a pharmacy. It is the only thing that reduced the pain while the antibiotics were working their magic. (I tried Ibuprofen, Aspirin and Paracetamol at different times, none of them worked) Clove oil tastes pretty horrible... put it on your finger then rub on the infected tooth and gum, between your gum and cheek, to

avoid getting too much on your tongue. Pain relief lasts for between 15

- 30 minutes so you need to keep reapplying it.  I got that tip from the film Marathon Man!

Bon courage with that and the forthcoming walk.

What can I say?  So much sympathy and such touching messages!

I thank each and everyone of you who have posted.

I rang the dentist today and, it being Wednesday (or Monday or Tuesday or Thursday or Friday), there was only the answerphone system.  So, I left him a message and, if he doesn't ring me tomorrow, I'll certainly ring him.

I feel very happy that so many of you are concerned about me and took the trouble to post. 

So kisses all round are in order, methinks![kiss][kiss][kiss]

I hold the view that after some years here in France and with the experience of the French living that one knows one own body.

In the UK you would not transgress to a web site to seek advice of a medical basis and would contact either NHS direct or the new 111 . Thus why Sweet 17 from Porthcawl are you trying to double guess the system. Simply put gets one with it and contact the appropriate organisation. You do not need our approval or preening

I see feathers here|!

Dragon, of course I haven't come to the Forum for a medical diagnosis or for any sort of sympathy or reassuring clucking noises.

I have never had a tooth abscess in my life and, as I'd already seen a dentist and taken a course of treatment and as the pain has persisted, I just wanted to know if that was perfectly normal.

Also, I have the pressure of leaving for Spain in a very few days (too few!) plus the throes of buying a property.

It was just my quick way of tapping into the opinions of people with a history of tooth abscesses themselves as to whether I could expect this level of pain after treatment.  If people had said, oh, yes, that's normal, tough t***y, then I'd happily leave the pain and leave for Spain.

The fact that people have posted with various messages of support was a total surprise to me and something that I find very encouraging and even moving.  It's just very nice to know that people care....

And if you can't understand that sentiment, then it's your loss.

Porthcawl lady we of course disagree and will continue to disagree. But that is life.

Have a good holiday. As to house purchases that is of course for lots of us an ongoing problem but here I still have a home in Chepstow so will probably return and just shut this one down.

[quote user="dragonrouge"]I hold the view that after some years here in France and with the experience of the French living that one knows one own body. In the UK you would not transgress to a web site to seek advice of a medical basis and would contact either NHS direct or the new 111 . Thus why Sweet 17 from Porthcawl are you trying to double guess the system. Simply put gets one with it and contact the appropriate organisation. You do not need our approval or preening I see feathers here|![/quote]

At the risk of seeming to be "preening" myself (actually, I don't think Dragon knows what "preening" means) I thought I'd post an update as I do have sympathisers and friends on here.

Got my appointment with the dentist at last.  He took one look at the abscess and told me that, especially on account of the time I have left before going off with Gemonimo to Spain, he can propose only one "brutal soluction".  I suppose brutal means brutal, whether in French or English.

So, I gritted my teeth (the ones that didn't ache with gritting) and said, well, then, just get on with it please.

I'll spare you the gory details as it's near dinner time but, when he asked me whether I wanted to keep the tooth, I declined with as much politesse and clarity of speech as I could muster.

Staggered away and drove to a chemist for the necessary painkillers and mouthwash.  Mind you, when I realised that the mouthwash was 42.8% proof alcohol, I did consider drinking that instead of the whisky in the pantry.

Nevermind, deed is done, and at least I have 4 days in which to recover before taking the train with Gem.

BTW, Gem, my last 3 emails to you have been returned.  So, if you read this, can you please confirm that it's 12.05 at Gare de St Jean, Bdx?  I'd ring but I'd only be mumbling and I am also worried that you might not be able to get up to the phone on account of your back.

I managed to fall on the stairs this morning and I have a nice bruise coming up on my shoulder so I guess you and I are just not safe to go anywhere by ourselves.

Apologies to subject readers to all this "personal" stuff but I am hoping Gem comes on to read this![:D]

Well of course we want to know how things are!!!

Sorry it's all still been continuing, but well done for biting the bullet (expect you aren't biting much now, though! [:)]) Hope all goes smoothly with the healing, and I'm sure you'll rest easier tonight knowing it's all been removed.

It definitely sounds as though you two need a minder, what with a bad back for one and an abscess and  fall for you! Take care both of you.  [:D]

No she hasn't!!! She's been on a chaise longue in the garden, thinking of next week[:-))] By this time next week we should be trotting (limping and toothless) towards Puente la Reina[:D]

Yes, Sweets it's 12.05 at the Gare St. Jean - I'll be there from approx 10.15 due to the arrival time of my connection from chez moi. You'll recognise me by the shell on my back!!!  I'll email you later and if you don't receive anything, it will be back to this very public forum to tie up our loose ends. 

And drink the whisky - much better than mouthwash. xxx