Breast MRI

sueyh

Hi Suey, I'm the same as Norman, have them regularly on various body parts. haven't had one on the breasts but a friend of mine just did. You have to lay on your tummy and your boobs sort of fit into 2 holes lol. Not at all painfull like a mamogram.

Janey

Just had one and, as said by others, you lie on your front - the only "painful" bit was resting what seemed like all of my weight on my breastbone on the central rod of the contraption, which was very hard!  I hadn't realised it would last about 20-30 mins, otherwise I would have asked if there was something like a piece of sponge rubber they/I could put there.  Very noisy, but nothing else to write home about.  The results come through in about another 15 minutes and you take them back to your GP if necessary.

Best wishes

Chrissie (81)  

Usually they put a drip in your arm beforehand, then do a scan, then inject the produit via the drip nd do the second scan.

You may experience a warmth going through your veins as the injection goes round your system./

I have previously posted on the experience of having a IRM (MRI) scan, if you can find it.

Well I had this done on Monday but since Tuesday have had pain in the top of my arm.  The cannular was put in my wrist so it's not near the site of that.  The pain is from my elbow to shoulder.  Very odd.

Does this sound right???

Suey

Did you lie with your arms above your head, or down by your side?  I had to do the latter as I have shoulder problems.  Hope your problem sorts itself out, but take care not to do anything strenuous with your arms for a bit.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="sueyh"]Well I had this done on Monday but since Tuesday have had pain in the top of my arm.  The cannular was put in my wrist so it's not near the site of that.  The pain is from my elbow to shoulder.  Very odd.

Does this sound right???

Suey
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much, probably the way you were laying on the m/c . Good luck for tomorrow.

After an excruciating day yesterday, I woke up this morning and the pain had virtually gone, still went to docs, he reckons it's muscular. 

Also results through of MRI and it is clear, so good news.

Thanks all as always of your help and guidance.

Suey

• 2 weeks later...
MRI uses a powerful magnetic field, radio frequency pulses and a

computer to produce detailed pictures of organs, soft tissues, bone and

virtually all other internal body structures. The images can then be

examined on a computer monitor, transmitted electronically, printed or

copied to a CD. MRI does not use ionizing radiation (x-rays).

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought that I would revive this thread in case anybody else goes through this procedure in the future and finds it in a search.

My experience today was somewhat different from Chrissie and Suey's since both boobs dropped down the same "trough" (don't know how I can describe it any better) thus I had no central bar to produce any discomfort in the breast bone. Whether the difference in procedure/machine is a local thing, I don't know, or if it's size related (I'm a G cup [:-))]).  It took less than 15 minutes and the results (all clear, whoopee [:D]) were given to me by the radiologist ten minutes later.  Phew.