European Health Card

hakunamatata

When travelling we used to ask for a European Health Card to cover visits to the UK. Rules have apparently changed so what are the regulations now? I am travelling from France to Kenya but ordered a card to cover my short time in the UK en route ( I have full travel insurance) I received an email in French which I do not fully understand and hope someone can clarify matters for me.

I think I am right in saying the health card gives you the same access as a national in the country you are visiting. If you have a French card then your healthcare should be free in the UK. One thing that people do overlook is travel insurance for repatriation. If you have a French card then you should get French cover for this so you can have the costs of being returned to France paid for by the insurance as it can work out quite expensive.

The card is for 'emergency' health care and does not cover 'non emergency' health care but it should cover drugs like a repeat prescription although our pharmacy is quite happy to give an 'advance' if we know our drugs will run out while visiting. If you are charged for anything then get a receipt (and keep a copy of the prescription) and send it to whoever you are registered with in France, CPAM for example, who should refund you, never had to do this so I don't know how long it takes. On the issue of insurance you MAY find for holiday use that it is included in your French house insurance, I only say MAY, mine is but I know others who are not. Hope that helps.

Thank you all for your replies and information I had this statement from my Mutuelle provider today - You will need an EHIC when you visit the Uk or any European country, as from May 2010 this is now issued from the DWP in Newcastle to all residents in receipt of a UK state pension. You are also advised to take a travel policy.

Hmm,

So what will happen when I move to France, and because of my circumstances, I have to have full health insurance and wont be able to enter the French system for 5 years how will I get EHIC cover for trips back to the UK?

The irony of this is that my pension is classed as a government pension and will be taxed in the UK, a part of this taxation goes towards national health but that wont cover me and the French system wont cover me either.

I`m begining to feel unloved   Confused [8-)]   

Dexter

[quote user="dexter"]

So what will happen when I move to France, and because of my circumstances, I have to have full health insurance and wont be able to enter the French system for 5 years how will I get EHIC cover for trips back to the UK?

[/quote]

You won't need EHIC cover for trips back to the UK because your "full health insurance" will provide it.....[;-)]

Without reading it I wouldn't like to assume that a policy taken out in France automatically covered me fully, or perhaps at all, in any other country [blink]

Regardless of your circumstances you are entitled to an EHIC and would need it if visiting other countries so just apply for one in the normal fashion.

[quote user="hakunamatata"]According to the DWP if you are not resident in the UK you are not eligible for a European Health Card. I checked up on it today hoping to be able to apply but even if you receive a UK pension there is no card available anymore.[/quote]

Sorry, that's not the case, provided that you are the holder of an E121.

The whole point is that one's competent state (i.e. health care provider) is responsible for providing one's EHIC.  It changed to this a year or so ago, so previously our EHIC's were issued by the SECU, but now by Newcastle.

I'm looking at my UK-issued EHIC now, so it's fact.   

BTW, Sunday Driver has already provided the contact details.

The onlyEU citizens who are not entitled to a CEAM/EHIC are those who live in France (or any other member state with similar regulations) but who are neither covered by an E-form, nor the French state (ie those arriving after November 2007 who have to have full PHI.)  They must rely on travel/health insurance to cover them throughout Europe as they have no "competent state".  As Sunday so rightly points out, their full insurance must take care of that - as per any non EU traveller.  That is "freedom of movement" for you.

No, the reciprocal agreement where the European health insurance card enables French residents to obtain treatment when visiting the UK and UK residents to obtain treatment when visiting France still exists.  The only difference now is who is responsible for issuing the card.

There is no change in how the card is used to obtain treatment abroad.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The only difference now is who is responsible for issuing the card.

[/quote]

.............. and that's because it makes sense that whichever State is responsible for the health care should pick up the bill for any liability incurred.

For goodness sake - this is really beginning to irritate me.   Have you read any of the previous advice that you've been given?  Now ........... one more time: 

Are you (or your partner) an E121 holder?  If yes, then ring the number that SD has given you.  If they're saying "No", then you're either asking the wrong question, or you have no health cover entitlement (provided by the UK).

If not, then are you covered by the French Secu?  If yes, talk to them.

If neither of the above, you're on your own. 

[:'(][:'(][:'(]