A Devi Question

Grecian

I am having a bit of a problem dental wise at the moment, and have posted on another thread regarding the cost of dental work in France, and how 200% cover works on my mutuelle. Coops very kindly posted how her own mutuelle works, and I have sent off my devis to my mutuelle (Swiss Life) enquiring how much they will rebate off the devi I received from my dentist. In true French fashion I have heard nothing from Swiss Life, it has been 10 days now.

The above is a bit of a pain, but I need to ask a question regarding the devi I was given by my dentist. The devi comes to €4010 listing 2 extractions, 5 crowns, and a bridge work. After studying my x-ray closely, 3 of the crowns would be purely for cosmetic purposes as all 3 teeth have had the nerves removed, as would be the bridge work. I only want one extraction and one crown to be done off the devi I have for €4010, basically the two teeth that are giving me pain at the moment. I went into my dentist this morning to make an appointment for the extraction and the crown I want done. I informed the receptionist of the work I wanted carried out, she went in to see the dentist and came back informing me he would do the work in the order he chose. Not happy about that scenario, but trying to argue in French I find quite difficult. I now have an appointment for the extraction I want carried out, but not for the crown, God, sorry my dentist will decide the next move. Right after a lot of waffle, here is my question. If the dentist performs the extraction I want, will this then commit me to the entire devi for €4010? I have not signed the devi yet, I was going to ask for a new devi just for the extraction and crown, but the receptionist did not seem too receptive to this, so I think things may end up in a row, as I do want, and cannot afford all the work at the moment my dentist is proposing.

Hi

I have recently had to go to the dentist as a filling had come loose. My dentist told me I would need a crown fitted (I was led to understand that it was not possible to fill again). When I received the Devis in the post, I was a little concerned about the cost so when I went for my next appointment I explained that it was too expensive and asked if he could just fill the tooth and maybe at a later date I would have the crown fitted. He told me it was entirely my choice and that of course he could fill the tooth although it would not be as strong as a crown. I'm going back next week for the filling. So no, I don't think you have to have the other work carried out, especially as you haven't signed anything. If your dentist will not agree to a revised devis, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Grecian - Is it possible that you mis-understood the receptionist's reply? I can't believe that a dentist would insist like that, when you haven't signed the devis. Even if you had signed, you can still change your mind.

Could you find someone fluent in french to clarify? Otherwise try another dentist, as Loirette suggests.

Our dentist has always cooperated with what we choose and can afford. Even accepting post-dated cheques.

[quote user="Patf"]Grecian - Is it possible that you mis-understood the receptionist's reply? I can't believe that a dentist would insist like that, when you haven't signed the devis. Even if you had signed, you can still change your mind.
Could you find someone fluent in french to clarify? Otherwise try another dentist, as Loirette suggests.
Our dentist has always cooperated with what we choose and can afford. Even accepting post-dated cheques.
[/quote]

One of our first ones told us that we could buy a Porsche or get teeth done, that is how expensive it was going to be. Needless to say that we walked away and eventually found one with a sense of reality.

OP You will have to argue or find another dentist. That is the choice, I think I'd be going elsewhere to get a devis and I would ask for options, from getting everything done, to what you want and can afford. I'd also call my mutualist and ask how much you'll be getting back.

[quote user="Grecian"] I informed the receptionist of the work I wanted carried out, she went in to see the dentist and came back informing me he would do the work in the order he chose. [/quote]

That sounds par for the course for any tradesman, professional or person with delusions of being either in France.

You have something to work with now, try another dentist.

Thank you all for your input.

I will try and summarize all the replies you have posted. I have just left a dentist I have been with for three years as he made a mess of three root-canal fillings he attempted. Two of which now the new dentist is attempting to put right, one being the extraction of the root the old dentist left, and trying to crown another attempt at a root-canal filling my previous dentist had a go at.

Regarding understanding what the receptionist was saying to me, she can speak English as she spoke to me in English on my first visit, but today after I said I only wanted treatment for two of my teeth, she reverted to French only. My wife was with me, we have been living in France for 3 years now, we both started at the same level of French, I must admit my wife has left me standing with grasping the language, and it was my wife who pointed out that the dentist will decide on the order of treatment.

I am a bit stuck now with tooth-ache in two teeth one of which I have an appointment for in a fortnight's time for an extraction, but no appointment for the other as the dentist wants to do his own thing, so to speak.

I guess it will be a case of telling the dentist that he is only going to be carrying out treatment on two of the teeth on the devi, and find somebody else to help fund his next holiday. Whatever happens I am only having the two teeth attended to, as none of the others are hurting at the moment, as all the nerves have been removed. So if this dentist will not carry out my wishes, then yep I will be off again in search of yet another dentist.

Sacre bleu!

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Grecian"] I informed the receptionist of the work I wanted carried out, she went in to see the dentist and came back informing me he would do the work in the order he chose. [/quote]

That sounds par for the course for any tradesman, professional or person with delusions of being either in France.

You have something to work with now, try another dentist.

[/quote]

Not sure if that is fair.

I posted on the other thread regarding my visit to the dentist last friday.

Les centres de santé dentaire s'engagent à offrir des soins de qualité aux prix les plus justes. I cant complain about that.

Being a daft old bat, I cannot remember how to shorten the links, or find the post where you explained........... and if you tell me again, I'm not sure if I will remember for the next time. Vive la jeunesse........... where did it all go?[8-)]

Many thanks for the link idun, I will be investigating the centre in Parthenay, after I have 'done battle' with my current dentist next week. I will certainly ask for a devi from them regarding having two false teeth fitted and compare it to the one I have already received.

I guess there will be a long wait for an appointment if they are cheaper than other dentists, although with the two dentists I have been to see already, I have had to wait over six weeks for any treatment from them. Must say I am disappointed with the French dental service as I have had to wait longer for treatment here than the UK. It may just be in the area where I live, and not all over France, but nevertheless still very disappointing.

Did you tell your dentist that you had 200% mutuelle cover? If so, it just occurred to me that he might have thought that the high cost wouldn't matter to you, as you had good insurance cover, and you wouldn't have to fork out.

[quote user="idun"]Being a daft old bat, I cannot remember how to shorten the links, or find the post where you explained........... and if you tell me again, I'm not sure if I will remember for the next time. Vive la jeunesse........... where did it all go?[8-)][/quote]

To shorten a link try http://goo.gl/

Shopping yesterday in parthenay met the secretary of the dentist and had a quick chat.

Well I am now in a position to answer my own query. This morning I visited my new dentist and explained to him that I only wanted the two teeth dealt with that are giving me pain. He looked a little surprised but said no problem, it seems it was just his receptionist that took umbrage with the situation.

Regarding the 200% reimbursement from my mutuelle, as I mentioned it would be €540 for each crown, CPAM reimburse about €75 and my mutuelle will reimburse me €139 for each crown, so it will bring the cost of each crown down to €326, not as bad as I first thought. I will have some of the other work carried next year.

Having had the extraction this morning I must say my new dentist is excellent. I felt no pain at all, and did not know that he had extracted it until he put some gauze in my mouth and told me to bite. Having had 2 other teeth extracted, one in the UK and one in France by a butcher, this new bloke is brilliant, whatever he wishes to charge me!