French Prescription for UK Medicines

stan

I do not know if this is possible, or acceptable here in France, but basically, I am prescribed a painkiller by my French doctor. It is a painkiller that I was prescribed in the UK before I came over here a couple of years ago. For some reason, although the active ingredient is the same, the French painkillers do not work the same. I have compared the actions of both drugs as I still had a few tablets of the UK medicine and it is definitely a difference in the medications, rather than a difference in the effect on my body.

I have spoken to a pharmacist friend in the UK and have been told that as long as I have a doctors prescription (NHS, Private (EU)) etc, the UK medicine can be dispensed. My question is this.....would a French doctor provide a prescription for a UK product. The drug concerned is a minor, inexpensive one, but only available on prescription in both countries no less! In France, the product is called Lamaline, which is co-dydramol. In the UK, the product is simply called Co-Dyramol, but not available here in that name.

Anyone have any experience of obtaining a French prescription for dispensing in the UK? I thought I would ask this forum before I ask my doctor.

I think you should ask your French doctor why you are getting different results with the two products. 

Perhaps the active ingredients are in different dosages - your doctor or a French pharmacist could check this for you.

Bernice

[quote user="Bernice"]I think you should ask your French doctor why you are getting different results with the two products. 

Perhaps the active ingredients are in different dosages - your doctor or a French pharmacist could check this for you.

Bernice

[/quote]

No, same dosages, same composition...not as effective. The Lamaline comes in a soft capsule but co-dydramol is a tablet. Lamaline is not available in tablet form here and lamaline is the only product here in France that is the "same" as co-dydramol.

Thank you for all the responses, I only know that my doctor prescibed me Lamaline when he received my NHS prescription record (which my UK GP gave me before I left for here). My French doctor told me that Lamaline is the French equivalent of Co-dydramol and there is nothing else here similar.

Asking the question again....does anyone know if a French doctor will write a prescription that will result in a UK pharmacy dispensing a UK branded drug?

[quote user="stan"]Asking the question again....does anyone know if a French doctor will write a prescription that will result in a UK pharmacy dispensing a UK branded drug?[/quote]Bernice has answered your question I believe and on the basis that only your own doctor will write you a prescription of any sort asking such an open ended question is somewhat futile [blink]

FWIW according to Wikipedia there are 4 different strengths of Co-dydramol and the stronger ones are known as n France as Remedeine and Remedeine forte so perhaps my point about dosage may not be too far off the mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-dydramol

[quote user="krusty"]

Interesting in a search it says the French version has 3 active ingredients paracetamol ,  opium and   caffeine.

And the UK one is listed with 2 - Paracetamol and dihydrocodeine tartrate .

I hope you get it sorted .

[/quote]

Like Krusty, I question whether the products are actually the same.

See here for Lamaline active components: http://www.doctissimo.fr/medicament-LAMALINE.htm

See here for Co-dydramol active components: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000567.html

• 6 months later...
My son is a pharmacist in the UK and no it is not possible to dispense a french prescription in the UK.

I have just returned from a month long trip with a group of french people. One lady threw her medication in the bin thinking the packet was empty. She had her french prescription but we had to register her as a temp resident and get a prescription from a local doctor.