Problems with Achilles tendons - advice to buy semelles (soles)

Kitty

My 11 year old son has major tendon problems - his bones are growing faster than his muscles.  He is having physiotherapy (kine) several times per week.

We saw a surgeon yesterday and he has given us a prescription for:

Faire semelles orthopediques avec talcuette? viscoelastiques? (tendiopathie? Achille) - handwritten and therefore difficult to read

Where do I go to get these made?  What are they exactly (I know that they are soles)?

Also has anyone any experience of Achilles tendon problems?

You need to take the ordonnance to a "podalogue" - podiatrist.  It is worth finding a really good one, so ask around if you can.  Ours has all sorts of electronic gadgets that measure the pressure on various parts of the foot when walking, standing etc.  I had dreadful tendon problems last year and the insoles certainly made a HUGE difference, although it does limit the sort of shoes I can wear (presumably not a problem for a young lad!)  You will need to pay up front (mine was around 75 euros I think) and then claim back by putting the form AND the original ordonnance into your Caisse Maladie who should then pass to your mutualiste as usual.

Hope this helps

Chrissie (81)

My husband had these made too. Think that we had to pay quite a lot towards them ourselves. He didn't like them and hardly used them. Yes, we had quite a drive to go to a recommended podalogue.

I have been to 2 podathingies.  One had all the electronic stuff, hot wax to take imprints, computer to analyse pressure points, etc.  Other one used clinical techniques, observation, pencil, paper.

Both sets of soles are fine.  Don't get to use them as I can't find shoes that will accommodate them as well as my feet.

From memory, they cost about 90 euros per pair and I think I had a very small percentage back for the one pair but none for the other.  Don't ask me why as I couldn't be bothered to chase it up.

After a short session with the kiné, I wear talonnettes ( a small wedge about 5mm thick to raise your heel) You must use one for each foot or back problems will result but please ask someone properly qualified first e.g. doc or kiné

Cathy, both my sons had the same problem as yours at a similar age.

This was in the UK and they both had inserts made by the orthopedic depatment at our local hospital.

The inserts worked very well, they each used them for about 2 years IIRC and now are strapping young men with no tendon problems at all

I'm sure your son will benefit  just as much.

Sweet: I've had 'semelles' for a month now. At first it felt like I was walking on pebbles straight off Eastbourne beach, but now I've got used to them and they are fine. I have Morton's syndrome, which was very painful and was getting worse, but is now much better, as is my knee which had 'side-effect' pain. My 'podologue' also sold shoes, but as she is in 06 that won't help you. Look under 'chaussures orthopediques' in pages jaunes and you might find a supplier closer to you. I bought some summer sandals and some indoor shoes. Both are made so that you can take out the insole and insert the prescribed 'semelles'. They also fit in the Mephisto sandals that I already had. I was very resistant to the idea at first, fearing I'd end up wearing 'old ladies' shoes, and I'm only 66! However, they are quite good looking.

Regards, Angela

Thank you lots, Angela.  I do desperately need shoes that will take the semelles.

Also, I have recently been given some wonderful walking boots from Canada that are state of the art but they still don't feel right with the semelles.

Hi Sweet,

Have you tried taking out the inserts that came with the boots? Assuming they are not integrated, that is. I never had trouble with my feet until this recent episode. I shan't be taking them for granted any more. Love those feet! is my new motto.

Regards, Angela

Yes, taken out all detachable inner soles but shoes/boots do not seem deep enough to take the semelles which are very highly built up for fallen arches.

Will look at your link when tight budget permits new shoes![:)]