Cancer

Kitty

With our experience we also found it difficult to use the 'C' word, so we didn't; we made a point when necessary to refer to it, to use the terms used by the Consultants and give it the blunt (and therefore a bit more clinically distant) medical term. We also made the point of telling our son and daughter the full names and treatment detail so that they could see it from the medical instead of the personal view point, which helped a little, we wanted them to understand it without any lack of knowledge so that if they got into any discussions with friends or colleagues they could show they were fully included in the knowledge. Our daughter had the benefit of advice from the Hospital child psychologist in how to deal with giving her children (2 & 6) the full details in small chunks. I can't say that there weren't still many emotional moments and tears (and still) but not through any lack of understanding.

Anyway I bis sure thees'll overcome ital, Good Luck Cath.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cathy, I am so sorry to hear your news and wish you all the very best for a speedy recovery - on a practical note, would you welcome books or magazines to pass the time, or even DVD's if you have a portable machine that plays them. Just let us know what genre you prefer and I'm sure we'll be able to help out.

R/H certainly kept me well supplied with anti-boredom devices when I was in hospital!

So sorry to hear your news, Cathy but everybody on here is rooting for you.  I don't believe in god but I do believe in the power of friendship and we are your friends and we all care about you (and all the other cancer sufferers on this forum, of course) even if we have never met.  When you're feeling down (which I am sure you must be at least some of the time) just remember that you can ask us for any help or support you need - we are always around and on your side.[:)]

Courage!

Oh Cathy, what a shock for you. And for friends and family. Now you're on the road to getting it sorted, remember you need to put yourself first and when people volunteer their help, take them up on it. It will help you (providing you don't then spend free time brooding!) and people really appreciate being able to help in a tangible way. Cancer isn't the horror that it once was, you sound as if you've been diagnosed early and you're in a very good country for efficient and effective cancer care. And the more you talk about it, the more you discover people have had it and recovered and the more "cancer - the word" loses it's power to scare you. Take care of yourself. [:)]

Catapla reminded me - when anyone offers help - say yes please ! And never be afraid to ask for help, especially here.

BTW I'm just back from a break in  Savannah where I shared a room with my friend from the USA .  In 2008 I was with her in France between her surgery for breast cancer and ongoing treatment, now she is back to not only taking a full part in the fairly high pressured  family business and being a great Mum to a young adult but has also started getting involved in mediation, especially for young people who come into the justice system.....something completely new for her.

Bon chance

Thank you for the offers of help.  I shall say if I need help - promise.  My husband is allowed to stay with me in my room and so I shall not be bored, although he does tend to bury himself in the Daily Telegraph. [Www]  I have a hitherto relatively unused Nintendo DS these days and I have stocked it up with Scrabble, a Poirot game etc (if I have the time or inclination to use it).  My children will also be visiting.

I am also grateful to those who have also sent me PMs.  There are far more people who have cancer on the Forum that I realised - your stories are profound and moving.  It is a roller coaster and I am glad that I have 'come out' so to speak.

Hi Cathy

I don't know what you are going through, but can sort of imagine, because 5 days before we were due to move to france i found a lump in breast. Had all tests done in uk etc but could not get results for a week or so (new owners moving into house day we moved out - not good). Had my first week in france frantic with worry and had to walk to a public phone booth to call uk and get results.

I was very lucky - all clear.

You are not so lucky, and I am so sorry.

But one of the reasons why we did not back out in the 5 days prior to moving was that the woman that we had purchased our french property from (french lady) had breast cancer and I had talked to her about it prior to moving, and I was confident that she had received good treatment.

Fingers crossed everyone goes well for you.

Oh Cathy, I do feel for you, and I hope your operation this week is a complete success.

Like Londoneye, I can well imagine the things that must be going through your mind.  I was told just last week that the lump that was found in my mammogram two years ago (and that was thought to be benign) is almost certainly breast cancer.

I'll be thinking of you.

So that's it for the time being.  I'm off for surgery now.  Thank you ALL of you for your Forum messages, your emails and your private messages.  There are far more cancer sufferers on this Forum than members can realise, many of them regular contributors.  We are not alone....  Some of you have chosen to keep your cancer a secret (which I can understand) but have helped me with information.

Once again, the Forum has been a mine of gold for me so that I am better prepared for the procedures.  This place here (the Forum) is wonderful.  You are a great bunch.  Talking of which, I have been singing this all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf670orHKcA

No, Theiere, no "bits" shaved - well, on the outside, that is.  I'll let you know how many male nurses there are - I hope to goodness that there are not too many on a breast surgery ward but they do seem to get everywhere.

Cat - it looks as if I am a couple of weeks ahead of you and so I can help you with some info once I am back home.  The worst thing for me (so far) has been the emotional side, especially with the children.

I'll say this for cancer.  It does bring out the best in people - the warmth with which I have been surrounded has been fan-tab-a-dozy.

I am back from hospital with slightly less than me before I went in.  [:D]  All is well.  The worst thing is an awfully sore throat from the tubes shoved down my throat (a male anaesthetist [Www]).  I'm waiting for a nurse to call to change the dressing and then shall be back online this evening to answer the PMs and emails.  And maybe to comment on the Royal Wedding, which was announced while I was under the knife (good timing Kate and William) ...

Bravo, Cathy!  That's the surgical bit over then and you will be able to tackle all the rest....

Be assured that we are all still here rooting for you.  Indeed, no need to strain yourself.  We don't mind waiting till you are strong enough to come back amongst us again!

Allez![:D]