Qualifying for an E121

Richard

Hi Folks,

I hope I have posted this in the correct section of the forum....

I have just been given some information that I hope is not true, but thought I would ask anyway.   I am a dual-citizen between UK and USA.   When I am eligible to collect a state pension, I will be collecting Social Security from the US.  I don't/won't qualify for a UK state pension.

I was told that because I will be collecting my state pension from he US, that I will not qualify for any sort of health coverage in the French health care system?   Is this true?

Many thanks in advance!

Richard

Richard

I think you may have misunderstood what you have been told.

According to your other 'Help with our plans' thread, you have already planned to obtain an S1 (E106) to give you temporary rights to state health insurance, after which you intend purchasing private insurance until such time as you have been resident here for five years.

Once you reach that point, you will be entitled to re-apply for state health insurance under couverture maladie universelle on a means tested basis.

Lack of an E121 doesn't necessarily exclude you from eventually obtaining health cover, it just means you have to pay for it when you do.

Hi Sunday,

Thanks for your quick response.   Let me see if I understand what you're saying....

Are you suggesting that it doesn't matter where my state pension comes from?   Once we have our S1 (which I understand can cover us for up to the first 30 months, depending on the timing of our physical move, of us living in France full time), then all we would need to do is pay for our medical coverage thru private medical insurance (say, BUPA for example) for the remainder of our 5-year residency "test"?   Then, once we meet the 5-year requirement, we would be able to be covered by the French national health service?

Or, are you saying that regardless of where my pension comes from, once we have our S1 and the time limit associated with the S1 elapses, we are on our own for the remainder of any health care coverage?

Sorry I'm being so thick on this....  but it is a "deal breaker" if we don't have health care coverage; and not at some exorbitant premium (€€€'s).

Cheers!

Richard

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

........you have already planned to obtain an S1 (E106) to give you temporary rights to state health insurance, after which you intend purchasing private insurance until such time as you have been resident here for five years.

Once you reach that point, you will be entitled to re-apply for state health insurance under couverture maladie universelle on a means tested basis.

Lack of an E121 doesn't necessarily exclude you from eventually obtaining health cover, it just means you have to pay for it when you do.

[/quote]

I'll simplify it even further.....

When you first come over with your '30 month' S1, you register for state health insurance and the UK will pay your insurance costs.

When the S1 expires, they'll kick you off the state health insurance and you have to go out and buy your own private cover.

Once you've lived here for five years, you obtain permanent resident status which qualifies you for re-admittance to the state health insurance.

You ditch your expensive private cover and start paying the means tested state contributions of 8% of your taxable income over a threshold (currently 9000€).

The fact that you receive a US pension is immaterial because it gives you no rights of access to state health insurance.

What Sunday said.[:)]

I'll just add that as you are thinking of working in France at some point then you wouldn't get a retirement S1 from the UK anyway - you would be fully within the French system.  Yes, you have to pay a percentage of your income (or turnover in the case of a business) , but EU citizenship and five years' residence or a job/business in France is all that's needed to get into the system.

Thank you Cooperlola!   I think that's going to be the best option for us.   As I am only 53 y/o at present, I do plan to work at least until I'm 62 (hopefully in France).   I would like to get out of this corporate life I currently lead (it's total BS) and do something I enjoy!  Gee, doesn't everybody?  :-)

Thanks again!

Richard